RG6 Requirements

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
My house is pre-wired with RG6u cable that has 2.25ghz on the cable. Will this present a problem for the hopper? Apologies if this has been discussed before.

Yes, it is specific to the Hopper...
Just wondering. The hopper would be receiving the same signal from the Dish that the 622 receives, so why would I have a problem with rg6/u 2.25ghz?

I plan on having the installer set up the hopper in the most basic mode (power, existing rg6 and hdmi to the TV) just to confirm it will work. If all is well, then go on to the rest of the installation. If not, I may elect to postpone the hopper upgrade until a later time when I can rewire with the 3ghz stuff. I'm not comfortable with an installer doing that work.

Just wondering. The hopper would be receiving the same signal from the Dish that the 622 receives, so why would I have a problem with rg6/u 2.25ghz?
It's not the same signal from Dish to Hopper. It's the same signal from Dish to the Node.

The signal from Node to the Hopper requires an additional 500mhz (plus headroom) of bandwidth to accommodate the 3rd tuner.

It's not the same signal from Dish to Hopper. It's the same signal from Dish to the Node.

The signal from Node to the Hopper requires an additional 500mhz (plus headroom) of bandwidth to accommodate the 3rd tuner.
If I understand correctly, you're saying only the rg6 from the node to the hopper would possibly need to be upgraded to the 3ghz rg6. Is that correct?

That 2.5 ghz just means that is what the cable has been sweep tested to that frequency with a specified amount of loss. There is no specific reason that 3 ghz frequencies will not go through that cable, it has just not been certified to work at that level. There is a very good chance you will have zero problems with it.

That 2.5 ghz just means that is what the cable has been sweep tested to that frequency with a specified amount of loss. There is no specific reason that 3 ghz frequencies will not go through that cable, it has just not been certified to work at that level. There is a very good chance you will have zero problems with it.

Fingers crossed.
The installer will be here in about an hour so we'll see then. Yes, they work on Sunday's.

If it works and makes his job easier, I bet the installer will have no problem with it.
Agreed. The working part is the key part. That all said, I guess it all depends on the QA tech in his area... I hear techs can fail for using pre-existing wallfishs

Fingers crossed.
The installer will be here in about an hour so we'll see then. Yes, they work on Sunday's.
Update! The installer came and went, and everything works with the existing rg6. In fact, the only thing I'm having a bit of a problem with is my Denon 3802 Home Theatre receiver. I can adjust the volume and turn it off, but I can't as of yet get the remote to turn it on. I suppose I'll have to experiment with other codes.
I can also confirm, despite Dish tech support's insistence to the contrary, that the EHD's from the 622 do indeed work with the hopper.

I can also confirm, despite Dish tech support's insistence to the contrary, that the EHD's from the 622 do indeed work with the hopper.
We told you so!:oldwink
Also, the Hopper usually takes two to three days to "settle in", so if something does not appear to be working correctly, let it do its' thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)