RG6u and electric lines

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shultz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
87W 40N
ok, i'm a newbe to fta. i went out and bought a coolsat 6000, 39" fortec dish, stab hh-120 motor, invacom qph-031 lnb. (i hope this is a good setup) i'm going to try to hook it up this week, and i have a cable question. i plan to mount the dish in the backyard. i have my electric meter on the side of the house and wires from it are in a pipe that is buried and run over to my garage. my question is: could i feed the rg6u cable though the pipe with the electric wire or will this cause interference in the fta system? right now, i'm looking at about a 100' cable run, but if it would work going though the pipe, i could save about 25'.
thanks for any help

thats what i figured
i'm sure once i get it setup, i'll have more questions.
thanks

Big nasty no no..

Never share a conduit containing line voltage (service feeder) with class II comunication circuits.

RF interference as well as safety and fire issues could result.

Run your cables seperately or run your own 3/4" conduit if you like.

or just get RG-6 direct burial cable with "icky pick" that seals the inner cable from moisture intrusion. Very messy to put on connectors sometimes but worth the hassle.

According to the NEC wires in the same conduit must have the same insulation factor(240V)
Besides that fact,it is illegal to run anything in the conduit with the service conductor.
Interference should not be a problem if the shield on the RG cable is grounded.
Reinhold.

Welcome to the hobby, Shultz.

I think you will be happy with your equipment choices, but if you're like many of us it will not be long before you want to add to it.

The least expensive but most difficult to install component of a system is often the coax. When you open a trench or snake through a wall cavity I suggest you place at least one spare run for future expansion.

Conduit isn't exactly cheap but anytime I have to trench I bite the bullet and bury an empty run. The conduit can be terminated with an above grade pull box at each end, or just capped off below grade.

When you open a trench or snake through a wall cavity I suggest you place at least one spare run for future expansion.

AMEN to that!
I never in a million years thought I'd have as much coax running through the house as I do now, and I just started with this hobby less than a year ago (bought the house in December, and the fta stuff a few months later, and still working on aquiring everything)...

I've got coax going from invacom's two lnb ports (C and L) to the switch, from the switch to the motor, from the motor to the receiver, from the reciever to a vcr, vcr to tv; receiver to computer upstairs (follows same basic route as to dish + several more feet to get across the roof to an open vent to get in the attic - I have brick walls all the way up to roof, so can't just punch holes in the walls wherever, have to use holes that are already there), computer upstairs back to the receiver where it is B in an A/B switch... the A is the OTA antenna, which is a whole other long coax run to the roof, (so that's 2 computer coax's - one coming in and one coming out), computer to vcr up near computer uses some other a/v wiring... then there's a lot of long speaker wire going from computer to living room, coax going from vcr in living room to basement where there's another tv... and that's not even mentioning the coax going to the tv upstairs in computer room,... and if that's all not enough for ya, I'm thinking of getting a dvb world box, so will be running yet another coax from computer to receiver, this time going to the IF out!

i started out back in january with dish and a 311 in one room, now i got vip211's in four rooms, plus had to run cable for the ota antenna to all 4 receivers, so while i was at it, i ran phone lines to all 4 receivers also. this little hobbie (i'm hoping) will just go to one room (right now) (like the wife says: "yeah right"!) i got more wire in my attic then beldon makes i think! but it's a fun hobbie and i enjoy learning about all this stuff, and ALL you guys have been a tremendous help!! now, my new garage is almost done, i just might have to put a tv in there!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts