reviving old thread about hd channels south of the border

Status
Please reply by conversation.

prop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
mexico
this has been discussed back in 2013 http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/first-time-set-up.309927/.i am in southern mexico and trying to duplicate what wolfgang has done in belize.i got the specially tuned lnb`s and mounting kit etc from the cp electronics here in mexico.i have a huge 2.7 metre dish and get great reception on 101.i have now been able to pull in about a dozen or so hd channels on 99 and 103 i see that wolf is on 99 and 103 s beam .i am only able to pull in cb beam on both.i understand he is using a alaska ,hawaii lnb so i guess that is the difference.i am currently getting only 6 transponders on 99 and 10 on 103 most with readings in the 50`s - 60.i do get the guide info.does anyone know how ik i should be getting spot or ca transponders?i think i can keep tweeking it to get better readings but just need to know if i`m in the ballpark.i hope wolfgang from belize is still here and reads this .thanks for any help

Keep in mind while it is a grey area Directv isn't authorized to sell into mexico and doesn't support it. Also, you won't get spots as your not in a spot beam. I suggest trying Sky Mexico. http://www.sky.com.mx/ You will have better luck with that as it is supported in your area.

Keep in mind while it is a grey area Directv isn't authorized to sell into mexico and doesn't support it. Also, you won't get spots as your not in a spot beam. I suggest trying Sky Mexico. http://www.sky.com.mx/ You will have better luck with that as it is supported in your area.
Yeah, why bother trying to pull in DIRECTV that far south of the border which will be extremely difficult if not impossible to receive the Ka band beams when you have the new SKY Mexico primarily HD service from 76 and 79W?

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

Reactions: goaliebob99
Yeah, why bother trying to pull in DIRECTV that far south of the border which will be extremely difficult if not impossible to receive the Ka band beams when you have the new SKY Mexico primarily HD service from 76 and 79W?

yeah i know i can get sky but i already have and have had dtv running well down here for years.i have the time and enjoy playing with this stuff more or less a hobby and learning experience.if you go back and read what this guy has done in belize you can see that it is possible to get hd down here.like i said i have been able to pull in a few channels myself.i have been tinkering with satellite dishes since the c-band days.i`m just trying to learn some more about the diiferent spot,ca and cb signals .thanks for any help

Reactions: ejb1980
yeah i know i can get sky but i already have and have had dtv running well down here for years.i have the time and enjoy playing with this stuff more or less a hobby and learning experience.if you go back and read what this guy has done in belize you can see that it is possible to get hd down here.like i said i have been able to pull in a few channels myself.i have been tinkering with satellite dishes since the c-band days.i`m just trying to learn some more about the diiferent spot,ca and cb signals .thanks for any help
Ok, if it's really more of a hobby interest then I suggest you see here for study of practically everything you need ...

http://www.dbstalk.com/forum/56-directv-tips-and-resources/

Though as I said, the Ka band signals are going to be especially problematic at your location for even C-band size dishes as the beam contours are sharper and the edges attenuate away faster than for the Ku band.

Hey BTW, also since you are down there and have more than just a customer interest in this stuff, can find out whatever you can about the new SKY Mexico LNB and how it operates if you can find out anything and post back here?
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/index.php?threads/355820/

The way it's hooked up in those photos to both the 13v/18v + 22KHz ports of a DIRECTV SWiM-8 module really make no sense for a supposedly "Dual Stacked LNB" and the way those type of LNBs traditionally operate.

Really appreciate it ...

Believe it or not, even contacted WNC myself recently, and even they weren't sure about how one of their own products works, lol.

Reactions: ejb1980
i am receiving some transponders on 99 ca and 103 ca but nothing on cb on either.i figure s(spot beam) will not be availible down here.would it be possible to get anything on cb transponders?i`m just trying to figure out the difference in the 2 bands.i`ll try to get some info for you on the sky lnb

i am receiving some transponders on 99 ca and 103 ca but nothing on cb on either.i figure s(spot beam) will not be availible down here.would it be possible to get anything on cb transponders?i`m just trying to figure out the difference in the 2 bands.i`ll try to get some info for you on the sky lnb
Well, the only difference I know of is that 99(ca) and 103(ca) are coming from 2 of the newer satellites with Ka band CONUS beam payloads. D14 and D12 respectively.

Whereas, 99(cb) and 103(cb) are coming from the older D11 and the trouble-plagued D10.

So perhaps that could have something to do with why you can't receive anything from the cb or B-band CONUS portion of the Ka band.

D14 and 12 have better power levels?

Note: The newest satellite to join the fleet, D15 at 103W, which carries CONUS beam xpndrs for both 103(ca) and (cb) is not carrying any active programming yet from what can be determined.

you mean there are 2 sats at each of those orbital slots?anyway i`ll keep trying to find some info on the sky lnb but no luck yet

you mean there are 2 sats at each of those orbital slots?anyway i`ll keep trying to find some info on the sky lnb but no luck yet
For 99W there are actually 3 DIRECTV satellites clustered within +/- .2° of 99W. Spaceway 2 (currently unused), DIRECTV 11, and DIRECTV 14.

101W has 3. DIRECTV 4S, 9S, and 8 within .2°.

For 103W there are 4. Spaceway 2, DIRECTV 10, 12, and 15 within .2°.

When we speak of 99, 101, and 103W, those are really their "nominal" positions for clusters of tightly grouped satellites by DIRECTV and even other services at 101W.

The customer receive dishes are of course far too small for the resolving power needed to see the small differences in spacing at the geostationary distance of given nominal slot, and thus sees them all as one big "fat" satellite there so to speak.

However, the monster size dishes at DIRECTV's varions broadcast centers and regional uplink stations around the US, typically 9-13 meters in diameter, can easily see the distinctions and transmit/receive to any individual satellite in the cluster.

thanks for clearing that up for me.i may hook up another 1.8 or 2.4 meter dish to try to fine tune either 103 or 99.as far as the sky lnb goes i haven`t had any luck with that.no one seems to know anything about it and i have not seen any oh the lnbs on any dishes around town.

thanks for clearing that up for me.i may hook up another 1.8 or 2.4 meter dish to try to fine tune either 103 or 99.as far as the sky lnb goes i haven`t had any luck with that.no one seems to know anything about it and i have not seen any oh the lnbs on any dishes around town.
Ok thanks ....

Remember that when trying larger dishes, while they can be parabolic in the vertical plane, they need be spherical in the horizontal since you have to receive DIRECTV from multiple positions simultaneously as authorizations, guide info., firmware updates, ect. come from the 101W satellites.

And you aren't seeing any of the new "skyHD" Mexico dishes in your area yet like in the photo?

haven`t seen one yet
Hummm ... well I guess it is still a new (predominately) HD service from 76 and 79W ...

And even though the old SKY Mex. service at 58W is all SD now and due to be phased out I understand. Most subs. are nevertheless still using that one with the traditional round dish and single LNB.

does anyone know where i can find a chart that will tell me which hd chanles are carried on which transponders on the 103 and 99 (ca,cb and s)

hey hotat maybe you can answer another question for me.the setup i`m using now is similar to what wolfgang did in brazil.i am using 2 dual power pass diplexers to power 101 and 99.i noticed i had to place the diplexers as close as possible to the 6x8 switch to make it work.is it possible or useful to add more power to the 99 sat to get more transponders?thanks for your help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts