RG6 Requirements

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
We told you so!:oldwink
Yes, you did. If I had to rely solely on Dish support, I'd end up pretty frustrated. It's a good thing "Satellite Guys" is around.
We told you so!:oldwink
Also, the Hopper usually takes two to three days to "settle in", so if something does not appear to be working correctly, let it do its' thing.

Two to three days to settle in? Is the thing alive? lol.

A little comment on RG-6. A few months ago I had to replace a wallplate. The connectors inside were very old crimp style so I decided to replace them. When I stripped back the cable, I was amazed how little braid was on the cable. Hardly any at all. (Year 1985 Belden) The center conductor had foam on it. You had to scrape the foam off to make a connection. Years ago when I had Direct TV making a install, things weren't going well. Found out the foam was insulating the center pin connection.

The bottom line is despite the flaws in this cable, the Hopper in my bedroom works flawlessly. My new runs are all 3 gig rated.

Installing these things you see all kinds of issues without proper cable used. I've seen a hopper work fine on RG59 but only ONLY for a limited amount of time then it slowly started having issues. The tech should have replaced the cable from the node to the hopper location and be done with it cause there will be issues down the road I'm sure. The cable from the node to the dish can be 2.25 rated or higher RG6, that won't hurt nothing but the node to the hopper must always be RG6 3Ghz rated as it transfers 3 levels of bandwidth stacking for each of the 3 tuners that covers the whole 3Ghz run.

My Hopper works perfectly, for 3 years, on an RG6 cable that I ran 28 years ago. It is 100' long.

Installing these things you see all kinds of issues without proper cable used. I've seen a hopper work fine on RG59 but only ONLY for a limited amount of time then it slowly started having issues. The tech should have replaced the cable from the node to the hopper location and be done with it cause there will be issues down the road I'm sure. The cable from the node to the dish can be 2.25 rated or higher RG6, that won't hurt nothing but the node to the hopper must always be RG6 3Ghz rated as it transfers 3 levels of bandwidth stacking for each of the 3 tuners that covers the whole 3Ghz run.

Just how long a time can I look to see my 3 year old Hopper work on the 100' foot cable RG-6 cable that I placed 28 years ago. Sometimes you seem to talk about things that you envision as the truth when they are an opinion. I am living proof that that opinion is not correct in my case.... ;)

We must not forget that 3 gig cable only means that it was tested to pass a 3 gig freq. Just because older cable wasn't tested to this freq years ago, does not mean it will not work.

We must not forget that 3 gig cable only means that it was tested to pass a 3 gig freq. Just because older cable wasn't tested to this freq years ago, does not mean it will not work.
That is exactly what I was told. My RG6 cable was tested at 2.25ghz, but that only means it's certified at 2.25ghz as the minimum. The cable could very well have tested higher if they wanted to test it.
In any event, everything works perfectly with this cable, so worst case scenario would mean I run a 3ghz length of cable from the node to the hopper, but until something occurs that necessitates this, I'm not doing anything, because I'm betting I won't ever have to do anything.

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)