RF Remote Issue

Steeletoast

Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
I'm having difficulty with the RF remote controlling my 722 on TV2. TV2 is in an adjacent room to the 722 so really just a wall and about 20 or so feet. I have to make numerous attempts for it to work or respond to any input. In some cases, LOS doesn't even respond. Dish sent me a replacement remote but the issue persists. I'm thinking it might be the antenna on the back of the 722 which is in an enclosure. I don't recall what type of connection the antenna uses but was thinking that making some sort of an extension to get the antenna out of the enclosure would help. TV1 is controlled by a Harmony 880 and its operation is completely trouble free.

*Edit*
Ok, did a little experiment. If TV1 is off, the remote and TV2 work just fine. Instantaneous response, works as expected. If I then turn on TV1, then TV2 ceases to respond. As before, LOS is hit or miss. To get the remote to work properly again with TV2, I need to shut both TVs off, then turn on TV2. If TV1 is switched on first, TV2 will not work.

If anyone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
Extending the antenna out of the enclosure and away from the TV would be my first move.

Thanks for the reply. After conducing my experiment I'm not entirely sure the enclosure is the issue. It definately has something to do with TV1 being on simultaneously. What the correlation is I don't know. As for extending the antenna; what type of connection is it? Just standard coax?

Yep, all you need is a short length of coax (but long enough to reach outside of the enclosure) and a barrel connector (splice).

Trun on TV1 on the satellite, but leave the actual TV off and report your results here.

First thought is along the same lines as I think Vegas is thinking. Some poorly manufactured TVs create a whole bunch of RF noise, so the UHF Remote signal gets interrupted by the "Noise" from TV1 when it is turned on. If this is the case in your situation, there is one easy step that can usually fix it without requiring a pigtail.

Turn on TV1 (the Television and the receiver) open the door on the right hand side of the receiver and press the "SYSTEM INFO" button. The screen should look something like this:

sysinfo-reg.jpg

At the bottom where it says "Secondary Remote Address" There should be a number between 1 and 32; the little TV2 image; and yours probably says "UHF Pro Band A".

Open the battery cover on your TV2 Remote and look for a little switch to the left of the battery compartment. Take a pen and move the switch to the "B" position. Press the record button on the TV2 remote until it changes on the screen to "UHF Pro Band B" (As pictured above, but with the same number that was displayed earlier on your receiver). Replace your battery cover. and exit the system info screen on TV1.

Band B uses a different UHF frequency, and it is rare for a TV to cause interference on both bands (usually just one or the other).

Go back to your TV2 and see if the remote responds correctly. If this doesn't work, you may need to pigtail the antenna. Post again and either I or someone else will walk you through the process.

I just got dish and having similar problem with TV2 on 722 unit. Worked fine when installer was here TV1 on or off. Got a TV stand and put equipment under TV (Samsung Plasma) - TV mounted to stand on post about 18-24 in above receiver. Can't get TV2 UHF remote to work when TV1 is off (even within inches of the remote antenna) only when it's on. Replaced Dish remote antenna with another coax connected UHF antenna with 2 wires out (adjustable angle) and now seem to get excellent UHF remote response. Had the UHF antenna laying around, but suspect one can be picked up anywhere. Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)