Review DMSI 8X1 Diseqc Switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
As part of my big satellite project, I ordered two DMSI 8X1 Diseqc switches. I was assured by the dealer that I purchased them from that they would perform exactly as the Digi-Wave 8X1 Diseqc swithes and that if they didn't I would receive a full refund. The dealer said the specs were exactly the same.

I hooked one up to my partially finished project today to try them out.

The following is the line of progression from LNBF to receiver.

LNBF > 4X4 multi-switch> 4X1 committed diseqc switch> 8X1 uncommitted diseqc switch> receiver.

This setup works very well using a Digi-Wave 8X1 uncommitted diseqc switch. On the other hand it does not work at all with the DMSI 8X1 diseqc switch.

I have two dual output LNBFs hooked to the 4X4 multi-switch number 1. One LNBF with 22Khz off, and another LNBF with 22Khz on. The 4X4 output goes to port 1 of a 1X4 diseqc switch with the output of the 1X4 diseqc going to port 1 of the 8X1 diseqc switch, and travelling from there to the receiver.

After firing up the receiver, and trying for signal from the 14 different LNBFs hooked to the 8X1 switch, I got no signal from anything except the LNBF on port 1 of the 8x1 which is hooked to port 1 of the 4X1 diseqc switch that has 22Khz turned off. The other LNBF hooked to port 1 with 22Khz turned on gets no signal.

What all of this tells me is that the DMSI 8X1 diseqc switch is simply a standard diseqc 1.0 switch with 8 ports that won't even pass the 22Khz tone in this instance.

I tried both switches I have on hand, and both performed the same.

I would not recommend the DMSI 8X1 Diseqc switch for use with more than 8 LNBFs.

Sorry to hear that Linuxman. Sounds like there is something in the circuitry that wont allow it to work as a uncommitted switch and sounds like a committed switch.

Try this...hook a cable from a LNB to port 2,3, or 4 of the 8x1 and if you have one available try it on a receiver that doesnt have Diseqc 1.1 capabilities. If the receiver can read the diseqc port that you try ( port 2,3 or 4) then the switch is not an uncommitted switch. As shown in the Digiwave review an uncommitted switch on a non-diseqc 1.1 receiver wont see anything but port 1

iceberg said:
I can verify it WILL NOT WILL NOT WILL NOT work with a reciever that does not have DIseqc 1.1
Hell the only port that works is port 1...the rest do not work. I hooked it to my Fortec and selected SBS6 and port 1...99%
switched to G10 and selected port 4.....nothing

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1066814-post7.html

I guess you have to get the digiwave ones :)
But ya live and learn

Sorry to hear that Linuxman. Sounds like there is something in the circuitry that wont allow it to work as a uncommitted switch and sounds like a committed switch.

Try this...hook a cable from a LNB to port 2,3, or 4 of the 8x1 and if you have one available try it on a receiver that doesnt have Diseqc 1.1 capabilities. If the receiver can read the diseqc port that you try ( port 2,3 or 4) then the switch is not an uncommitted switch. As shown in the Digiwave review an uncommitted switch on a non-diseqc 1.1 receiver wont see anything but port 1

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1066814-post7.html

I guess you have to get the digiwave ones :)
But ya live and learn

You are certainly correct about live and learn.

If I get time on Monday, I'll give your suggestion above a shot. My second daughter is graduating from High School tomorrow and the day is booked solid. :eek:

I am pretty sure that is simply a "committed" switch, but will try and verify that. :)

. . . hrmmm..... I was sure DMSI just private labeled the switch, when it first came out.
Apparently, that's not so.
The ability to cascade this 8x1 with a 4x1 is what makes it worth having.
Whether it works in any other mode, is incidental! - :(

So, which of our suppliers will be first to get to market with a working 8x1 like the DigiWave?
Or private branding for the same switch?
Sadoun - a long time supporter?
SatelliteAV - supplier of unique solutions?
GoSatellite - make a name for yourself?

Or, the new kid who isn't one of us, but might like to be . . . :confused:

edit: we have reviews here of the -
- Digiwave 8x1
- Emp Centauri 8x1
... and of the two, I only ever considered the Digiwave for any of my projects.

Last edited:
That's a shame, hopefully the dealer will honour his statement of a refund.

Coincidentally, I was salivating, I mean browsing, at the EMP Centauri website yesterday: EMP-Centauri

and noticed that the EMP Centauri 8x1 switch I have is now in two different software versions for DiSEqC 1.1 protocol (in addition to its DiSEqC 1.2 motor protocol):
EMP-Centauri

Since when I bought the switch my Pansat did not have DiSEqC 1.1 (which it does now thanks to one of their software updates), so I only have used it with the DiSEqC 1.2 motor protocol, and haven't even tried DiSEqC 1.1 (so my knowledge of it is zero). Anyhow, I wonder whether the DMSI switch you have is using a different protocol than the Digiwave, something similar to the two different versions that you can now get for the EMP Centauri switch.

The reason I was salivating at the site is that they now have a 17x1 (16 sat inputs plus one terrestrial) which uses the same protocols as the 8x1. Don't have a use for it yet...

I tried your trick earlier using my Pansat 3500 which has been updated to use Pansat's version of diseqc 1.1 and 16 LNBFs.

I had mine set for diseqc 1.0 and tried hooking up an LNBF to port 1, 2, and 3. I got signal on port 1, but none on ports 2 and 3.

I then switched to Pansat's version of diseqc 1.1, tried the same test and still could only get signal on port 1.

I don't have any idea what that means other than it doesn't work. :eek:

The DMSI switches are on their way back to the dealer now for a refund, and I have ordered DigiWaves from another dealer.

I dont know what the heck they are then

A receiver that has only Diseqc 1.0 would act like you just posted (port 1 works fine but not 2 or 3) which makes it sound like its a uncommitted switch. But then it doesnt work like one.

weird....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts