Rewiring and Recommendations on Wiring

Status
Please reply by conversation.

j_met

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
East TX
I've had DirectTV for about a year at this house. I've recently had some issues with my receiver freezing up and stuttering with the audio. I actually think the hard drive is going out in it. I am going to do a hard reset and hard disk scan.

Since I started to have these issues, I've done a closer inspection of the install and the existing coax that was already ran when I moved in. I think its the old RG5 coax so I've decided to re-run all the lines (2 cable runs) with RG6 quad shield from monoprice and want to get the best recommendation on how to hook it all up.

Currently I have the main line coming in from the dish running to a splitter (1 in and 4 out). With 1 of the outs going straight to the HR34 and the other running to my back bedroom to the mini client (700 series I think). I have a RJ45 cable running from my modem to my router. Then another RJ45 cable running from the router to the back of the HR34. I distinctly remember the installer having a difficult time trying to get the wireless cinema connection kit to find and connect to my network so he just ran the RJ45 straight to the back of the receiver. I've read in different places that is not recommended and not supported by direct TV.

Attached is a simple drawing of how it is all connected . When I run new lines, I am also going run cat6 cable for me RJ45 wall plates as well as HDMI cables to each bedroom.

Just wanted to get some opinions on how to wire it all or other suggestions.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-09-19 at 11.04.14 PM.png
    Screenshot 2014-09-19 at 11.04.14 PM.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 161
...and you do not need quad shield. Waste of money, more difficult to handle and gives you nothing.
And a direct connect for your internet works fine. Often more reliable than wireless.

Reactions: oldford and Broe67
Chip - See updated drawing

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-09-20 at 9.45.25 AM.png
    Screenshot 2014-09-20 at 9.45.25 AM.png
    26.9 KB · Views: 167
Not doubting your answer Broe but, if I hooked it up that way, how would it be different? Why is it working now? It is working now and it is not possible for me to put the power inserter between the dish and the splitter as I do not have an electrical outlet in that space. to give it power. The line coming from the dish to the splitter is in the attic.

Edit 1: The reason for the 4 way splitter is I have two additional rooms I will eventually have cable ran to.

I eventually want to replace the coax splitter with an HDMI splitter and run one HDMI out of the receiver to a 1 X 4 HDMI splitter and run to each room. It is only my wife and I living here so it is ok if all the TVs are displaying the same show.

j_met, your Power Inserter is in the wrong place. It goes between the Splitter and the SWM at the dish. If you only have one Client and the HR34. You could get away with a 1x2 Splitter. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=SPLIT2MRV&d=DIRECTV-SWS2-Satellite-2Way-Wide-Band-MRV-Compatible-Splitter-(2-2150-MHz)&c=Satellite Splitters&sku=874409002404

There is nothing wrong with the power inserter where it is, as long as it's on the power passing port of the splitter.

Reactions: dishcomm
Ideally directv wants a solid copper center conductor 3ghz rg6 cable run everywhere. While there are no problems with your setup per say.. what I would do is move the pi to the basement or such and plug it in to a dedicated Gfi outlet with a dedicated coax running to the power passing port of the 4way. Terminate the signal to ird port. Run a dedicated coax to where your router is and get a broadband deca (not cinema connection kit) and connect it that way. Then run dedicated coax to each of the irds. Utilizing all 4 ports of the 4way. If you have two rooms planned for the future get an 8way and use 6 total lines. If your rebuilding the install might as well do it as efficiently as possible.

Reactions: Broe67
j_met, your Power Inserter is in the wrong place. It goes between the Splitter and the SWM at the dish. If you only have one Client and the HR34. You could get away with a 1x2 Splitter. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=02&p=SPLIT2MRV&d=DIRECTV-SWS2-Satellite-2Way-Wide-Band-MRV-Compatible-Splitter-(2-2150-MHz)&c=Satellite Splitters&sku=874409002404
The configuration is correct. The SWM Splitter is installed and it rated for outdoor use. Power inserters are NOT for outdoor use.
These are usually found at the primary receiver or if applicable, in a structured wiring panel. The power inserter also must be within 6 ft of an electrical outlet.

You are correct. The most common configuration is to bring one cable from the dish into the house, connect it to the splitter and then connect the PI to the power passing port of the splitter, either at the splitter or at the primary receiver. With only one receiver or DVR, you do not need the splitter at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)