RG6 Re-use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RSquirrel

Original poster
Apr 23, 2012
California
I am planning an upgrade from an old Tivo HDVR2 to the new HR34 (HMC). I am hoping that I can utilize my existing RG6, because it's running through several walls from the attic and trying to pull a new RG6 would be nearly impossible (no, I can't pull a new run by using the existing as a "pull cord" - it has a number of plastic cable clips and several stud penetrations).

Here's what I have now:

General Cable/Carol C5785 RG6/U Quad-shield #18 copper-clad steel conductor (11.79 dB/100 ft at 3000 MHz).

Total length of run: < 55 feet
Run break at Ground Block
Run break at coupler in Mechanical Room
Terminated at wall plate behind DTV Receiver

So my question for you installers out there is this: Can I plan on using the existing RG6 with the expectation of minimal issues? I realize that the ideal thing to do would be to pull a new run, but I can't realistically make that happen.

You can reuse it. They say that copper clad isn't going to work but we all know it will. I've seen people with an issue and we have had to rerun new but I'd say you'll be fine

You can reuse it. They say that copper clad isn't going to work but we all know it will. I've seen people with an issue and we have had to rerun new but I'd say you'll be fine

Thanks, Hutch, That's the answer I was hoping for. From your verbiage and your title, it sounds like you know what you're talking about. Unless someone else makes a strong case otherwise, I will proceed on that basis.

RSquirrel said:
Thanks, Hutch, That's the answer I was hoping for. From your verbiage and your title, it sounds like you know what you're talking about. Unless someone else makes a strong case otherwise, I will proceed on that basis.

Somebody will/can make a strong case otherwise but from experience and these forums we've all seen it used with no issues and some with issues. I'd say the odds are in your favor ;)

RSqurrel,

WELCOME to the Site !

Like Hutch said, you'll be fine ...

However, I would check any barrels you may have and make sure they have the Blue inside, not the old White ones.

Jimbo said:
RSqurrel,

WELCOME to the Site !

Like Hutch said, you'll be fine ...

However, I would check any barrels you may have and make sure they have the Blue inside, not the old White ones.

Orange :)
Directv has switched to orange barrels now. Blue still works but the new supplier uses orange coloring so both will be find

Hutch,OSD771,Jimbo,

Thank you all for your helpful responses. So far, so good. To respond to all: There are two breaks in my RG6 run, the first one at the grounding block, the second is a barrel/coupler in the mechanical room, then the run terminates at a Leviton 40831 Quickport F-Connector in the wall-plate behind the DirecTV receiver.

New Questions:
Q1. Does the installer replace the grounding block, or do I need to do that? If the latter, source?
Q2. I will replace the mechanical room barrel - are the orange ones readily available (e.g. Leviton) or are they proprietary with DirecTV?
Q3. Similar for the wall-plate F-connector, are these readily available (by Leviton or ??)?

RSquirrel said:
Hutch,OSD771,Jimbo,

Thank you all for your helpful responses. So far, so good. To respond to all: There are two breaks in my RG6 run, the first one at the grounding block, the second is a barrel/coupler in the mechanical room, then the run terminates at a Leviton 40831 Quickport F-Connector in the wall-plate behind the DirecTV receiver.

New Questions:
Q1. Does the installer replace the grounding block, or do I need to do that? If the latter, source?
Q2. I will replace the mechanical room barrel - are the orange ones readily available (e.g. Leviton) or are they proprietary with DirecTV?
Q3. Similar for the wall-plate F-connector, are these readily available (by Leviton or ??)?

1) installer SHOULD replace the ground block
2) installer SHOULD also replace the barrel
3)installer SHOULD replace the wall plate

I say "SHOULD" because most will only change the ground block, as for the barrels being offered I'm sure they are somewhere but I don't know where. I have a van full of them :D

Hutch, I searched for the spec's on the Leviton Quickport F Connectors (40831) and they seem to be good for 2.5 GHz (these are gold-plated, the nickel plated are good for only 1 GHz). The Leviton website shows nothing with a higher spec, so I assume this is the best they have to offer. The new graphic on the Leviton website shows a blue center, instead of the white center on the ones I have. Is 2.5 GHz adequate to pass the signal through? If not, I'll need to find a different manufacturer. Or if you're up to it, I could send you a personal check for $10 to cover your time, effort and shipping, if you wouldn't mind sending me five or so of the barrels that you have. If you're okay with this, e-mail me your mailing address to <idealogic "at" surfnetc.com> and once the check clears, you can safely send them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.