Ribbon Cable RG6 Compression Connector Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lone Gunman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2010
southeast
Finally broke down and bought some compression connectors and the tool to replace the screw on RG6 "F" connectors I've been using for the past 16 years. Problem is the RG6 in the ribbon cable I have is TOO large to fit into those fittings?? I've tried several times to install one on that cable but when I try to push it on, it only goes in less than 1/4" then winds up pushing the outer jacket back as well leaving nothing to crimp to??

That cable measures .275 OD and the standard drop cable RG6 I have on a roll here only measures .253 OD so the ribbon cable RG6 is .022 larger in diameter than regular RG6 drop cable?

Anyone run into this problem before and if so, what did you do?

Thanks

Finally broke down and bought some compression connectors and the tool to replace the screw on RG6 "F" connectors I've been using for the past 16 years. Problem is the RG6 in the ribbon cable I have is TOO large to fit into those fittings?? I've tried several times to install one on that cable but when I try to push it on, it only goes in less than 1/4" then winds up pushing the outer jacket back as well leaving nothing to crimp to??

That cable measures .275 OD and the standard drop cable RG6 I have on a roll here only measures .253 OD so the ribbon cable RG6 is .022 larger in diameter than regular RG6 drop cable?

Anyone run into this problem before and if so, what did you do?

Thanks
Which compression fittings are you using? I use these fittings with cable that is .270" OD and they slip on easily.

Last edited:
Are you using quad-shield RG6 ? Unless you peel the second foil from between the two braids and prepare it right it fits too tight. Prepare the end right and they slide right on.

Are you using quad-shield RG6 ? Unless you peel the second foil from between the two braids and prepare it right it fits too tight. Prepare the end right and they slide right on.

I run into this all time time.
Make your initial strip then I remove the foil with utility knife and peel back the rest of the braid with your fingers. It may take a little wiggling to get it on

Reactions: Tecnicoloco
FTA4PA this is what I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150618638775?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT No plastic in them.

Magic I don't know what "quad shield" is as I've never "knowingly" bought any of that and have never seen any. All I know is this C/Ku band ribbon cable is what I got from the local Satellite installer guy 16 years ago when the system was moved to this new house?

The ID of the compression fittings I have are .265 and the cable OD, WITHOUT the braid pulled back over the outer insulation jacket is .275. So that cable is already .010 larger than the fitting ID to start with. The strands in the braid appear to be about .010 in diameter so you double that for the total diameter and that makes the cable OD with the braid pulled back over the outer insulation jacket .295 or so, which is .030 larger than the fitting ID? That ain't gonna fit.

Dunno, I've been using those "screw on" fittings for 16 years and never had much of a problem with this before. Those are a little snug going over that ribbon coax but I've always been able to get them on and they've worked fine. Maybe I'll just keep using those for that cable and use the compression fittings for the regular RG6 off the spool I have.

Tri-shielded RG6 connectors?
I don't believe I have heard of that up till now... maybe won't work for Quad shielded cables.

FTA4PA this is what I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150618638775?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
The ID of the compression fittings I have are .265 and the cable OD, WITHOUT the braid pulled back over the outer insulation jacket is .275. So that cable is already .010 larger than the fitting ID to start with. The strands in the braid appear to be about .010 in diameter so you double that for the total diameter and that makes the cable OD with the braid pulled back over the outer insulation jacket .295 or so, which is .030 larger than the fitting ID? That ain't gonna fit.
I just measured the connector that I mentioned above. The opening where you insert the coax is about .32" so they would probably work for you. I just opened a bag of 50 - if you would like to give them a try I could send you some. :)

PS: I use them with these tools and have no problems at all:

Datashark stripper

Klein compression tool

Last edited:
I just opened a bag of 50 - if you would like to give them a try I could send you some. :)

Yeah, that might work. If I had one to see how it fit then I'd know what it takes and could buy what I need.

I'll PM you my info.

Thanks

Got those connectors yesterday and FTA4PA sent me some pics of the cable prep. I got lucky and THIS compression tool worked fine on the ends he sent so I'm good to go now. That compression tool I have will do two different length fittings. The ones I have are short and the ones FTA4PA sent are a tad longer.

Ennywho, thanks all for the help and suggestions. It's always nice to have options.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts