right angle coax connector wall plate??

rerod

Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
Thanks to the suggestions given here Iv pulled coax through some tight areas of my 70's home concealed in insulated walls & chases. Thanks guys..

The walls are 4" and I snaked coax from the top plate. Between the poly vapor barrier and the drywall to prevent disturbing the unfaced insulation. Its a very narrow area with some give. But in order to install a "old work" electrical box. I would have to cut the vapor barrier and remove all but 1/2" of insulation of this outside wall. I wont bore you with how bad this can be as far a moisture infiltration and frost problems. So I will just ask.. It there are wall plate which recieves right angled coax connectors so I dont have to cut the poly? A connector wall plate kit for a narrow wall?

Thanks

Yea the 90 Degree F-connector adaptor will do the trick if your only pulling 1 coax to the plate.

In the case of my house we have spray polyetheline foam insulation and I had to dig it all out back to the plywood sheething so there would be enough room for 4 coax cables and 3 category 5's

You could just cut out the vapor barrior, remove the insulation around the plate and I think they have a special red tape to seal it back up.

The problem with Cable wiring is that you need a little more room behind the plate than you would with standard electrical wiring to make the appropiate bend for the wire to get to the plate. Its like my house its taking me about an hour per plate by the time I punch down the Cat5, Terminate the coax, install a box extender and fight with the decora insert plates to make it fit properly...

Attachments

• IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 876
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!

Exactly!

Claude: Very clean installation you did there. But why only one coax? Couldn't you you just angle the 90 degree fitting a bit to miss the other coax in its way? Like on yours, the top two would go straight up and the bottom two would be angled a bit left and right to run up right next to the top two? And where did you pick up that wall plate kit?

Problem with removing vapor barrier and insulation on a outside wall is that condensation in summer and frost in the winter can lead to wood rot and wet corroded connections. I have stains around a wall plate where no box was used. The wall cavity must be sealed and insulated to prevent this. Caulking where wires enter a box and where the box meets poly and drywall is important. Or don't mess with the poly and insulation like I'm trying to do.

Mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts