Status
Please reply by conversation.

Titanium

AI6US
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
Meadow Vista, Northern California
Well, I'll get this right out of the way at the beginning of the first post of a thread for another STB.... I took one for the FTA team! The STB has great possibilities, but out of the box, not a strong contender as the DVBS is the standard DTV app. http://www.ebay.com/itm/201544884463

The K1 looks great on paper, quad core S905 performance is exceptionally fast and Kodi works great! DVBS2, well not so great... Here is a great thread that got me interested in testing the unit: http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/11...ic-s905-android-tv-box-unboxing-and-teardown/

IMG_4374.JPG IMG_4375.JPG IMG_4376.JPG IMG_4379.JPG IMG_4380.JPG IMG_4381.JPG IMG_4382.JPG IMG_4384.JPG IMG_4385.JPG IMG_4386.JPG IMG_4387.JPG
Very nice presentation, well constructed and packaged well. Includes the North American AC/DC adapter, HDMI cable and a standard IR remote. Includes a DVBS2 and T2 tuner. The factory states the availability of two DVBS2 tuners or DVBS2 and ATSC, but only could get this sample. Memory is RAM: DDRIII 1GB and Rom: Flash Nand 8GB. Only has USB 2.0 ports and TF supports up to 32Gb. 2.4G WiFi internal and HDMI 2.0. The included remote provides access all menus and settings, but I connected a wireless keyboard/mouse for ease of set-up and input.

The unit OS is Android 5.1.1 with Kodi Isendard and several other preloaded apps like Netflix, Google Play and dozens of others. The unit as many KODI addons preloaded and it is obvious that the unit is plug and play for file sharing and streaming.

The menus were clean and easy to navigate and there was no lag on the remote or keyboard navigation. The DVB app opens to select either the DVBS2 or DVBT tuner inputs. No North American satellites, but it was fast and easy to add the satellites visible in my location. The install menu allows simultaneous switch and motor settings with 22KHz, DiSEqC 1.0/ 1.1 and motorized 1.2 and USALS. There are 64 DiSEqC 1.2 user assignable satellite motor assignments.

The DiSEqC 1.2 motor set-up was painless and quite fast. I had 30 positions configured in about 15 minutes. The motor moving prompt stays on screen for 45 seconds or until a pre-programmed transponder signal is locked, so needless to say, with no pre-programmed transponders, you don't want to move the motor to much.... :)

Many of the standard LO selections are available and a custom for user setting. Blind scan was pretty fast and averaged about 2 minutes on most satellites.It missed the 101w 4MHz separation transponders, but did well when manually entered and scanned. After blind scan is complete, the unit returns to the "All Satellite" list and the last watched channel. THat would drive me nutty, but an engineer should be able to easily fix. It does not do 16APSK, but did find 8psk. Decodes Dolby AC3. :( Have yet to check for ACM channel reception, but will post more when I have more time to test. No 4:2:2 ( I knew one of you was about to ask)!

At first the motor control worked well, but after tuning an unknown channel on 99w the unit no longer would lock on a channel and displayed no signal or quality readings. The motor control also stopped. Rebooted the unit and the channels came back, but the unit would not issue and 22KHz/DiSEqC commands. Removed the 12Vdc power cord for 30 seconds and after the unit rebooted, the motor worked well again and the channels came in fine. This has happened twice already, but still need to figure out what signal is making it go crazy.

Seems to be a good Android Kodi unit with DVBS2 receiver for basic services and a fixed satellite dish. Should have more capabilities and will explore more. A good engineer could likely bring out some great FTA hobbyist features... they probably lurk in the chipset, but just not yet enabled... :D

Last edited:
What is the led light diffuser for? Just power indicator? or ??

Thanks for the great review Titanium. Having played with many different generic "Android" boxes, (S802, S805, S812, S905), they certainly have their appeal however their lack of DRM support ultimately kills them for use an all-in-on device because they can't do Amazon, Netflix and/or probably Google Play at greater than 480p. IMHO, what we as a community need to do is to pick an Android device and somehow find the (unicorn) Android developer to customize an app which will have all the features and functionality needed for North American FTA. Developing an Android app for FTA has the advantage of being able to be used accross multiple different Android devices and the possibility of supporting USB DVB tuner. I'm looking forward to the release of the Wetek Play 2s which seems like a great platform for North American FTA if we could just find someone interested in developing the app

Reactions: Titanium
IMHO, what we as a community need to do is to pick an Android device and somehow find the (unicorn) Android developer to customize an app which will have all the features and functionality needed for North American FTA. Developing an Android app for FTA has the advantage of being able to be used accross multiple different Android devices and the possibility of supporting USB DVB tuner.

I agree and support 100%. I believe that we are very close to the end of dedicated FTA set top boxes running closed source firmware. I actually thought that it would have happened before now.

Definitely will be a community development as no manufacturer or distributor will invest in an open source app or addon that won't sell their specific hardware.

I ordered it off aliexpress. The first seller I asked didn't have atsc though their ad said it was an option. The second one I asked said they could send one with atsc so I ordered it.

Excellent review Brian, thank you. I ordered one from AliExpress on March 23rd via Chinese snail mail and am still awaiting delivery.

My whole reason for ordering it was to be able to receive 60FPS UHD (for NASA UHD) -- thereby justifying purchase of a UHD TV set. :) Have you tried receiving NASA UHD with yours? My U4 Quad gets it, but stutters badly.

Noticed the power supply is rated at 12V 1A. Wonder if a beefier power supply would allow motor operation without blowing up the main board?

Last edited:
I'll be testing more today and will try the UHD 4K.

Successfully running the SDR with external R820T2. The processor handles the wide bandwith waterfalls without a hitch. Too bad the DVBS tuner doesn't have loop out. Be interesting to see if SDR software development could access the internal tuners! :)

Definitely disappointed by the lack of 16APSK as I feel that this is a must for any new receiver. Not sure if it is a tuner limitation or just not firmware enabled. Will tear down the unit and verify the tuner build.

The hardware specs don't provide much information. I will also load the LNB IN port and determine the current limiter protection setting, hopefully it has one! Otherwise, this testing may be ending soon... :(

Increasing the available current on the DC input shouldn't have any effect on the available output current. Increased power supply amperage cannot damage the unit but increased voltage certainly could. As long as the minimum voltage/amperage input is available, the output current should be constant as it is a combination of the regulator components and firmware limit settings.

I have been unsuccessful in finding the SOC specifications. Has anyone found these?

Last edited:
Definitely the most mature Android OS experience for the apps that I have loaded (not satellite app) and lightning fast processor /graphics.

Performed a DTV user data back-up and did a reset on the box. The unit returned to the First Set-up App and original firmware. I was able to reload my user settings. The satellites, transponders, channels, switch and motor settings were restored, but once again, no DiSEqC commands issued with a satellite list or channel change. Enter the motor menu and change satellites and the DiSEqC 1.2 motor command was issued. Exit back to channel viewing mode and motor moves with satellite/channel changes. :facepalm

The UHD 4K 10bit / HEVC channels play smoothly and without any stutter or hick-ups. Yes, Downconverts to 1080p/etc. NBC HD channels also look good without stutter. Allows 4:2:2 recording and able to playback with VLC. There should be no reason that live 4:2:2 isn't supported. Just need the right player.

Not able to find a setting for program vs transport stream recording.

No luck with the ACM Music Choice 125w channels. :(

An odd "feature" used to adjust AV timing (PCR) the audio sampling is shifted and results in a pitch change. I have a near perfect pitch and this "feature" is quite noticeable (can you say irritating) when music track or on a channel with bars and tone. :)

Seems to miss many transponders on blind scans. This might be a firmware parameter that can be adjusted, but who knows until someone digs into it.

I am quite frustrated with the repeated loss of Signal Level / Signal Quality readings with failure to lock on a working transponder until the unit is rebooted or power cycled.

The service information screen provides basic frequency and PID information, but doesn't display resolution, modulation, etc. This makes it hard to know what type of signal you are watching.

The 1000+ radio services on 139w can be scanned, but has the same problem that most receivers have with the oversize tables. Only a portion of available channels are logged with each TP scan. Often the channels are logged without the service name. Once again, probably something that could be tweaked in the firmware. BTW, to toggle between TV / Radio modes, press the Blue button (not documented anywhere that I could find).

I'll keep an eye out for new firmware releases, but don't think I'll leave it hooked-up. Just not ready for satellite viewing.

Interested in how it works with an ATSC tuner!

Last edited:
Definitely disappointed by the lack of 16APSK as I feel that this is a must for any new receiver. Not sure if it is a tuner limitation or just not firmware enabled. Will tear down the unit and verify the tuner build....
I believe it has the Availink AVL6862 demodulator which only does QPSK and 8PSK. Probably no possibility of a software fix for 16APSK. :(
I have been unsuccessful in finding the SOC specifications. Has anyone found these?...
I haven't seen the datasheet yet, but found some info here: http://system-on-a-chip.specout.com/l/1204/Amlogic-S905 The Amlogic S905 has a quad core CPU running up to 2 GHz and a penta core GPU.

Glad to hear it plays UHD without stuttering.

Last edited:
Is it just me or are we going backwards on FTA. Years ago a Fortec or Pansat did everything we needed, but now IPTV,streaming and apps has left the basic receiver behind times. Please someone build a FTA receiver that is just that and reliable. Good motor control and future proof for some of the newer signals like 16 and 32 aspk.

Reactions: mr3p
Opened the unit and the users swap-able tuner board has an Rafael r848 tuner (42 - 2300MHz), Availink AVL6862TA demod.
IMG_4389.JPG

Quite interesting if SDR software could access these T2 and S2 tuners. Imagine the capabilities with coverage 42MHz - 2300MHz and bandwidth of 4-40 MHz. :)

An Openelec image is now available from Vitaliy for the combo S2/T2 tuner and S905! See: http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/03/28/openelec-vitmos-os-for-videostrongvenz-k1-plus-android-dvb-receiver/ (See comments)

Here is a video showing the 4k channels and a few of the K1 Plus satellite app menus:

Have a sample STB on the way that is promised to support up to 32apsk ( and 256QAM), h.265, UHD (10bit). Will see if the manufacturer's claims are supported by their hardware and firmware... :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)