Returning to Dish after 5 years of streaming and cable

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fattyfatty2by4

Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
East TN & Southwest VA
I am returning to Dish after streaming only for 4 years and Charter cable this last year. Charter DVR is horrendous! I know I want a Hopper 3 but what are the options for a second TV? Wired or wireless Joey? Dish anywhere? My 9 year old really likes the Charter Spectrum app which is live TV streamed thru his Roku 3.
Also, better to use Ethernet for Hopper 3?
Should I wait for August 4th to sign up, because of new packages?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Glad you are coming back! I can't answer all the questions I don't have the Hopper. It might be worth waiting till the 4th/5th to see what DISH will have it's only till later this week, we may not know of all the choices they will have till then. You could get a Joey, 4K Joey if the second TV is 4K. But at this time if you read the posts in the Hopper section the 4K Joey does not do everything it was supposed to yet. The Wally is an updated 211 receiver, and you can add an external hard drive to it and it becomes a one tuner DVR. There is a rumor it will eventually have two tuners but nothing concrete on that. I am not certain if a Wally works with the Hopper 3 or not, but others who are more up on the Hopper can answer.

Reactions: Yragha
Hey,
I would wait for the package changes. That being said, The Hopper 3 is fantastic and easy to use with a beautiful UI. For a second TV I would get a Wireless Joey. That being said you can move that around to other parts of the house, no need for Coax to be installed, or moved around.
I like to use Ethernet if possible when I perform installs, Hard Lined is always a better connection for streaming On-Demand and Netflix on the receiver with it, versus the Wireless. Not saying the internal Wireless is bad, but if you can hardwire it, do it.
Dish Anywhere App is free and can be used with your Dish Account, your son downloads it to his tablet, or iPad and can stream live TV and Recordings off the DVR and even transfer DVR recordings and watch them without using Data while traveling with the Hopper Transfer.
TLDR; Hopper 3, Wireless Joey/ Access Point. Download Dish Anywhere , and enjoy. Use the Hardwire for Hopper of you can for better streaming capabilities.

I just left Dish TV after 6 years in good standing and setting aside the usual very favorable new customer terms I got by jumping ship to D*TV and the $200.00 Visa comp technically speaking the net result picture quality wise was a significantly better HD picture on D*TV than Dish TV with much less MPEG artifacts ,better shadow detail lower noise floor ,better dynamic range and color volume within 720p/ 1080p SDR and no posturization and color stripping on HD and much better overall and sharper HD picture that is usually pin sharp up-scaled to 4K on my Sony XBR here but unfortunately a lousy SD picture on D*TV here so pick your poison there .

It would be nice if Dish TV had the D*TV HDTV picture and if D*TV had Dish TV SD picture ...........you can't win you have to choose what you deem acceptable and I've read some folks like the what I've read are well regarded Hoppers at Dish much better anyway but compared to the older Dish 722K DVR and 211K receiver I had the whole house D*TV Genie DVR and 3 room clients at D*TV are a big improvement but I belive they could be better .

Last edited:
OMG seriously???
You are like a Directv Online Robot!

This is the type of stuff you post in the Directv forums.
That's the purpose.

In the Dish forums it is just starting trouble.

You just had a Vacation no?
Why do you insist on starting back up again when you could just talk with the Directv fans and enjoy your system.
Enjoy the site.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: Tampa8 and bobvick
Thanks for the advice. I will go with the Hopper 3 with a wireless Joey and wait to see how the new packages hash out.

tubetwister brought up the dreaded picture quality issue. My parents have a Hopper with Sling and are viewing on a Vizio LED 60" (budget TV from Walmart). I feel like the picture is not the best on some channels, but I don't know if it's Dish or just the TVs. Charter's picture quality looks good to me and if Dish is close then I'll be happy. I am willing to sacrifice a little PQ for the Hopper 3. If anyone has experience with Charter & Dish, please let me know what you think.

Thanks for the advice. I will go with the Hopper 3 with a wireless Joey and wait to see how the new packages hash out.

tubetwister brought up the dreaded picture quality issue. My parents have a Hopper with Sling and are viewing on a Vizio LED 60" (budget TV from Walmart). I feel like the picture is not the best on some channels, but I don't know if it's Dish or just the TVs. Charter's picture quality looks good to me and if Dish is close then I'll be happy. I am willing to sacrifice a little PQ for the Hopper 3. If anyone has experience with Charter & Dish, please let me know what you think.
VIZIO has some of the best PQ in TV.
Every category of size and Model ranks in the Top 5 CNET reviews.
1st ,3rd,and 5th
They are far from an economy TV.
http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/

Dish HD PQ is bandwidth starved and the 1080i is 1440x1080 instead of 1920x1080 full res.

This gets very noticeable on large tv screens.
The HD PQ I get from my Cable company just through the coax is better than Dish HD.

But definitely not a deal breaker.
If I didn't see a comparison on a daily basis, it would be hardly that noticeable most of the time.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Don't worry you will not see him any more in this forum. ;)
I just don't know why he wouldn't just go to the Directv side and enjoy what they had to offer.

Seems like the Directv side needs members, and some more chit chat.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

VIZIO has some of the best PQ in TV.
Every category of size and Model ranks in the Top 5 CNET reviews.
1st ,3rd,and 5th
They are far from an economy TV.
http://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/

Dish HD PQ is bandwidth starved and the 1080i is 1440x1080 instead of 1920x1080 full res.

This gets very noticeable on large tv screens.
The HD PQ I get from my Cable company just through the coax is better than Dish HD.

But definitely not a deal breaker.
If I didn't see a comparison on a daily basis, it would be hardly that noticeable most of the time.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Just to clarify, I was referring to the particular model, not the brand (Vizio). I have a Vizio 65" M series which I like very much.
If the PQ is the same as I see at my parents' house, then I'm a little worried.

Reactions: Troch77
Just to clarify, I was referring to the particular model, not the brand (Vizio). I have a Vizio 65" M series which I like very much.
If the PQ is the same as I see at my parents' house, then I'm a little worried.
Hopefully they just don't have it calibrated properly.
But IMO I think the HD needs improvement.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

tubetwister is a troll and has no credibility. I think he's been banished from this forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)