Rg6

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dfacc

Original poster
Dec 23, 2003
OK, I just recently noticed that when I first had Directv installed, they left the original RG59 in, and didnt replace it with RG6. I'm going to schedule a service order to replace the cable. My question is, is there a big difference between the 2?

thanks!

RG6 has larger bandwidth capacity, and can carry data for longer distances. RG59 can "work" with DirecTV, but only with short distances before signal loss effects your reception.

al said:
RG6 has larger bandwidth capacity, and can carry data for longer distances. RG59 can "work" with DirecTV, but only with short distances before signal loss effects your reception.

My basement was finished and they ran RG59. My HDTivo wil be installed on Friday. The RG59 run is approx 40 feet. Will this length of run affect the pic quality or should I have RG6 ran?

dulzen said:
replace your rg59 with good rg6 cable.

This is typically good advice. RG6 cable is always preferable to RG59 for DBS. However, as the cable has already been run in a finished basement, and as it is a relatively short cable run, it hurts nothing for okaydave to try the RG59 first. Provided his receiver has adequate signal strength, the RG59 will not affect his picture quality. If the signal strength is inadequate, he can always replace the cable once he knows for sure.

Just my .02 cents. :cool:

Al

I have heard that Rg59 can burn out with the higher voltage... I believe this is why they want you to run Rg6 ...

If your Rg59 is running through Walls there may be extra charges for the fish...

022266 said:
I have heard that Rg59 can burn out with the higher voltage... I believe this is why they want you to run Rg6 ...

If your Rg59 is running through Walls there may be extra charges for the fish...

They are already running two other RG6s for the OTA and another since i am getting the HDTivo. Before they finished the basement, I ran pvc conduit along the ceiling to make it easier to fish coax.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts