Review of Direct HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

darrencp22

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
Lockport, NY (Buffalo Suburb)
One of the major reasons people give for me to stay with E* is the DVR.

Quite frankly it is nice. How does the D* HD DVR compare?

I know my inlaws have the regular SD DVR and I dont like it. Seems slow, clunky, and the remote seems non-responsive.

Any thoughts? I may bite the bullet on my E* contract but am fearful of a bad HD DVR.

I love my HR20-100. I had the Directivo for over 3 years prior and was fearful at first, but found those fears to be unfounded.

Do you have any specific questions?

Let me know if you'd ever like to see one in operation before switching to D* - we could probably arrange something.

I love my HR20-100. I had the Directivo for over 3 years prior and was fearful at first, but found those fears to be unfounded.

I now find I prefer using the HR20 to the HR10 (TiVo). Granted, both have their strengths and weaknesses, but for my personal uses, the HR20 is a better fit.

One if the things I like is the permanent 30 second slip (I prefer slip to skip because of Sports) on the remote of the HR20, rather than the back door code you have to enter for the HR10. I can always tell when the TiVo's rebooted by the loss of the 30 second skip.

30 skip is coming to the HR20. You will be able to program that button on your remote to do either 30 slip or 30 skip. I have mine set at 30 skip and love it much better than the 30 slip.

I have the HR21 after switching from E* about 2 weeks ago. I previously had a ViP622. Honestly, while the HR21 is functional and does everything I need it to, the interface doesn't "feel" right. The interface on the 622 was intuitive and everything seemed to be exactly where it should be. That polish isn't there with the HR21, though it doesn't mean that the HR21 is any less useful - it does get the job done. I don't regret my decision (just look at all the HD).

Since this discussion is in regard to DirecTV HD DVR's, I am soon to be a new DirecTV subscriber (as of next Wednesday) and I was wondering if the HR20 and HR21 have a UHF remote control? I ask about the HR20 & 21 because I do not know which ones I will get, I have ordered two and would like to hook the extra one up to the extra HDTV and run a line out an SDTV as well and be able to control it in a different room.

30 skip is coming to the HR20. You will be able to program that button on your remote to do either 30 slip or 30 skip. I have mine set at 30 skip and love it much better than the 30 slip.

What is the difference between "slip" and "skip"?

I know my inlaws have the regular SD DVR and I dont like it. Seems slow, clunky, and the remote seems non-responsive.

Any thoughts? I may bite the bullet on my E* contract but am fearful of a bad HD DVR.

I switched from E* to D* last August. The only thing I miss about my switch is what concerns you the most, the HD DVR. My VIP 622 was head and shoulders above this clunker that I currently own, an HR20-700. Everything else about my switch, however, has been all D*, including the biggest improvement--reception. That 129 sat of E*'s is just brutal. One cloud in the sky, and bye bye reception.

What is the difference between "slip" and "skip"?
Slip is the default that came with the HR20. I think of it as a preprogrammed :30 FF during which you can see what's on screen before it returns to normal playback.

Skip will simply jump ahead :30 and you will not see what you missed during that :30.

I have the HR21 after switching from E* about 2 weeks ago. I previously had a ViP622. Honestly, while the HR21 is functional and does everything I need it to, the interface doesn't "feel" right. The interface on the 622 was intuitive and everything seemed to be exactly where it should be. That polish isn't there with the HR21, though it doesn't mean that the HR21 is any less useful - it does get the job done. I don't regret my decision (just look at all the HD).

Agreed. I have two HR20s and previously used the ViP622 with Dish a few months ago. You don't noticed the HR20 shortfalls until you use the Dish alternative. My beefs.....no autotune (you gotta record). No "live" button....you need to FF to live. No customization of DVR begin and end record times....you need to use preset choices that aren't always what you want (I recorded a center ice game last nite that started at 9:30pm and ended at 2:30am. 2:30 am!?!?! I curious to find out what I'm going to see for the last couple of hours). No original broadcast date of programming you're watching (from the TV guide). One thing I do like about the HR20s though is if you are reading the guide and punch up a channel number it will go to that channel in the guide and not change the channels.....like the ViP622 did. Or maybe I was doing something wrong. Also the ViP did not get pause and frame by frame movement right. The HR20s do this well.

Anyway, the HR20s are very functional. Still quite satisfied from making the change. CenterIce shows both feeds, all the HD content available as far as I can tell. Extra Innings promises to be great this year. In the end, it's the programming that's the thing and D* taking care of the sports subscriber. Dish lost me on the last item.

Last edited:

Why do you want to switch?

Slip is the default that came with the HR20. I think of it as a preprogrammed :30 FF during which you can see what's on screen before it returns to normal playback.

Skip will simply jump ahead :30 and you will not see what you missed during that :30.

I have the HR21. How do you change the 30-sec button to do that?

Ive had the 622 and HR20-700. Both are very good dvr's and have positives and negatives. The HR20 is very reliable, so is the 622. The 622 can record 3 (1 ota and 2 sat) shows at once, the HR20 can only record two. More importantly to me, with the HR20, I can record 2 ota channels at once.

The 622 is a little more stable and polished(6 mo's ago), the HR20 has a little more onboard storage space and the guide goes further out.

Both are great, do not use the DVR as a reason to switch or not.

Just to be accurate, the HR20/HR21 can do three recordings at the same time if one of them is a DirecTV on Demand program. Yea, I know it's no the same as being able to do what the 622/722 can do, just wanted to accurate.

Just to be accurate, the HR20/HR21 can do three recordings at the same time if one of them is a DirecTV on Demand program. Yea, I know it's no the same as being able to do what the 622/722 can do, just wanted to accurate.

Did not know that, very good point.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts