Review: WS International NS741 C/Ku LNBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.
by any chance did you buy from galaxy-marketing? My box says "the only LNBF that comes with a 2-Year warranty."

No, mine came from a different vendor. And this box has that same "2 year warranty" on it also. Dunno but I got a bad feeling about this. WSI may be in for a bad row of stumps with this one and we may be up the creek as well as I got no way to control a servo/skew on the Chaparral Corotor I took off this dish. Neither of my FTA receivers will do that! :confused: That's a shame too as I just found another 10 footer to replace this 7.5 ft SAMI! :rant:

UPDATE!

Got a PM from wallyhts last night requesting that I reinstall this NS741 and try another scan on a Ku satellite using the "universal" LO settings of 9750/10600. Just completed that test and IT WORKED!! Scanned in 17 TPs with that universal setting so both the box and the tag on the LNBF itself are LABELLED WRONG!!

Now I'll return this one and hopefully get what I originally ordered!
;)

Was going to test the same thing myself but just haven't gotten too it yet. Good to know that they are just mislabeled.

Lone Gunman said:
UPDATE!

Got a PM from wallyhts last night requesting that I reinstall this NS741 and try another scan on a Ku satellite using the "universal" LO settings of 9750/10600. Just completed that test and IT WORKED!! Scanned in 17 TPs with that universal setting so both the box and the tag on the LNBF itself are LABELLED WRONG!!

Now I'll return this one and hopefully get what I originally ordered! ;)

Thanks for trying that :)

Do you think they will just send out a replacement(correct) Ku LNBF? That would work for me, my C-band side works great. Lone Gunman if they will not swap these out, I would switch with you. I must have a 10750 Ku, because I tried and tried using 10600 & 22k on with zero results.

Last edited:
Anyone have a chance to do a test on the Ku side now that the issues been figured out? Thanks!

And especially on a 1.2m mini bud

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I didn't test mine yet because I still don't have the "Standard" one I wanted for my system. The Universal one works but I don't use those so I can't really give an accurate A/B test yet. Will do so when/if I get what I need.

I'm going to call WSI today and see if I can get them to either swap this one out or send me the "Standard" LO Ku part that I need.

Let me know if they take care if it for you Lone Gunman, because I'm sure mine is 10750 LO because all I tried mine on is 10600 with zero results.

Let me know if they take care if it for you Lone Gunman, because I'm sure mine is 10750 LO because all I tried mine on is 10600 with zero results.

You need to try it on 10750? You might have a bad Ku unit and unless you try it with the standard LO you really won't know.

Any updates?? Does anyone have (1) working on both C & Ku? If you do what is your F/D setting vs. a different C & Ku feedhorn that works on both? Thanks.

UPDATE.....again!

WSI has taken care of my NS741s LNBF problem as I received the stuff to fix mine today and now it does work with an LO setting of 10750! They also sent me an Email with the following info for those of you who may have received an NS741s or u that was mis-labled like mine was, ie, suppose to be "Standard" but was actually "Universal" or vise versa! Please make sure you test your LNBF with BOTH LO settings to make sure it's the wrong LO before you contact them.

Here is a paraphrased version of that message I got:

"Please just ask the people who have the same problem as you to send us an Email to this address <info2@wsidigital.com> and provide us with their full name, address, phone number, and who they purchased their NS741 from. Please include a brief explanation as to what they'd like WSI to do regarding their mis-labeled LNBF.

Once we receive their Email/phone call we'll go ahead and send them a RMA# along with detailed instructions and will get the issue worked out with them. They are also welcome to call our office here in Los Angeles at 818-485-8350."

From what I can gather this problem was kinda isolated and seems to have involved just two cases of LNBFs that were in their last shipment.

I was going to try to do an A/B test with mine today but it looks like the rain isn't going to let up any time soon so I'll wait for a sunny day to do that. I've got it on my dish right now though and it's looking pretty good so far.

Can you please let me know what you set your F/D of the NS741 at vs. the old WSI-741 feedhorn. My dish is .36 and I could get nothing on Ku from .34 to .38 focal distance. Thanks. Chad

Can you please let me know what you set your F/D of the NS741 at vs. the old WSI-741 feedhorn. My dish is .36 and I could get nothing on Ku from .34 to .38 focal distance. Thanks. Chad

Chad, I got no clue what the F/D is on that SAMI dish as I've never taken the time to measure it to find out. I can tell you though that the setting on the NS is very near the same as the DMX as I magic marked the housing on my NS the same distance up as the DMX and it wasn't that far off. You might be off on the rotation though as the "0" point on the new NS is different from the DMX versions as was noted in the first post in this thread. That "0" is suppose to point East on these NS741s instead of North like the DMX.

Although I haven't fully tested it yet, from what I've seen so far this NS is at least as good as the DMX. Only thing I don't like about the NS is the housing is much smaller (and thinner) than the DMX was and you have to be careful when you tighten up the set screw to hold it in place as it's very easy to bend it. My plan is to put something around it where it fits in the scaler ring to take up some of the "slop" in the fit. Yeah I know, it's the machinist in me coming out again! ;)

I'm with you 100% on the build quality and thinness of the NS. What could a guy put around it that the lock down screw wouldn't go through. I can only come up with wrapping it with black tape or something like that. That won't work when it get's screwed down in place. Thanks for your help. Chad

I'm with you 100% on the build quality and thinness of the NS. What could a guy put around it that the lock down screw wouldn't go through. I can only come up with wrapping it with black tape or something like that. That won't work when it get's screwed down in place. Thanks for your help. Chad

Might try a flat strip, an inch or 2 wide, of 26-28 ga. steel? Make it long enough to wrap around enough times to get the desired thickness.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)