RG6 in Conduit

twolf58

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
I am interested in learning if RG6 carring DBS signals can be routed through conduit which also will be housing electrical service lines.

I am interested in learning if RG6 carring DBS signals can be routed through conduit which also will be housing electrical service lines.

No NO NO!

Code prevents electrical wires and coax in the same conduit. VERY dangerous besides. Not to mention interference issue that probably will pop up.

Don't do it!

No NO NO!

Code prevents electrical wires and coax in the same conduit. VERY dangerous besides. Not to mention interference issue that probably will pop up.

Don't do it!

If memory serves, technically your coax runs are to be at least 12" (or was it 18") away from the main electrical drop/runs going into the circuit breaker box. Too many times I'll walk up to a job and see the installer zip-tied the coax to the electrical drop as it's running down the side of the home.

No NO NO!

Don't do it!
I did a service call once to a house where the customer complained of signal dropping out. When I went above my head to try and find the coax cable going to the receiver I touched the grid for the suspended ceiling and was knocked on my ass. The installer had run the coax through the same conduit as the electrical service entrance and then out of the side of the breaker box and it was rubbing on a breaker and getting electrified. Everything in the house that wasn't grounded would shock you when touched.

Too many times I'll walk up to a job and see the installer zip-tied the coax to the electrical drop as it's running down the side of the home.
Hey, that's what your co-worker did for me.... :) Actually, I have ZERO issues with it so I'm not complaining and don't plan to do anything about it.

Hey, that's what your co-worker did for me.... :) Actually, I have ZERO issues with it so I'm not complaining and don't plan to do anything about it.

Newer, better insulated electrical drops shouldn't be an issue. My beef is with the nylon insulation that is fraying and exposing all 3 phases (note: I never once said, "I've never zip-tied to electric drops" :) ).