Review on the JVC Sirius PnP

There is a Bill Engval dvd out now, gonna go see if it is at the local rental place :) And I found myself listening to Espn Radio yesterday hoping to hear more news on the Quincy Carter eviction from Dallas...Finally starting to hear "reruns" on Raw Dog also but it is still my main channel.

His new CD, Cheap Drunk is out. Very funny! They've played clips on Raw Dog.

Hey Guys,

Sorry it has taken so long for me to post my setup. As you can see, I used the Pro-fit idea ... meaning checked out where the in-dash set up took place, as I did not want to ruin the dash. For my vehicle the mount is through the glove-box. Instead of spending $50 (after shipping) for the pro-fit, I spent $7 by purchasing mending plates from Lowe's. It works great. Visible to the eye and not in the way of the driver or passenger. No problems with airbag blockage either. All-in-all, I am happy with the setup. The first photo shows where the mending plates were placed in the glove-box. The second is self explanatory. The third is where I placed the antenna. Very easy to install. The only wire visible is the plug for power.

Attachments

• JVC install.JPG
    JVC install.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 278
  • JVC install 2.JPG
    JVC install 2.JPG
    469.8 KB · Views: 292
  • Sirius Antenna.JPG
    Sirius Antenna.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 239
I just got my panavise mount yesterday, and will be moving mine from the windshield suction cup mount to the panavise mount this weekend if I have time. It will move my mounting location down about 18 inches from where it is now and get the radio out of the direct sunlight which will be a good thing.

I used my JVC up in Rocky Mountain National Park all weekend last weekend, and it worked perfectly. No dropouts in the trees at all. I also hooked up the home kit for the first time in the cabin that we were staying in and ran the radio for about 16 hours each day for the 2 days we were up there. Once again, it worked perfectly (once I found the satellite with the little home kit antenna...ended up having to put it up on top of the chimney on the roof to get LOS past the trees). Very cool!

And, this morning I decided to watch the antenna aiming screen as I was driving down the freeway to work. What I saw once again amazed me - in several places, the satellite signal dropped to zero, but the terrestrial signal was maxed out. And in other places, sat was maxed out with terrestrial zero. What amazed me was the seamless switching between the two sources of signal with no audible indication that a switch took place. There's no way that the sat signal and the ter signal can be arriving at the antenna at precisely the same time - in the analog video world, that's what causes ghosting of the picture. In the digital video world, it's multipath. The little radio obviously does a great job of time correcting the two signals for seamless switching between them. That's what I find pretty amazing. :)

As anyone else noticed this with the FM Modulation of the JVC? Whenever it's raining and I have the windshield wipers on whenever the wipers cross where the suction cup is I get a bit of static. Very wierd. It goes away when the wipers are off.

I am noticing that the Raw Dog does have a lot of "replays" and am listening more and more to Classic Vinyl and a couple of others (buzzsaw and deepcuts?) Suction cup is holding up good on the jvc pnp. Saw a link at avs for the jvc pnp and fm modulator for around a 100, would jump on but since I have yet to do a "permanent install" no need for now...besides if I get a second unit I think it might be boombox compatable. btw Nuetron, I finally found the Engval dvd for rent, have yet to watch though. :D (5 day rental on 3rd day )

You need to watch it man! :)

The 3rd episode of Blue Collar TV came on tonight and it was hilarious!! I think it was better than last week's episode. They had Ron White on as a guest star this time in a few skits.

I'm looking to replace my headunit in the car with a sirius ready Kenwood with an addon aux input adapter for now. The adapter is only $20 vs $70 for my OEM factory radio. I want it to sound good! Plus this way I can upgrade to a tuner for the HU and move the JVC to the wife's car.

I just want it off of FM Modulation ASAP. I don't like the static I get especially when I'm at work. I must be pulling in a station faintly from Lexington, KY since my work is on the way to Lexington, sort of. When I get 4 miles towards home the static goes away.

I found out something today... in the menu, you can turn up the output level. I maxed mine out and it helped with the low volume and curbed a little bit of the static I hear on the talk channels.

Using the cassette adaptor, I have my output volume set at 2 (almost minimized) and the audio level coming out is still louder than normal radio. :)

I did my reinstall on Saturday with my panavise mount. Not only is it significantly more stable than the suction cup mount, now my JVC is located in a much better location, I can reach it a lot more easily, and it's out of the sun. I'll put up more pics if anyone wants to see them, and I very much recommend dumping the suction cup mount for another solution if you have it mounted to your windshield.

Now to pick up a fuse holder, and I'll have this install finished by tapping into my radio's switched power line so that the power to the JVC will be controlled by the ignition like the radio rather than the power button. :)

I'm listening more the last few days to 60's, 70's, 80's and Buzzsaw. I heard Nina Blackwood (one of the original vj's on Mtv)on the 80's channel the other night :) Cassette adaptor in my 99 truck and fm in my 04. Still have not got to Replay the blue collar from last week Neutron. :)

I have noticed that they replay "American Idiot" by Offspring on Alt Nation quite a bit.

I listen to Classic Vinyl, Buzzsaw, Classic Rewind, Hair Nation, Octane, and Alt Nation music wise. I listen to both Comedy stations.

I sometimes will catch the DFW/Houston weather and traffic station since I'm from the DFW area originally.

Has anyone else also noticed occasional dropouts even when the bars stay at full? I get it out of nowhere and they usually last no more than a half second.

Dash mount on F150

dfergie:

1999 F150 is my work truck too. I highly recommend ditching the
suction cup and using the bracketron f150 mount p/n FOR-205-97.
www.bracketron.com
follow box at upper right to ford f150.

Yes you will be out about $30, but simple to install,
very stable, conveniently placed between power/lighter
and ashtray and looks good imho.

Good thread -- I good some good ideas from it. Thx.

rexhaus said:
dfergie:

1999 F150 is my work truck too. I highly recommend ditching the
suction cup and using the bracketron f150 mount p/n FOR-205-97.
www.bracketron.com
follow box at upper right to ford f150.

Yes you will be out about $30, but simple to install,
very stable, conveniently placed between power/lighter
and ashtray and looks good imho.

Good thread -- I good some good ideas from it. Thx.
Right now I'm swapping it between my 99 and my 04 but thanks for the info.

Anyone notice that Sirius frequently has the same artist on several channels? This morning Fleetwood Mac was on Classic Vinyl and I think 70's and Stevie Nicks was on another channel. The Boss was also on a couple at the same time(different songs), as well as Led Zepplin.

I noticed Classic Rewind had a song on that right after it was over BuzzSaw had the same song start.

I have noticed the artists cross over to other streams.