RIP Dr. Gene Scott

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050222/latu091_1.html

LOS ANGELES -- Gene Scott, the shaggy-haired, cigar-smoking
televangelist whose eccentric religious broadcasts were beamed around
the world, has died. He was 75.

Scott died Monday after suffering a stroke, family spokesman Robert
Emmers said.

For three decades, Scott was pastor of Los Angeles University
Cathedral, a Protestant congregation of more than 15,000 members
housed in a landmark downtown building.

In the mid-1970s, Scott began hosting a nightly live television
broadcast of Bible teaching. His nightly talk show and Sunday morning
church services were aired on radio and television stations to about
180 countries around the world by his University Network.

In some of his speeches, he would use chalkboards covered with Greek
and Hebrew and deliver complex lectures on the Biblical languages to
make points about the meaning of faith.

"It's a college-level classroom in the Bible," he once said.

Scott did take stands on other controversial subjects, including the
war in Iraq, which he supported.

"Iraq is a threat to the world," he said in a 2003 Web address. "So
kick the hell out of 'em, George."

Scott was most recognizable by his mane of white hair and scruffy
beard. He also never stuck to a conventional format for his show - he
once wore glasses with eyes pasted on them and sometimes smoked on the
show. On his Web site, he simply said about himself, "What you see is
what you get."

Scott also was a philanthropist. He was involved with Rebuild LA, the
Richard Pryor Burn Foundation and the Southwest Museum. In 2002, Scott
gave $20,000 that helped save Museum in Black, which has some 5,000
items from the slave and civil rights eras, from eviction.

Born in Idaho in 1929, Scott later moved to Northern California and
earned a doctorate in philosophies of education from Stanford
University in 1957, according to his Web site. He was the author of
more than 20 books and also was a painter.

Scott is survived by his wife, Melissa.

Services were pending.

damn.....

Occasionally I scan through and watch his show on IA6. You can see him get older as the day goes on :)

Dr. Scott was no stranger to the world of Satellite Television most C Band installers used Doc Scott to find the arc.

Here in my area Doc Scott was a legend, he purchased WHCT channel 18 most of the day was color bars, but at 6pm the Bozo the Clown show came on, after Bozo it was the good Doc, who often sat in his chair smoking a cigar and yelling Get on the telephone.... Then scenes were shown of the Docs horses and scenes throughout America while songs like The Neutron Dance played in the backround.

Watching the Docs feed on his website there is a lady I believe it is his daughter or wife in Docs chair playing the role in Doc saying get on the Telephone. It looks like a loop, with the same song Kust a closer walk with thee playing in the backround. http://www.drgenescott.com/listen-live.htm

I remember after Doc Scott got in trouble with the FCC for reporting the amount of money WHCT earned so Doc Scott got back at the FCC by having a group of toy monkeys running around and he called the moneys FCC comissioners. This folks was great television.

Farewell Doc, you will be missed.

Kind of Sad, the doc was always

Sad day right enough, his wife was just on air right now on The University Network.

.RIP.

Scott Greczkowski said:
after Bozo it was the good Doc, who often sat in his chair smoking a cigar and yelling Get on the telephone.... Then scenes were shown of the Docs horses and scenes throughout America while songs like The Neutron Dance played in the backround.

I still seem huim doing that :) smoking the cigar. Regular glasses over his sunglasees. :D
Farewell Doc, you will be missed.

yes he will be. Hopefully they keep the channel going.

Pete it looks like it is on a loop.

Its his wife breaking the bad news then it plays video of the Cathederal playing the song Just a Closer Walk with Thee, then it repeats.

I never knew the Doc was married, as of late you always saw the Doc hanging out at Horse shows with Playboy playmates.

How sad, but nothing lasts forever and we all die. I liked his 'tell it like it is' atitude and his research was very excellent. Someone told me this morning he produced enough material that he could be aired for 17 years without a repeat.

I believe it.

I wonder if there is any count how many time the Neutron Dance was played by the Doc.

Doc had a lot of political pull as well. I remember one time Doc Scott had Colin Powell give a sermon.

I have heard that getting to go to the cathederal and see the good doc was harder then getting to meet the President of the United States. I understand they had REALLY strict security for first time visitors.

Man so many thoughts of Doc Scott going on in my head. He was very unique and he loved Satellite Technology.

Thanks again Doc.

Wow. I remember watching him on late night TV in the 80s and early 90s...

R.I.P., Doc...

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dr. Scott was no stranger to the world of Satellite Television most C Band installers used Doc Scott to find the arc.

Yep. In 1988, when I got c-band, Dr Gene was on Westar 5 on Tr 7 I think. I remember the installer looking for this channel during the installing. The motor didn't work the 1st night, all I could watch was what was on Westar 5 until the next day. I got hooked on him. I would watch him sometimes throughout the years even though he's on locally at night too I think on channel 56.

Ahh I found these photos. :)

Memories. :D

Even got a pic of Doc and the FCC Monkeys

Attachments

• doc13.jpg
    doc13.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 199
  • monkey.jpg
    monkey.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 172
This man used to BE channel 18 of Hartford in the 1980s. Religious or not, he was always fun to watch. I still remember those nights when all you'd see on the air was his empty chair, for an hour or more at a time.

"GIT on the Telephone!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts