Ricmond VA New to OTA

Dan in VA

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Virginia
Good afternoon, I'm new to OTA and planning for what I will need. Last time I had an antenna was 14 years and 4 states ago. It worked great but when I moved I decided to use Dish only. Now I'm just west of Richmond about 2 miles or so from the major network antennas. I plan to install in an attic with a fairly about 30+ feet up, cement board siding, and an asphalt roof. I have coax running into a nearby room that I would like to tap into and feed to my distribution block.

I'm looking for advice on antenna type and if I need a preamp. Not knowing much about antennas I've looked at a few DIYs that I thought would be fun to try and build, but then I remembered I have two kids under 3 and not much spare time ;). I've been looking at two types but open to all suggestions. The two types are: RCA ANT751 and Terrestrial Digital DB8 Multi-Directional 'Bowtie'.

Thank you

Here is my report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e1c6f0e6ced69d

OTA.JPG

Good afternoon, I'm new to OTA and planning for what I will need. Last time I had an antenna was 14 years and 4 states ago. It worked great but when I moved I decided to use Dish only. Now I'm just west of Richmond about 2 miles or so from the major network antennas. I plan to install in an attic with a fairly about 30+ feet up, cement board siding, and an asphalt roof. I have coax running into a nearby room that I would like to tap into and feed to my distribution block.

I'm looking for advice on antenna type and if I need a preamp. Not knowing much about antennas I've looked at a few DIYs that I thought would be fun to try and build, but then I remembered I have two kids under 3 and not much spare time ;). I've been looking at two types but open to all suggestions. The two types are: RCA ANT751 and Terrestrial Digital DB8 Multi-Directional 'Bowtie'.

Thank you

Here is my report http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e1c6f0e6ced69d

View attachment 98780
Thank you for the TVfool. YOU DON"T NEED A PREAMP tvfool shows broadcasters at 1.1 mile away from you. Your problem could be too much signal. If there is a strong broadcast signal it can bounce off buildings and arrive at your antenna out of phase with the main signal cancelling out the stations reception. You have about 18 stations listed as LOS line of sight so you have a good chance of receiving them.

Try a winegard HD1080 for both UHF & VHF reception in your attic. You have two concentrations of broadcasters one at 192* and another at 312* aim the front of the antenna at the more distant stations the "LOCAL" broadcaster are going to be so strong they will come in no matter where the antenna is aimed.

Reactions: Dan in VA
Might want to check that link.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

I'm getting a Google animation on my iPhone.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

From what I've read at digitalhome about it,it's a winner.
I'm building one, and most around here are 40 miles+. will let everyone here know how it works. For the price, which can be only a few dollars, seems like a no-brainer.

If someone has time can you explain the difference between the types of antennas? I posted two, one other was recommended, as well as a DIY. Is there a post already that I could be pointed to that explains what type works in certain scenarios?

Finally built one, went back and forth on either a Stealth Hawk or a M4 design and I'm glad I went with Fat Air's recommendation. I'm getting all my locals as well as few stations that are a few hours drive away. This was from inside just next to the TV and on the 2nd floor. When I move it to the 3rd floor it should be even better.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 206
Cool to hear it's working. I built one also. Get's a VHF hi (rf channel 8) as shown* at around 45 miles.
Got to try it out 'in the clear' for a couple of UHF channels near 65 miles.
GEDC0879.jpg

* 10 ft off the ground in amidst the trees and structures.

Your bends look nice, did you make a jig? I'm going to make another one for the attic and I'd like to see if I can make it a little nicer. I put this one behind my TV on the first floor that is still connected to DISH and it is working great there as well. I'm surprised since that part of the house is under a copper roof.

I'm really curious to know what specific stations you're receiving. :) I always love hearing about people's successes!

- Trip

bends look nice, did you make a jig?
Nope, used a bench vise and hammer. (3/4 inch strap aluminum used)
If it's in the attic, who cares what it looks like, only important 'item' is how it looks on the TV screen. :)

I'm really curious to know what specific stations you're receiving. :) I always love hearing about people's successes!

- Trip
I moved it to the first level so it's a bit less right now but here they are
12-1,2
19-1,3
8-1,2
6-1,2,3
35-1,2
23-1,2,3
57-1
45-1
65-1,2
Nope, used a bench vise and hammer. (3/4 inch strap aluminum used)
If it's in the attic, who cares what it looks like, only important 'item' is how it looks on the TV screen. :)

Oh I know it's just the way I am. I did put my copper wire in the vice and the other end in my drill to get it nice and straight.

My daughter wanted to help out with the new one. Hung it up in the attic and used some old very thin and flat twin wire to get it where I needed so I can split it and run it throughout the house. Only two TVs attached so far but all the locals are coming in, just not the distant ones. I need to get some ends for RG6 so I can wire it up right.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 186
If the 300 ohm flat lead is working you might want to leave it there, just not connected to the antenna. Flat lead will work as an antenna so what you are picking up for locals could come in on just the flat lead. Disconnect the flatlead from the antenna and twist the bare wires together to see what it is receiving.

Turned off the Hopper today and all I can say is thank you! This thread got be started and made it so simple to 'cut the cord. '

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)