KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
UPDATE: After finding out new info, if you Ku side don't work try the other setting. If you have a standard try Universal and vice-verse, we have learned that several of these units have been mislabeled

A few days ago I got in a shipment of the new NS-741’s from WS International. The first thing I noticed right off is that they do not come with the built in switch like the DMX741s. They also still have the bright orange Ku LNB, just like the DMX741s. Also the box says Circular and Linear however they did not include the plastic insert to use them for circular. This did not bother me as I myself have no need for it, however one of my customers might. ;) Also included in the box was a jumper wire, which is not needed since there is no built in switch. I have since been informed that there was a mistake including the coax jumper and not including the circular piece….Which has now been corrected. :)

Another thing is these LNBFs have a small raised lip around the edge. I didn’t think much about it until I tried to install one on my dish. I had a problem with it in testing, which I will get to in a minute.

Ok so I decided I wanted to test out one of these, new C/Ku LNBF’s in case anyone had any questions for me. I wanted to be able to say I had hands on experience with it. First thing I did, was go out and make sure my dish was peaked for optimum using the LNBF that was on it, a GEOSATpro C2.

I decided to test it on 103W, AMC1. The dish I used is a 10 foot Uni-mesh. I got out my notebook and chose which active transponders I wanted to use. I started with the C2 and using my satellite meter and my microHD, I took note of reading on different transponders and wrote them down.

On to the NS741….I removed the C2 and got ready to install the NS741 and discovered it will not fit in my scaler ring??? My scaler ring is an original Chaparral that has the recessed hex screw to tighten up the Feed Horn. I was up on a ladder and at an awkward angle. So I thought I am not getting to it properly. So I got down and re-positioned my ladder. Nope will not fit! The lip I mentioned above was causing it to be too wide to fit into the scaler. Note: If you use the scaler that comes with the NS741 you will not have this problem. So I sat and thought about it a minute and thought, nope not changing out my scaler for this test….sooo….I went to the shop and fired up the bench grinder.

With Lip removed I installed the NS741 onto my dish. It took a few minutes of not getting a signal on my meter to realize something else. On the top of the Ku Orange LNB there is a little scale just like on the DMX741’s. Going like this 30.…0….30. The DMX741 needs to be at the 6 or 12 O’ Clock position to be installed properly….Which makes sense, putting the “0” at 12 or 6 O’ clock….The NS741 needs to be, I found out, put at 9 or 3 O’ Clock position.

After I figured that out and fine-tuned it in the scaler, I proceeded with my test. I was pleased with the results. I have included a PDF file with my results. The NS741 performed almost identical to the DMX741. The NS741 actual performed a little bit better than the DMX741. The C2 by GEOSATpro was a little better, but that was no surprise.

In doing this test on 103W C-Band, I tested 3 different LNBFs. The C2, the NS741 and the DMX741. As I said the C2 performed better, but really wanted to test the difference between the two 741’s. I did not test the Ku side of this LNBF yet…well I did briefly to see that it was working and it did, I got the “surfing” channel just fine. ;)……but my main testing with this test was how it did on C-Band. I was going to test the Ku side next to the Ku side on the DMX741 today, but it has been raining off and on.

Ok here is pictures of it and my attached PDF file. I will try to do some more tests soon.

DSC02881.JPGDSC02882.JPGDSC02883.JPGDSC02885.JPGDSC02886.JPG

View attachment LNBF Comparison NS741 103.pdf

Last edited:
Cool, so now we know what the best c/ku-band lnbf is. The lip mite be a problem, most people just do a quick swap...

I have quite a collection of scalers from several years old to new ones. That is the only one that causes a problem. So most people will be ok. :)

Thanks Dave!! :)

Glad you said that was going to do it the next day and it rained. Then it kinda slipped my mind until 2 days ago. So I knew today I would have time to do the ku side test. Well it is pouring cats and dogs and tornado spottings and warnings all over....so maybe tomorrow or next week. ;)

Lightning got another of my DMX741 LNBFs the other day as the Ku side would no longer switch to Horizontal. Cband works fine as does Ku V but H is a no go. Had another DMX that Cband was fried in so I took that Ku part and put it on the one that wasn't working and now all is well again,...... until the next lightning strike.

Ennywho, I ordered an NS741 to have as a spare and out of the box it is NOTHING like the old DMX741 LNBFs! The main housing is just like the old ESX241 Cband only LNBs only with a new 4 screw mount Ku antenna scabbed on the top. The fit in the provided scaler ring is sloppy as crap and the lip on the end makes it so it WILL NOT FIT INTO MY EXISTING CHAPARRAL SCALER RING! Only way to make that work is to file the lip off the end and then it will go in but it's still a sloppy fit! The one coax jumper that is supplied is made out of cheap copper plated steel too so that one will go in the trash.

It came with a 22hz switch but no way to connect it to the LNBs so I'll have to make up another jumper to make that connection as well.

I haven't tested it yet and probably won't until lightning takes out another one of my DMXs but at this point I can say that I'm not impressed. Lets hope it will work much better than the fit and finish I've seen thus far!

Will post the Ku test results here when I get a chance to play with it.

Lone Gunman said:
Lightning got another of my DMX741 LNBFs the other day as the Ku side would no longer switch to Horizontal. Cband works fine as does Ku V but H is a no go. Had another DMX that Cband was fried in so I took that Ku part and put it on the one that wasn't working and now all is well again,...... until the next lightning strike.

Ennywho, I ordered an NS741 to have as a spare and out of the box it is NOTHING like the old DMX741 LNBFs! The main housing is just like the old ESX241 Cband only LNBs only with a new 4 screw mount Ku antenna scabbed on the top. The fit in the provided scaler ring is sloppy as crap and the lip on the end makes it so it WILL NOT FIT INTO MY EXISTING CHAPARRAL SCALER RING! Only way to make that work is to file the lip off the end and then it will go in but it's still a sloppy fit! The one coax jumper that is supplied is made out of cheap copper plated steel too so that one will go in the trash.

It came with a 22hz switch but no way to connect it to the LNBs so I'll have to make up another jumper to make that connection as well.

I haven't tested it yet and probably won't until lightning takes out another one of my DMXs but at this point I can say that I'm not impressed. Lets hope it will work much better than the fit and finish I've seen thus far!

Will post the Ku test results here when I get a chance to play with it.

Don't hold your breath the KU side is worthless.

I got a DMX 741 from sadoum when i put up my 6 footer c/ku motorized system around 4 years ago and i have been getting great results from both s and ku.NOTE!! It did take me awhile to get that sweet spot to make both c and ku work well.I dont know if the NS741 is any better or worse than the DMX741 i have.

I installed this NS741 this afternoon so I could test it only to find that the Ku side DOES NOT WORK??

FYI I normally have a DMX741 on that dish and had taken readings on both C and Ku on different satellites so I could compare the performance of the two. I even bypassed the internal 22Hz switch in the DMX and used the external switch sent with the NS741 so there wouldn't be any variables.

Checked 72w on Ku and C then went to 121w Ku and C with my DMX741 still installed and recorded readings on specific transponders. Also ran down to 137w and checked on C band TP there as I can reach the LNBF to swap them out without using a ladder with the dish pointed at that satellite.

So then I put that NS741 in the scaler ring and set it with the "0" at 3 oclock then tweaked in the C band TP on 137w. That transponder came in at the exact same signal and quality strength as the DMX741 had given me so I ran up to 121w to check on the Ku TP I had recorded but got NOTHING?? Then ran to 72w and got nothing on the Ku TP there either?? I have a spare Ecoda 22Hz switch so I swapped out the switches and STILL DIDN'T HAVE ANY Ku SIGNAL ON ANY SATELLITES WITH THIS NS741 INSTALLED??

So I spent about an hour moving that NS741 around trying to get the Ku side to work and it never did!! Put my DMX741 back in the scaler ring and have BOTH C BAND AND Ku BAND JUST LIKE BEFORE??

So the only thing I can say is that the Ku side of this LNBF must be NO GOOD OUT OF THE BOX!!

So Wally, is this what you meant by "the Ku side is worthless?":(

And if this is how these things are, why didn't someone post that info here BEFORE I spent money on one??:mad:

And if this is how these things are, why didn't someone post that info here BEFORE I spent money on one??:mad:

'Cause we just figured this out over the last couple of days to be sure. I have a couple of these things and C-Band is fine but nothing out of Ku. I spent half of this afternoon trying to figure out why and come up with a solution. There is none, that I can see yet. If the Ku side actually does work, my guess is the spacing is way off. I didn't want to go through all of that now. One should not have to through all of that. I was exited to see these come out when it looks like the DMX is not coming back. However not excited any more and pretty pissed about 'em. Your not the only one that has got burnt on these things. :mad:

got a DMX741 tested it and put it back in the box might be worth $$$ now
as my dad said alot "would not hit a dog in the ___ with one"
all c-band lnbf's i've tested if you just want the 24/7 stuff it might be ok, .......other wise junk

Since this is a new shipment, I'd calmly report the failure back to WSI.
He will get the problem resolved. :up
I'm sure anyone who helps him, will get extra consideration if you figure it out first.

edit:
I'm not a big proponent of the dual band LNBFs, due to their performance and critical adjustment.
So, since the C2 from SatelliteAV is out of production, it would be handy to identify a reliable C-only LNBF to compare all future dual banders against.
(preferably one with two outputs)

Last edited:
I notified the Ebay seller I bought from last night and I just sent WSI's tech support guy an Email also with a link to this thread.

Just took a look down the throat of the NS and DMX and notice several things that are different.

The Ku antenna wires are not clocked the same on the NS as they are on the DMX. Not sure this is an issue but it is a difference. I would change it to match the DMX but I don't want to screw around with it and void the warranty.

Secondly, there IS NO SCALER RING UP INSIDE THE NS741 FOR THE KU PART, BUT THERE IS ONE IN THE DMX741??

Third, there appears to be almost 1/16 inch difference in the distance between the C and Ku antenna wires from the NS to the DMX with the DMX being a shorter distance.

Received return shipping notice from that Ebay vendor today and they "say" they will pay the return shipping. I also sent them a link to this thread so they can see what is going on. I'm going to hold off on returning this one until I hear something back from WSI though as they may have a "fix" that I can do instead of returning it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts