RG6 2300mhz vs RG6 quad at 3mhz

Capt Odyssea

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Florida
So I got a second dish 1000.2 western feed, aligned and got much better signal than my original dish. High 60's-70's on all 3 birds.
As I had gotten a 100ft and 50 ft Quad I used them and pulled to the receiver locations, removing the RG6 2300mhz rated.
I figure i'll get another new to replace the RG6 the old dish was using, tune it up better and have as a spare but those cables worked fine for years, from SD (dish 500) to HD (1000.2) upgrade
But was just curious about the cable difference/necessity.
I used to have one HD and 2 SD receivers (301's if I remember) but both of those developed switch problems not seeing the two out of three birds from the 1000.2
Now, as I just made that statement I believe I just identified the problem. Possibly not doing a check switch on the 301's when I changed the dish.
Those receivers are long gone, anyway, cable question basically.

For a given brand, there is no difference in loss between regular CATV/satellite RG-6 and its quad shield counterpart. One brand might have a very tiny bit less loss for quad shield over regular, and vice versa but that is subtle differences in cable mfrs and nothing to do with quad shield.

The place where quad shield works well is in bundles, where you can have the same or different signals on different cables that are tightly packed together. The quad shield cuts down on leakage and signal ingress through the shield, so you don't get low level ghosts of signals from other cables showing up.

I've seen cases where there is a solid 6 or 8in dia tight bundle of regular RG-6 with one foil and one token braid shield and you can actually pick up a signal on an otherwise dead cable because of high signal levels leaking between cables. I've had to rip out regular RG-6 in cases like this and replace with quad shield. If you only have a run or two of RG-6 and they are not run on top of each other for long distances there is no need to use quad shield.

So I got a second dish 1000.2 western feed, aligned and got much better signal than my original dish. High 60's-70's on all 3 birds.
As I had gotten a 100ft and 50 ft Quad I used them and pulled to the receiver locations, removing the RG6 2300mhz rated.
I figure i'll get another new to replace the RG6 the old dish was using, tune it up better and have as a spare but those cables worked fine for years, from SD (dish 500) to HD (1000.2) upgrade
But was just curious about the cable difference/necessity.
I used to have one HD and 2 SD receivers (301's if I remember) but both of those developed switch problems not seeing the two out of three birds from the 1000.2
Now, as I just made that statement I believe I just identified the problem. Possibly not doing a check switch on the 301's when I changed the dish.
Those receivers are long gone, anyway, cable question basically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts