RG-6

Falcon195

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 23, 2018
Ohio
I was told that RG-6 cable is only necessary between the dish and the Hopper 3.
RG-6 isn't necessary between the Joey 3's and the Hopper 3.
Can anybody get me some info. on this ?
RG6

Last edited:
True. The Joeys use what's basically legacy bandwidth, in the 1350-1800Mhz range so RG59 is fine for the Joeys. The Hopper, between the Dish and the Receiver must be RG6, 3Ghz cable

My Dish installer used a orange colored coax between the western arc hybrid lnb and the hybrid solo hub. Is the orange cable considered 3 GHz RG6 ? The orange cable is being used to run under ground from the dish to the hybrid solo hub. BTW my installer needs to come back and finish the install of the dish on a pole mount (needed to call oups) and to run RG6 from the hybrid solo hub to the Hopper 3. My installer said that the older RG59 ( which is what my house is wired with) coming off of the hybrid solo hub to the Joey 3's is OK. So your information and his seems to correspond. Am I correct in this?
Thanks for your timely reply.

The orange cable is RG6 direct bury. It’s orange so if your digging a hole, you can easily identify the wire.

I believe RG59 is acceptable between the Hopper and Joeys.

However let me say this. Unless the wire is inside the walls and is inaccessible, it should really be replaced. How long would it take for the installer to pull out the old wire and run all brand new?

What people fail to realize is that the installer is being paid to run all new wire for your install.

It might be cool at the time to say it’s Ok To use the existing wire, but when you have issues with it, your going to be the one on the phone with Dish talking to tech support in the Philippines and fighting over wether or not you should have to pay for a service call to fix it.

Unless the wire is In the wall and replacing it would be wrapping the house from the outside, I would make the tech replace it.

If you want to end a potential argument, take out the wire before the installer comes back and they have no choice but to replace it.

If the installer complains, tell him you called Dish and they said RG59 would not work.

Sing this to the song "Anticipation"...

"Misinformation, it's making me sick"

Reactions: HipKat
True. The Joeys use what's basically legacy bandwidth, in the 1350-1800Mhz range so RG59 is fine for the Joeys. The Hopper, between the Dish and the Receiver must be RG6, 3Ghz cable
While I totally agree any new or upgraded installations should use the 3ghz RG6 cable, I know several dish customers that have less than 3ghz RG6 that function just fine.

When building my house I pre-wired it with RG6 that was swept for 2.25ghz (I don't think at the time (2006) the 3ghz cable was even available), and when I upgraded to the HWS everything functioned just fine.

The orange cable is RG6 direct bury. It’s orange so if your digging a hole, you can easily identify the wire.

I believe RG59 is acceptable between the Hopper and Joeys.

However let me say this. Unless the wire is inside the walls and is inaccessible, it should really be replaced. How long would it take for the installer to pull out the old wire and run all brand new?

What people fail to realize is that the installer is being paid to run all new wire for your install.

It might be cool at the time to say it’s Ok To use the existing wire, but when you have issues with it, your going to be the one on the phone with Dish talking to tech support in the Philippines and fighting over wether or not you should have to pay for a service call to fix it.

Unless the wire is In the wall and replacing it would be wrapping the house from the outside, I would make the tech replace it.

If you want to end a potential argument, take out the wire before the installer comes back and they have no choice but to replace it.

If the installer complains, tell him you called Dish and they said RG59 would not work.
As I agree that new RG6 would be preferred. The issue I have is the old cable (RG59) runs through the walls and connects to coax boxes in the walls. So replacing it would be quite a job. And I don't want to have to drill any additional holes in the outside or inside walls.

As I agree that new RG6 would be preferred. The issue I have is the old cable (RG59) runs through the walls and connects to coax boxes in the walls. So replacing it would be quite a job. And I don't want to have to drill any additional holes in the outside or inside walls.

As long as you have good quality RG59 in the walls with good connectors it should be fine for the Joeys but definitely not for the Hopper.

In the old days they used to say RG59 would not work on from the dish to the receiver. I had several that worked fine with RG59 where i could not get a new RG6 cable pulled in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)