RFD TV (Not a Rumor)

Here is another side to this. Dish could have dropped it altogether. It no longer counts as a public interest channel. And for those of us who pay extra for extra channels, I do think sometimes new ones should only be in the upper packages. I think RFD is a pretty good channel. If the goal is to make money, this is exactly the type of channel that should be either in a family pack to attract more customers for those that just cannot afford anything more, or an upper package to get you to get at least the top200 package. From a business standpoint it makes sense and I am glad Dish is keeping the channel.

And why do people have to tell us they are leaving Dish everytime something changes. Just do it.

I actually thing this is a GOOD thing for RFD TV!

Before when it was a Public Interest Channel, I understand that RFD TV paid Dish to be carried, in fact RFD was often looking for money to continue its operation.

Now in fact Dish will be PAYING RFD TV for its excellent channel, it could lead to more and better programming on RFD TV.

F There used to be even MORE interesting and varied content (Mannheim Steamroller and the Big Joe Polka Show, anyone?)

Big Joe Polka Show rocks :)

RFD TV will remain free until 4/3 and then it will be only available in the Dish Family Package or the AT200 or above package.
woo hoo! so the family pack has some value still :)

iafirebuff said:
Long live the Big Joe Polka Show!

amen :up

(sorry...grew up with the polka music always on Sunday on the local radio station. They still play it and I stilll listen :))

I do not understand why they would move it to the Family Package as well since it is cheaper than AT100. Makes about as much sense as Hallmark Movie Channel only being in the cheapest package - Family Package. The only reason why Dish would do this is if the channel may not be watched that much and saving money by not having it in AT100 but then again its in Family Package. Could we see more channels in AT100 take a similar route in the future which would help keep that package price down?

I've noticed several channels in the Family Package that are, otherwise, "upper tier" channels with Dish...Boomerang, GAC, Fox News Channel, and Biography.

Am guessing this is because some more expensive channels such as ESPN are carried in the AT 100 package, which aren't part of the Family Package, which leaves less room in the AT 100 budget for some of the other channels.

As a person who has family who live on farms and parents who grew up on the farm it RFD tv is a neat channel to watch, Espically during the FFA Conventions.

The Family Package seems like Dish's clever way of getting out of carrying the expensive channels such as ESPN which makes the other basic packages so expensive. If only there was a way to get some other popular channels in the package while leaving ESPN out but then it wouldn't be much of a family package after all if that was the case.

The Family Package seems like Dish's clever way of getting out of carrying the expensive channels such as ESPN which makes the other basic packages so expensive. If only there was a way to get some other popular channels in the package while leaving ESPN out but then it wouldn't be much of a family package after all if that was the case.

That's my impossible dream as well...an inexpensive package that would leave out channels such as ESPN, yet combine the best of Dish Family and AT100, for those of us who aren't sports enthusiasts.

Can you get the HD package with the Family Package?

And yes, I'd rather the sports were a separate package. I'd surely not get it.

That's my impossible dream as well...an inexpensive package that would leave out channels such as ESPN, yet combine the best of Dish Family and AT100, for those of us who aren't sports enthusiasts.
Bingo!

We'd love to see all of the sports channels (e.g. ESPN, etc ) split off from the AT100 etc. packages and the prices reduced. IMHO the sports channels should be treated more like the 'premium' movie channels and should be OPTIONAL. We'd swap EPSN for one of the better entertainment channels in the higher level AT packages in a New York second.

BTW we have only watched about a hour of sports in the last DECADE :eek: And that was only because Texas was in the Rose Bowl :) Yes, we didn't even watch the whole game.

Talon Dancer

Well Charlie has got to get his money some how. taking a public interest channel away from the public and making people pay for it is one way. perhaps he will get more subscribers to the AT 200 because of this.

Perhaps we can get baseball on public access :)

Why do you post that? It isn't a public interest channel, Charlie could have just dropped it or to use your words taken it away from the public, but he didn't. Many of us will continue to get it for no extra cost, some can get it if they want to by going to an upper tier. This is a business, I would hope if I am paying for an upper tier that I would get channels that lower tiers don't. And if I want Dish to continue operations, I also hope one goal is to find ways to entice customers to go to a higher tier. By the way, there is another choice Charlie is giving you - go to the lowest tier and get it. There are things we can complain that Charlie/Dish does, this is not even on the radar.

I want to know since RFD TV is no longer a PI channel (and in fact, this has been the case for a while now) what PI channel will Dish add in its place?

And it would be nice if H+HS TV - 9402 would get some new content besides their current "Flu Panic" loop of programs.

Bingo!

We'd love to see all of the sports channels (e.g. ESPN, etc ) split off from the AT100 etc. packages and the prices reduced. IMHO the sports channels should be treated more like the 'premium' movie channels and should be OPTIONAL. We'd swap EPSN for one of the better entertainment channels in the higher level AT packages in a New York second.

BTW we have only watched about a hour of sports in the last DECADE :eek: And that was only because Texas was in the Rose Bowl :) Yes, we didn't even watch the whole game.

Talon Dancer

Same here--and it's comforting to know that I'm not alone! There are a few channels in Dish Family that I'd like to have, but I can't drop down to it as I'm locked into an 18 month commitment at AT100 or higher. And, unfortunately, I don't comfortable spending what would have to be spent each month to get some of those channels in a more expensive package.

I'd love to see Charlie Ergen play hard ball with channels such as ESPN and fight for a separate sports tier. It may never happen, but if anyone has the guts to do it, it would be him.

Why do you post that? It isn't a public interest channel, Charlie could have just dropped it or to use your words taken it away from the public, but he didn't. Many of us will continue to get it for no extra cost, some can get it if they want to by going to an upper tier. This is a business, I would hope if I am paying for an upper tier that I would get channels that lower tiers don't. And if I want Dish to continue operations, I also hope one goal is to find ways to entice customers to go to a higher tier. By the way, there is another choice Charlie is giving you - go to the lowest tier and get it. There are things we can complain that Charlie/Dish does, this is not even on the radar.

I think the problem that some people have is that this channel will continue to be offered in Dish Network's $19.99 a month Family Package.

Same here--and it's comforting to know that I'm not alone! There are a few channels in Dish Family that I'd like to have, but I can't drop down to it as I'm locked into an 18 month commitment at AT100 or higher. And, unfortunately, I don't comfortable spending what would have to be spent each month to get some of those channels in a more expensive package.

I'd love to see Charlie Ergen play hard ball with channels such as ESPN and fight for a separate sports tier. It may never happen, but if anyone has the guts to do it, it would be him.

All this continued blather about "Charlie the Content Provider Fighter" is just that. He doesn't fight for you and me but rather for his own wallet. When was the last time your monthly subscription rate went down because if his tactics ? Oh sure, we lose a channel for weeks on end as he fights for a deal but at the end of the day, our rates still go up every year and we've had to endure program disruption and disruption.
I've been with E* for many years now and way back when E* was considerably cheaper than my cable co. Way back then E* didn't play the fee game either. You bought the equipment and that was that. Now you've got lease fees, programming access fees, multiple receiver fees, and on and on. Just like cable. Currently TWC is cheaper overall(with Internet, phone and cable) than E* and gives me way more channels than what I had with AT60. For me the financial benefit has totally been reversed. E* has been very successful in pricing
themselves right out of being competitive.

To answer you navychop, no you can not get the current HD package with the family pack.:mad: I now have the family pack - a couple of years ago, I subscribed to the HD pack and then the 10 voom chanels so I receive most of them. BUT, I've tried - without luck to upgrade to the current HD package with the additional HD chanels that are offered-yes I have a 211- DISH will not let me. I'm stuck with the original tear that people can get with the older 811's.:river

Well Charlie has got to get his money some how. taking a public interest channel away from the public and making people pay for it is one way. perhaps he will get more subscribers to the AT 200 because of this.

Perhaps we can get baseball on public access :)

Or get some customers to drop down to the Family Package instead. A lot of people that are on a budget are probably the ones that like RFD anyways and Dish might be making almost as much on the Family package as they do on AT100 so they figure they are more likely to make more profit by moving into a higher package than for the customer to drop down to Family Package.

All this continued blather about "Charlie the Content Provider Fighter" is just that. He doesn't fight for you and me but rather for his own wallet. When was the last time your monthly subscription rate went down because if his tactics ? Oh sure, we lose a channel for weeks on end as he fights for a deal but at the end of the day, our rates still go up every year and we've had to endure program disruption and disruption.
I've been with E* for many years now and way back when E* was considerably cheaper than my cable co. Way back then E* didn't play the fee game either. You bought the equipment and that was that. Now you've got lease fees, programming access fees, multiple receiver fees, and on and on. Just like cable. Currently TWC is cheaper overall(with Internet, phone and cable) than E* and gives me way more channels than what I had with AT60. For me the financial benefit has totally been reversed. E* has been very successful in pricing
themselves right out of being competitive.

Sir, I'm not insinuating that Charlie Ergen is some type of saint, trying to fight for the good of his subscribers. I'm not 19 and an idealist...I'm a 52 year old cynic. The bottom line is his profit margin, and I'm not thick enough to deny that.

However, Mr. Ergen will at least try and haggle with networks, unlike DirecTV, which apparently accepts any and every deal thrown at them by the content providers. That is how it has seemed to me, at least, particuarly since Rupert Murdoch assumed the helm. As a former DirecTV subscriber, I would have been paying roughly $10.00 a month more for Total Choice in March of this year (compared to a little under three years ago), had I given into their latest rounds of price hikes.

DirecTV, at this point, is courting the well heeled consumer who doesn't mind spending a fortune each month for television. Charlie Ergen at least seems to realize that there is some money to be made by offering lower tiered packages at a decent price...and that's why I now have AT100, not Total Choice.

I still stand by my original contention...if anyone has the guts to stand up to overpriced providers like ESPN, it would be Charlie Ergen...regardless of his motives.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts