Review on the JVC Sirius PnP

I finially got a picture of my install. I used an old cell phone mount.

Attachments

• IM000247.JPG
    IM000247.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 287
I finally took my home unit out of the packaging and put it in my ht room tonight. SQ not as good as DVD for sure. Got a good signal with the home antenna though. And the remote works alot better from 4' away than at 1' :) . Might move to my Livingroom so I can compare sound...6000u vs JVC pnp.

Nice Unit

I just finished installing at KT-SR1000 kit in my 2003 Infiniti G35 sedan. The built-in Bose radio does not have a line-in port so I am presently using the built-in FM modulator (on 88.3MHz in local area). The unit is somewhat large, and ended-up being mounted on a shim-plate on the upper-center console; no problems. The display is quite large and legible from the 2-3 foot viewing range, and the combination of red lit matrix display and auto-dimming works quite well at night. The built-in FM modulator is very effective in terms of overpowering any residual in-band noise in the (choice of 4) FM bands; the signal-to-noise ratio is very good, no pops, hum, buzz, etc. As for the sound quality of the wireless FM modulator, I am a comm engineer and have placed the unit on my test equipment to measure the bandwidth and dynamic range response; the results are quite good vis-a-vis similar products, but does leave significant for improvement in the high frequency response >14 KHz. I was tempted to opt for a wired FM connection with a switching box, but decided against that as the digital to analog (2v-PP) and analog preamp is common to both wireless and wired and only final gain/amplifier stage is skipped. I doubt that the final stage is the limiting factor in the upper band tailoff so I just stayed with the wireless FM setup. Drops and fades are minimal (just line-of-sight obstructions and the combination of heavy tree foliage and periodic low satellite elevation angles. So..the bottom line is: inexpensive, easy to use, easy to view, a tad big, gets warm (but not excessive), sounds very good on built-in FM modulator, has room for further sonic improvement (wired connection to receivers with line-in).

Welcome to Sat Guys TRauppius, I get good sound with my cassette adapter in my older 150, the fm kinda lacks...but in my 04 150 it sounds good. Have cd in it... I'm in my late 40's so my vision is not as acute as it used to be so I keep mine on my window, easier to see.

You definately don't look it in your avatar. I would have guessed early 30's.

Does your JVC PnP output a lot of base? I have my radio set to 3 on the base meter and I can tell there's more base than regular radio and CDs.

Update to Nice Unit Installation

After a few more days with the KS-6002's built-in FM modulator I have changed my mind a bit. Originally, I did not have much interference from local stations adjacent to the 88.3MHz position I am using. But I am starting to notice that the local stations at 88.1 and 88.5 do bleed over into both the 88.3 and 88.7 selectable positions. The signal-to-noise (SNR) degradation is not noticeable on most pop or country music, but it definitely noticeable on quiet stuff like soft passages in classical music or even voice converations in the pauses between words. Consequently, I have ordered an Audiovox FM switch box (part number SIRSWB, $12.99 at circuitwarehouse.net) and will directly connnect my I/F level FM output on the cradle into this small switching relay that automatically switches between the car's FM antenna and the Sirius unit's FM output whenever the Sirius unit powered-up. This should eliminate any and all extraneous noise/signals competing with Sirius signal. I will let you know how this turns out next week, here's hoping.....

Hehe, mine has caused my front speakers to start rattling a little bit. :D

Success, the addition of the hardwired FM modulator switchbox has been worth the effort. I ended-up using the Audiovox SIR-SWB switchbox, and the only thing I needed to add was a 1/8" to a 3/32" plug (JVC size) adapter. Now when the Sirius FM modulator is on there is no background noise or local FM station interference to fight; the sound is noticeably cleaner and quiter.

An an interesting "glitch" I hope... this morning when I got in my truck to come home from work...the display would not work right. On Raw Dog it would not display anything at first... the it gradually show the top half(performer) but not the bottom. The temp was probably in the low to mid 50's, so do not know if temp related.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)