RG6 -vs- RG59 Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tom in TX

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 27, 2004
I had my 811 installed a few months ago, and had run a new RG6 cable (100 ft) from the dish to my attic, but it wasn't quite long enough to reach down the wall to the receiver. I ran an old RG59 the last 15 feet. I had forgot all about it until today! My question is, will I get any improvement by replacing the 59 with 6 for that last run. Could I expect improved PQ, or signal strength? I have a Dish 500, with old (Legacy?) LNB. Any ideas?
Tom in TX

On the feed cable?....Big no no...Just change it out, better be safe than have issues in the middle of the Superbowl...;)

Jason

Yes, what Jason said.

Swap it out for sure, but don't expect to see any improvement in PQ - unless you're getting weak signal pixellation. What's your numbers on transponders 11 & 12 on 110 & 119? You should be getting around 100 there in Texas.

Fine numbers. If you felt like it, you might try tweaking it a bit to get the 110 up, but if you're not having any problems (like rain fade), I'd recommend leaving it alone.

My 119 is a seperate dish and was previously a DirecTV dish on RG59. The RG59 I have on this 80 foot run that was a high quality and swept to over 2g. My numbers on 119 now run on the CONUS transponders, from a low of 97 to a high of 125. Standard or cheap 59, I am sure, would not do as well.

SimpleSimon said:
Hey Barry - how are you running a non-DishPro (D*) LNB with a SuperDish???

I'm not. I swapped out the D* dish weeks ago with a 300 and a DP LNB. I used that for the 119 13v channel and a dish I had for the neighbor for the 18v input until the Dish unit arrived. The wiring is the same and the mount is the same. I only said the coax was the same coax.

I have numerous 50+ foot runs of RG59 in my house. In fact I don't have any RG6 in my house, Dish works just fine and has now for almost 11 months since install date. Obviously if it were me, I wouldn't worry about the last 15' of RG59 cable.

I guess I lied, when they did install the Dish, they did use RG6 from the Dish to the house. But everywhere inside my house is RG59.

I did go ahead and replaced the RG59 with RG6 yesterday. It made absolutely no difference in signal strenght, or PQ. Don't know why they say you need to use RG6.
Thanks for all the feedback.
Tom in TX

Tom in TX said:
I did go ahead and replaced the RG59 with RG6 yesterday. It made absolutely no difference in signal strenght, or PQ. Don't know why they say you need to use RG6.
Thanks for all the feedback.
Tom in TX
Two main reasons. Better noise rejection and less resistance. Neither is a facto for short runs, but when you start talking 3-digit distances, it can make or break the installation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)