Review DMSI 8X1 Diseqc Switch

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
As part of my big satellite project, I ordered two DMSI 8X1 Diseqc switches. I was assured by the dealer that I purchased them from that they would perform exactly as the Digi-Wave 8X1 Diseqc swithes and that if they didn't I would receive a full refund. The dealer said the specs were exactly the same.

I hooked one up to my partially finished project today to try them out.

The following is the line of progression from LNBF to receiver.

LNBF > 4X4 multi-switch> 4X1 committed diseqc switch> 8X1 uncommitted diseqc switch> receiver.

This setup works very well using a Digi-Wave 8X1 uncommitted diseqc switch. On the other hand it does not work at all with the DMSI 8X1 diseqc switch.

I have two dual output LNBFs hooked to the 4X4 multi-switch number 1. One LNBF with 22Khz off, and another LNBF with 22Khz on. The 4X4 output goes to port 1 of a 1X4 diseqc switch with the output of the 1X4 diseqc going to port 1 of the 8X1 diseqc switch, and travelling from there to the receiver.

After firing up the receiver, and trying for signal from the 14 different LNBFs hooked to the 8X1 switch, I got no signal from anything except the LNBF on port 1 of the 8x1 which is hooked to port 1 of the 4X1 diseqc switch that has 22Khz turned off. The other LNBF hooked to port 1 with 22Khz turned on gets no signal.

What all of this tells me is that the DMSI 8X1 diseqc switch is simply a standard diseqc 1.0 switch with 8 ports that won't even pass the 22Khz tone in this instance.

I tried both switches I have on hand, and both performed the same.

I would not recommend the DMSI 8X1 Diseqc switch for use with more than 8 LNBFs.

Sorry to hear that Linuxman. Sounds like there is something in the circuitry that wont allow it to work as a uncommitted switch and sounds like a committed switch.

Try this...hook a cable from a LNB to port 2,3, or 4 of the 8x1 and if you have one available try it on a receiver that doesnt have Diseqc 1.1 capabilities. If the receiver can read the diseqc port that you try ( port 2,3 or 4) then the switch is not an uncommitted switch. As shown in the Digiwave review an uncommitted switch on a non-diseqc 1.1 receiver wont see anything but port 1

iceberg said:
I can verify it WILL NOT WILL NOT WILL NOT work with a reciever that does not have DIseqc 1.1
Hell the only port that works is port 1...the rest do not work. I hooked it to my Fortec and selected SBS6 and port 1...99%
switched to G10 and selected port 4.....nothing

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1066814-post7.html

I guess you have to get the digiwave ones :)
But ya live and learn

Sorry to hear that Linuxman. Sounds like there is something in the circuitry that wont allow it to work as a uncommitted switch and sounds like a committed switch.

Try this...hook a cable from a LNB to port 2,3, or 4 of the 8x1 and if you have one available try it on a receiver that doesnt have Diseqc 1.1 capabilities. If the receiver can read the diseqc port that you try ( port 2,3 or 4) then the switch is not an uncommitted switch. As shown in the Digiwave review an uncommitted switch on a non-diseqc 1.1 receiver wont see anything but port 1

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1066814-post7.html

I guess you have to get the digiwave ones :)
But ya live and learn

You are certainly correct about live and learn.

If I get time on Monday, I'll give your suggestion above a shot. My second daughter is graduating from High School tomorrow and the day is booked solid. :eek:

I am pretty sure that is simply a "committed" switch, but will try and verify that. :)

. . . hrmmm..... I was sure DMSI just private labeled the switch, when it first came out.
Apparently, that's not so.
The ability to cascade this 8x1 with a 4x1 is what makes it worth having.
Whether it works in any other mode, is incidental! - :(

So, which of our suppliers will be first to get to market with a working 8x1 like the DigiWave?
Or private branding for the same switch?
Sadoun - a long time supporter?
SatelliteAV - supplier of unique solutions?
GoSatellite - make a name for yourself?

Or, the new kid who isn't one of us, but might like to be . . . :confused:

edit: we have reviews here of the -
- Digiwave 8x1
- Emp Centauri 8x1
... and of the two, I only ever considered the Digiwave for any of my projects.

Last edited:
That's a shame, hopefully the dealer will honour his statement of a refund.

Coincidentally, I was salivating, I mean browsing, at the EMP Centauri website yesterday: EMP-Centauri

and noticed that the EMP Centauri 8x1 switch I have is now in two different software versions for DiSEqC 1.1 protocol (in addition to its DiSEqC 1.2 motor protocol):
EMP-Centauri

Since when I bought the switch my Pansat did not have DiSEqC 1.1 (which it does now thanks to one of their software updates), so I only have used it with the DiSEqC 1.2 motor protocol, and haven't even tried DiSEqC 1.1 (so my knowledge of it is zero). Anyhow, I wonder whether the DMSI switch you have is using a different protocol than the Digiwave, something similar to the two different versions that you can now get for the EMP Centauri switch.

The reason I was salivating at the site is that they now have a 17x1 (16 sat inputs plus one terrestrial) which uses the same protocols as the 8x1. Don't have a use for it yet...

I tried your trick earlier using my Pansat 3500 which has been updated to use Pansat's version of diseqc 1.1 and 16 LNBFs.

I had mine set for diseqc 1.0 and tried hooking up an LNBF to port 1, 2, and 3. I got signal on port 1, but none on ports 2 and 3.

I then switched to Pansat's version of diseqc 1.1, tried the same test and still could only get signal on port 1.

I don't have any idea what that means other than it doesn't work. :eek:

The DMSI switches are on their way back to the dealer now for a refund, and I have ordered DigiWaves from another dealer.

I dont know what the heck they are then

A receiver that has only Diseqc 1.0 would act like you just posted (port 1 works fine but not 2 or 3) which makes it sound like its a uncommitted switch. But then it doesnt work like one.

weird....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)