Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes, it should lock S2 4:2:2 channels, since 4:2:2 isn't a modulation issue.

But, it doesn't tell you ANYTHING other than frequency and symbol rate. It won't even tell you if it's S2 or not.

If it could, then what info would have to be "guessed" at to enter into an Azbox for display.....FEC, QSPK/8PSK and pilot on/off?
Enter what you know in the AZBox: Freq, SR, and Polarity
Then set DVB-S2 8PSK, Pilot On
Now slowly cycle through all the FEC options
If nothing, Change to Pilot Off, and repeat FEC cycle
If nothing again, select DVB-S2 QPSK, and repeat Pilot On / Off and FEC Cycles

Odd ! I just changed a Sat name on mine and it transferred just fine. I've gone to renaming my birds , first with their orbital position, then Ku or C , and then name. ex. "91W Ku Galaxy 17" .
It sounds like the transfer was not successful, if your new names aren't getting into the satlist.
:(

I guess I didn't do it right the first time. Everything is working now. I have a new satellite list starting from Hispansat all the way to Amc 21. This program is really cool. Thanks Brent!

Thanks Jim and Lak, that's what I needed to know. I hadn't considered that it would not let me know whether or not the signal was S2 or not, good point, but not a problem.

Think one of these is in my future, is Sadoun stocking these now?

OPENBOX S9 HD

Hi Guys, This thread has valuable info and I've read nearly every post but I have some questions if any of you can please answer.

1. How is this box working with the RTV S2 feeds on AMC-3 (87w) C-band?

2. Are there any HDD and/or enclosure compatibility issues?

3. What's the maximum HDD size supported?

4. Is the PVR "One-touch-recording" (instant record when button is pressed)?

5. Can the recorded files be downloaded to a PC for editing with other software?

6. Are HD feeds still choppy as reported?

7. Does this box support Diseqc 1.1 as the specs claim?

8. Are there any over-heating issues?

All info is appreciated and I thank you all who have contributed to this thread. I'm considering this box for a friend who wants a FTA system installed using a 90 cm dish and a HH motor. I'm considering one for myself as well.

Hi Guys, This thread has valuable info and I've read nearly every post but I have some questions if any of you can please answer.QUOTE]

Wow, you ask alot of questions! I'll answer what I know.

2. Are there any HDD and/or enclosure compatibility issues? The HDD that you supply is connected externally to the usb port, does not go inside.

5. Can the recorded files be downloaded to a PC for editing with other software? Yes

6. Are HD feeds still choppy as reported? No

7. Does this box support Diseqc 1.1 as the specs claim? Yes, I'm using a 8 X 1 switch just fine.

8. Are there any over-heating issues? No, runs cool even in my stereo cabinet with door shut.

Yes, it should lock S2 4:2:2 channels, since 4:2:2 isn't a modulation issue.

But, it doesn't tell you ANYTHING other than frequency and symbol rate. It won't even tell you if it's S2 or not.

If you press the "info" button twice it will bring up addl. data including pids.

OK, I forgot to mention the PIDs, but it still won't give you FEC, pilot, or whether it's even S2.

Either I'm having an attack of stupidity or the firmware is doing something different. Here's my problem: I've always used USALS. I've never even set up DisEqC 1.2 except to manually specify a position when I'm a little off the arc. That's where my problem is arising now: I can't remember how to do it -- or it's doing it differently. Before, I could just switch the motor mode from USALS to DisEqC 1.2, go to the motor setup screen, use the left and right arrows to tweak the position, select "save", and it was saved. Now, when I change it to DisEqC 1.2, the motor moves to some other satellite, so I can't just start from the USALS-defined position like I used to. Is it the receiver, or am I forgetting something?

Jim S.

I'm using the OpenBox with 1.2 no prob. My best guess for you is find your sat with usals, tweak the east/west, change to 1.2 mode, THEN save the position.

As for the channel info, yea it is a lacking in this receiver. Contact your dealer as I have and ask them to add this capability to the next software update.

from another Jim S.

Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping I can get answers to all these questions. Over the time that you've used this receiver, what's your overall opinion?

[COLOR=blue said:
TantalusFld[/COLOR];2363248]
Hi Guys, This thread has valuable info and I've read nearly every post but I have some questions if any of you can please answer.QUOTE]

Wow, you ask alot of questions! I'll answer what I know. Yea but they're easy ones! lol

2. Are there any HDD and/or enclosure compatibility issues? The HDD that you supply is connected externally to the usb port, does not go inside. Yes you're correct but I'm referring to the external HDD enclosures. Some receivers are finicky about what type of external enclosure is used, mostly concerning the HDD capacity rating and interface circuitry of the enclosure. I'd hate to invest in a 1-TB HDD + compatible enclosure and discover that it doesn't work with the receiver. It would be nice for somebody to post some of the equipment they're using.

5. Can the recorded files be downloaded to a PC for editing with other software? Yes
Can you tell me what file extension it uses (file type) such as "_.ts" or what?

7. Does this box support Diseqc 1.1 as the specs claim? Yes, I'm using a 8 X 1 switch just fine. Are you using the 8x1 with other switches or alone? I'm wondering about compatibility issues with multiple switches. Most receivers work perfectly with a single dish and 1 satellite but when you load 'em up with the tasks of a Dish Farm, they go bananas, my Pansat 9200HD is proof of that.

8. Are there any over-heating issues? No, runs cool even in my stereo cabinet with door shut. That's Cooool!!!
Thanks again TantalusFld :up

Last edited:
Ok, I swung the dish over to 87w and easily scanned in the RTV lineup. I haven't played with the pvr feature yet, but I've read of people using 500gb drives sucessfully.

1. How is this box working with the RTV S2 feeds on AMC-3 (87w) C-band? Gets them all just fine.

2. Are there any HDD and/or enclosure compatibility issues? The HDD that you supply is connected externally to the usb port, does not go inside. Yes you're correct but I'm referring to the external HDD enclosures. Some receivers are finicky about what type of external enclosure is used, mostly concerning the HDD capacity rating and interface circuitry of the enclosure. I'd hate to invest in a 1-TB HDD + compatible enclosure and discover that it doesn't work with the receiver. It would be nice for somebody to post some of the equipment they're using.

Can you tell me what file extension it uses (file type) such as "_.ts" or what?

7. Does this box support Diseqc 1.1 as the specs claim? Yes, I'm using a 8 X 1 switch just fine. Are you using the 8x1 with other switches or alone? I'm wondering about compatibility issues with multiple switches. Most receivers work perfectly with a single dish and 1 satellite but when you load 'em up with the tasks of a Dish Farm, they go bananas, my Pansat 9200HD is proof of that. I am going to a two port 1.0 switch that fans out to two 1.1 8X1 switches. Have five dishes on one switch and six dishes on the other for a total of 11 lnb's in service so far.

8. Are there any over-heating issues? No, runs cool even in my stereo cabinet with door shut. That's Cooool!!!

Last edited:
McGuyver said:
Hi Guys, This thread has valuable info and I've read nearly every post but I have some questions if any of you can please answer.

The RTV S2 feeds all come in very nicely.

2. Are there any HDD and/or enclosure compatibility issues?

5. Can the recorded files be downloaded to a PC for editing with other software?

6. Are HD feeds still choppy as reported?

Yes it does support true Diseqc 1.1. I have it hooked up to my 30 + LNBFs/LNBs, and it works fine using Digiwave 8 port un-committed switches, 1X4 committed diseqc switches and 4X4 multi-switches and everything works fine. :cool:

8. Are there any over-heating issues?

All info is appreciated and I thank you all who have contributed to this thread. I'm considering this box for a friend who wants a FTA system installed using a 90 cm dish and a HH motor. I'm considering one for myself as well.

Mine is not hot to the touch, and is running 24/7.

Edit: I should add that my box is an Openbox S9 and not the SatHawk, but I think they are really the same box. :D

I hope to write up some more on this box a little later.

McGuyver,

Concerning USB HD enclosures, I have a cheap no-name one that works fine. The only caveat I can offer is that, like other devices, you may or may not get enough power out of the receiver to spin up your drive, depending on how power-hungry both your drive and the interface circuit are. If in doubt, get an enclosure with an external power supply option. (Don't plug in the power supply if you don't need it though -- I had one enclosure that would feed power back into the receiver, enough to power everything except the LNB! I don't know whether it was a wiring issue with the enclosure or the receiver, except that others have told me they don't have that problem with their receiver.)

The receiver saves files with a .dvr extension. It's not the same as Microsoft's .dvr format, it's just a .ts file with some additional headers or something of the sort. There's a utility to strip the extra data and produce a .ts file -- unfortunately NOT under the OpenBox or SatHawk or Solomend name, but it works. I think I've uploaded it here at least once, look for A200_Ariva_TS_Tool.

Yes, there's a one-touch record option. By default it records up to 2 hours, I think you can modify that with a few more key presses.

Thanks Guyz!!!

There are a few that are choppy.

Keep in mind that Recording is choppy on almost any HD feed.

Lak7, I was suspecting that this was still an issue as I didn't read of any solution yet provided. Does anybody know what the specs are on the Flash-rom and SDRAM? I don't find anything in the mfr specs.

The RTV S2 feeds all come in very nicely. This is good to know. Can you please tell me what size BUD you have? I have a 10.5' mesh that works great with my Pansat 9200HD S2 stb and these feeds.

Yes it does support true Diseqc 1.1. I have it hooked up to my 30 + LNBFs/LNBs, and it works fine using Digiwave 8 port un-committed switches, 1X4 committed diseqc switches and 4X4 multi-switches and everything works fine. :cool: I'm pleased to hear this!!! This is a big +++ in a receiver, which many others lack. :D

Mine is not hot to the touch, and is running 24/7. T'is good to hear! :cool:

Edit: I should add that my box is an Openbox S9 and not the SatHawk, but I think they are really the same box. :D Yes, it appears that it is. Sadoun's webpage displays the receiver with the OPENBOX name on the front panel so I bet that the f/w is the only thing thus far that has an embedded trademark and/or signiture unless the photo is incorrect.

I hope to write up some more on this box a little later. I'm looking forward to it ;)

McGuyver,

Concerning USB HD enclosures, I have a cheap no-name one that works fine. The only caveat I can offer is that, like other devices, you may or may not get enough power out of the receiver to spin up your drive, depending on how power-hungry both your drive and the interface circuit are. If in doubt, get an enclosure with an external power supply option. (Don't plug in the power supply if you don't need it though -- I had one enclosure that would feed power back into the receiver, enough to power everything except the LNB! I don't know whether it was a wiring issue with the enclosure or the receiver, except that others have told me they don't have that problem with their receiver.) I agree... I have a Vantec NexStar.3 eSata/USB enclosure & Seagate 500 GB HDD that I'm using with my Pansat so I suppose that I can try it with the OPENBOX. The Vantec has it's own P/S adapter and works very well even with my PC USB interface.

The receiver saves files with a .dvr extension. It's not the same as Microsoft's .dvr format, it's just a .ts file with some additional headers or something of the sort. There's a utility to strip the extra data and produce a .ts file -- unfortunately NOT under the OpenBox or SatHawk or Solomend name, but it works. I think I've uploaded it here at least once, look for A200_Ariva_TS_Tool. Thanks for this info, in the past I've changed the file extension to .ts on another file type and it worked, I think it was a .tsp file. The editing S/W then was able to recognize the file and edit them just as if they were originally .ts files but I've never tried it on a .dvr file, it might work as well. I've been using ConvertX to DVD3 with Pansat and Viewsat recordings with great results.

Yes, there's a one-touch record option. By default it records up to 2 hours, I think you can modify that with a few more key presses. Another nice feature!!!

Thus far, this receiver has more going for it than many other high priced units and with a little more tweaking, it could be a benefit for the True FTA market.

I thank you all very much for any and all details of your experience with this stb. I was so impressed with the progress made and all that you people have written so I bought one yesterday. Once it arrives I'll be testing and I'll be sure to share anything of value that I can. :cool:

The RTV S2 feeds all come in very nicely.
This is good to know. Can you please tell me what size BUD you have? I have a 10.5' mesh that works great with my Pansat 9200HD S2 stb and these feeds.

I am using a 10 foot Winegard Pinnacle and a GeoSatpro C2 LNBF on that particular satellite, and the RTV channels work very well.

Yes it does support true Diseqc 1.1. I have it hooked up to my 30 + LNBFs/LNBs, and it works fine using Digiwave 8 port un-committed switches, 1X4 committed diseqc switches and 4X4 multi-switches and everything works fine.
I'm pleased to hear this!!! This is a big +++ in a receiver, which many others lack.

It's a shame that all receivers don't have true diseqc 1.1, but hopefully it will become a trend for all new receivers to follow. :)

SatHawk boot fail

Turned on the SatHawk a couple of days ago and noticed it wasn't acting like normal. Cycled the rear power switch to no avail.
When I turn the power on, the front panel displays "on" for a few seconds, the word "boot" flashes once then displays "--" (two dashes) and that's it. No HDMI signal to the TV.:confused:
Opened the box up & check power supply voltages - all appeared in range.
Reseated all the cable connections yet no joy.
Suggestions aside from returning it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts