RG6 Coax Connectors & Compression Tools

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
See the link here for a source where I buy small quantities of "brand name" quality connectors at a reasonable cost. Their price for 10 pcs. Digicon connectors is $7.50 which includes shipping. And their delivery is prompt.

http://www.cencom94.com/gpage1.html

rckowal said:
See the link here for a source where I buy small quantities of "brand name" quality connectors at a reasonable cost. Their price for 10 pcs. Digicon connectors is $7.50 which includes shipping. And their delivery is prompt.

I hope you are saying Digicon is good. I just got 200 off Ebay for $36.50. Seems good. rckowal need some more? I'll be a LONG time using 200.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3835302783&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Green or Blue???

I've been lurking around this thread and thought I ask a couple of "dumb" questions.

How do I tell if my RG-6 cable is tri or quad shield? The house I just bought has screw type f connectors on RG-6 cable in every room. I've been thinking of replacing them with better connectors. I don't think the cable is quad shield. I think the contractor just purchased what was on the shelf at Home Depot or Lowes.

Relatedly, I've noticed that the green Digicon connectors are readily available on EBAY now. Would they work if the cable is not quad? Or should I get the blue connectors, instead? Do other brands of connectors make a distinction between tri and quad shield?

Thanks for your help. -- Dave

rckowal,
Thanks for the tip. I'm ordering the compression tool, flaring tool, and 10 Digicon connectors per your suggestion above. Did you purchase a stripping tool as well? Which one?

rckowal said:
Carl B, I returned my Zenith to Lowes for a refund then I bought this Paladin tool.

http://www.paladin-tools.com/seal58watcat.html

It's very well built, rachets so connctors are easy to compress and works with most compression connectors. I've already used it to install Digicon as well as T&B Snap N Seal connectors on RG6 quad shield - it worked flawlessly.

I bought it from this company for just over $30. By the way, while you're at it - order the flaring tool for about $7. It's a jewel & well worth it! It really helps during prepping of the stripped cable end and pushing the connector onto the cable prior to compressing it.

http://www.trynci.com/cat/tool34.htm

Nice info! I just ordered the Paladin tool from here.

Great idea on the flare tool - I found one that does rg6 as well as rg59 for $7.71 on that same part# page (item number pal1917).

Thanks.

It might be simply better to find someone in the satellite business who has a current copy of the Perfect-10 catalog, and for a slight mark-up, will sell you the right tool for the job.

You can also go to an electronics and electrical supply house and check with them.

Lowes? Home Depot? :eek:

No, check with some local pros and get the scoop from them. They can get them for you.

Stripping tool I had. The one Lowes & a million other places ell for about $10. In fact, had a cable TV tech here today & they use the very same thing.

Carl B said:
rckowal,
Thanks for the tip. I'm ordering the compression tool, flaring tool, and 10 Digicon connectors per your suggestion above. Did you purchase a stripping tool as well? Which one?

If you have screw-on connectors then most likely its standard not quad shield. I don't think there's a screw-on connector for quad.

Look at the cable itself. Usually there are markings like brand name, type, etc. Some times is says whether it's quad. If not, Google search the brand name & see what the suppliers website tells you about the cable number you have.

Connectors for quad will not fit & install properly on standard shield cable. Conversely, standard shield will not even slip on quad. Quad is larger in diameter.

daveply]I've been lurking around this thread and thought I ask a couple of "dumb" questions.

How do I tell if my RG-6 cable is tri or quad shield? The house I just bought has screw type f connectors on RG-6 cable in every room. I've been thinking of replacing them with better connectors. I don't think the cable is quad shield. I think the contractor just purchased what was on the shelf at Home Depot or Lowes.

Relatedly, I've noticed that the green Digicon connectors are readily available on EBAY now. Would they work if the cable is not quad? Or should I get the blue connectors, instead? Do other brands of connectors make a distinction between tri and quad shield?

Thanks for your help. -- Dave[/QUOTE]

rckowal said:
Can some one, with experience in this subject, please comment on a good compression (NOT CRIMP) tool to buy for DIY & hobby use. I'm looking for one that is reasonable in price (don't want - nor can I afford the best) and capable of installing more than just it's own band of connectors.

I'm currently considering the Paladin "SealTite" PAL901024 tool. Can any one comment on this one - especially from personal experience with it? Can it install other brands of quality connectors like Digicon, Thomas & Betts Snap N Seal, PPC EXXL, etc. that are available for less than $0.75/each? With a little shopping around, this tool is available for $31.00.

There is also a DIY "Zenith brand" compression tool; model ZDS5061, available at Lowes & other stores for about $12.00. Drawback is that they claim it MUST be used (yea sure! - or maybe?) with their connectors; model ZDS5062, which sell for $4.00/pack of two. Has anyone used this tool with other brands of connectors? If so, which ones? By the way, don't confuse this brand new Zenith tool with its predecessor (?ZDS4041 - I think?) which fell apart after the second use. They were recalled a few months ago.

Any & all help will be much appreciated.

The Paladin 901024 is a generic style compression tool that come in slightly different sizes. I have an almost identical JVI branded compression tool that has a slightly smaller compression final stroke than the 901024 because it is designed for Sterling connectors which compress to a smaller size. The Digicon connectors are longer than the SNS but appear to be the same size once compressed. I would use to 901024 for Sealtites, SNS & AIM only as recommended at various sites selling them. With this type of ratchet tool you must complete the compression cycle before removing the connector. If you cannot complete the cycle because the connector is too long, you won't be able to remove the connector from the tool. If you try to force it, you could damage the tool. So far I have not had the guts to try a digicon in a 901024 and use the T&B tool that has the built in stripper. However, it looks like it would work IF in the uncompressed state the Digicon fit OK in the 901024 as once compressed it sure looks like the same size as the SNS connector.

Not to worry my friend. Using my 901024, I've already installed several Digicon connectors on RG6 quad shield with no problem what so ever. It was a "no brainer" to do.

red hazard said:
The Paladin 901024 is a generic style compression tool that come in slightly different sizes. I have an almost identical JVI branded compression tool that has a slightly smaller compression final stroke than the 901024 because it is designed for Sterling connectors which compress to a smaller size. The Digicon connectors are longer than the SNS but appear to be the same size once compressed. I would use to 901024 for Sealtites, SNS & AIM only as recommended at various sites selling them. With this type of ratchet tool you must complete the compression cycle before removing the connector. If you cannot complete the cycle because the connector is too long, you won't be able to remove the connector from the tool. If you try to force it, you could damage the tool. So far I have not had the guts to try a digicon in a 901024 and use the T&B tool that has the built in stripper. However, it looks like it would work IF in the uncompressed state the Digicon fit OK in the 901024 as once compressed it sure looks like the same size as the SNS connector.

Hey rckowal, got the Digicon connectors from CENCOM, but something looks wrong. While they are GREEN, they are marked DS6UT rather than DS6Q. I ordered the connectors for quad-shielded RG-6. Is this normal? I emailed CENCOM, but haven't heard back. I don't want to use the connectors if they are the wrong item. Comment?

Well, good news and bad news.

Got my Paladin tool and flare tool. Very nice.

But I think I messed up on the Digicon connectors I ordered.

I didn't want 50 of each (rg6 and rg59) so I shopped froogle and ordered these (about 20 of each):

http://more4mymoney.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=digicon

I didn't realize that there are 2 styles of Digicon. From this page:

I can see the following:

In the Standard series, the die that creates the swedge is located in the tool, while the S series die is resident in the connector itself.

Well crap! I guess I got the Standard series, as they appear shorter than others I see.

Live and learn.

Carl B,

All I can tell you is that the Digicons I got from Cencom are green and are marked DS6QT. Maybe you need glasses???

Best

QUOTE=Carl B]Hey rckowal, got the Digicon connectors from CENCOM, but something looks wrong. While they are GREEN, they are marked DS6UT rather than DS6Q. I ordered the connectors for quad-shielded RG-6. Is this normal? I emailed CENCOM, but haven't heard back. I don't want to use the connectors if they are the wrong item. Comment?[/QUOTE]

No the marking on the connectors that I received is DS6UT.09-03 rather than the designation on the web page I ordered from, DS6Q. I received the following response from CENCOM regarding the marking:

Actually, you got a better deal than you bargained for. The DS6UT is their
new universal connector. It can be used on standard, tri, or quad-shield
cable.

So I can go ahead and use these connectors on my quad-shielded RG-6 coax. That is, if the tools I ordered from the other vendor ever show up. Very poor customer service there.

Carl B said:
So I can go ahead and use these connectors on my quad-shielded RG-6 coax. That is, if the tools I ordered from the other vendor ever show up. Very poor customer service there.

Carl B:

Did you get your tools yet?

Carl, not sure where you are at on this but Paladin is is great selection ... ANY electrical supply house will usually carry these

Got the tools last Friday. Unfortunately a day too late to help me with my latest project requiring new coax and connectors. Never received a reply from the vendor to either my VoiceMail message or my email message. However, the vendor did combine the orders into one shipment, even though they were placed under separate order numbers. Apparently somebody there is on their toes.

Well in another week or so I'll be making more OTA antenna setup changes and will need to fashion some short coax jumpers. I can try out all my new toys then.

Has anyone ever used compression keystone inserts?

http://www.icmcorp.net/hip/pages/hip_inserts.htm

They seem like they would be easier to put on and provide a slightly better signal since you don't have to screw a regular connector to the back of a standard coax insert.

Anyone know where to get these? I'll be wiring my uncle's house soon and was considering using these....

edit: just found some leviton ones at http://www.tselectronic.com/leviton/40782.html but they are crazily priced at ~$2 each... they should be slightly more than standard connectors IMO

DS6UT is the new ARRIS "T" Series not old "S" Series

Carl B said:
Hey rckowal, got the Digicon connectors from CENCOM, but something looks wrong. While they are GREEN, they are marked DS6UT rather than DS6Q. I ordered the connectors for quad-shielded RG-6. Is this normal? I emailed CENCOM, but haven't heard back. I don't want to use the connectors if they are the wrong item. Comment?

I was concerned about the same thing when I got 5 bags off Ebay for $20 + $10 S&H and they were the UT vice Q. After doing a bit of research I came across the following link of the manufacturer: http://www.arrisistore.com/cgi-bin/...roduct_Code=713351&Category_Code=DIGICONDCRG6

I tested the DS6UT with tri shield Belden 7915A (.275'' OD) and it seemed to make a very good seal. With quad I had a little trouble getting the cable in but it still worked. I would however be a little reluctant to use if on dual with 60% braid. However, on Belden 1694A (.274'' OD & 95% braid) it should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts