RG 11 cable

dude2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2006
What is the difference between rg6 and rg11 cable. I have never worked with rg11 but have been told by my local tech that I should change out the rg6 to rg11 and my pq would be better on both hd and sd.

Size & price

The RG-11 may have a lower amt of antenuation than RG-6 due to the size of the conductor. It has a 14 awg and RG-6 has 16 awg. The thing is I have looked at several sites and none of them rate the freq sweep of the cable at a freq higher than 1ghz. The better RG-6 is rated well past 3ghz, The signal that is used in sat is 950 to 2150 mhz ( .95 to 2.15 ghz ). RG 11 may be great for cable or OTA but since it isn't rated for higher freq I would stay away from it. Also you will have to use special connectors to fit into the F connectors or it will spread them out so large that only RG 11 can be used. The connectors are also quite pricey.

The RG11 cable has a larger core, but tinned and stranded. It is scaled up to maintain 75 ohms. But: the dielectric is solid compared to RG6's foam so there is more high frequency attenuation. (BTW: RG6 has a large core than RG59 because of the lower dielectric constant and to keep 75 ohm impedance.) RG6 is a lot easier to bend, too. I would use RG11 only for OTA when you need to power an antenna amp at more that 200 feet and then it would be better to use a separate power cord. RG6 with thick enough braid should give a good DC pass for most runs.

-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts