RIP old satellite equipment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Because today is the last day of 2010 as well as trash day, I decided to make a fresh start tomorrow by getting rid of several pieces of outdated analog equipment in order to make more room in our basement and garage.

Below is a list of equipment that has been thrown onto the sanitation truck just a few minutes ago. I can hear the sound of taps playing in the background.

• Houston Tracker V analog receiver (worked, but only analog)
  • Houston Tracker VIII analog receiver (would power off after a few minutes)
  • Channel Master 2400 analog receiver (no remote)
  • Channel Master 2500 analog receiver (no remote)
  • Philips 13" analog color TV (worked, but no remote and had no video inputs)
  • 18" Directv dish (was rusted along edges and I have several others)
  • Viewcast digital FTA receiver (manual entry, only video output)
  • Generic digital FTA receiver (no remote, very basic)
  • Samsung old model DVD/CD player (produced egg shaped faces on people and only had video ouput)

Now I will start the new year (2011) having additional room for newer digital equipment.

Wise move.
Nothing there made me want to come rescue it.

I should follow your lead.
Even have the empty boxes some of mine came in! ;)

I've been tossing out some old gear too. In my city the garbage guys won't pick up electronics, they have to be taken to an electronics recycling drop site. There are quite a few available, and as a matter of fact, they are competitive. The Salvation Army is one of the local depots, because they get money from it. There is money to be made in the electronics recycling business here. I dropped off a whack of old electronics at the Sally Ann, and I've got more to go too. When it comes to old metal dishes, I just put them out to the curb, and the guys who go around scrounging for metal usually have it scooped up within 2 hours.

In my city the garbage guys won't pick up electronics, they have to be taken to an electronics recycling drop site.

In the nearby Erie recycle center they now charge you for dropping off recyclable electronics. Old electronics are still accepted with regular trash pickup thank goodness! A couple of years ago my brother cleaned out his barn and hauled in over 80 crt monitors!!! He never knew that there were so many monitors in his barn plus he disposed of a lot of other obsolete electronic items. The program was free back then but what would it of cost to rid of those at the 50 cents a pound current rate!!!... :eek:

Now I will start the new year (2011) having additional room for newer digital equipment.

Yeah I think that is a good idea for a lot of us satellite "junkies"! :eek:

Let me know if you ever are getting rid of something halfway decent. I am only a couple of hours away from you at the most and I enjoy some "dumsta divin' " once in a while!! ;)

It would still be a worthwhile visit even if my wife will not let me bring anything more home! :)

How dare you throw away working electronics...and free to air stuff to boot! I demand you turn in your FTA card ;)

Now just screwing with ya. I've been doing that for about a month now. I luck out and as long as its in pieces the garbage man will take them. So that 13" TV & 19" TV that folks gave me that barely worked and 52" big screen that died this past week after gutting them the garbage man has taken them with no issues :)

I've got some old analog receivers and a couple old D* boxes that I should throw too

Wise move.
Nothing there made me want to come rescue it.

I should follow your lead.
Even have the empty boxes some of mine came in! ;)

Exactly! When you think about it what good is an old analog satellite receiver that contains a videocipher decoder. Only a small number of analog channels remain and those will probably go away in 2011. These older analog receivers don't even sell on Ebay and their weight causes the shipping to be too high. I kept the videocipher II modules, manuals and remote controls. I can probably sell these items on Ebay someday and they don't take up too much space.

Yeah I think that is a good idea for a lot of us satellite "junkies"! :eek:

Let me know if you ever are getting rid of something halfway decent. I am only a couple of hours away from you at the most and I enjoy some "dumsta divin' " once in a while!! ;)

It would still be a worthwhile visit even if my wife will not let me bring anything more home! :)

The company I work for is now doing business with AccuSpec in Erie, PA. Being a Test Engineer I will be traveling there several times a year starting in 2011. If I ever want to get rid of something better I will let you know and we can meet during one of my visits to Erie.

I've got some old analog receivers and a couple old D* boxes that I should throw too

I've noticed that nobody wants old DirecTV and Dish Network receivers on EBay that are not HD or DVR models.

At one time I had well over 60 analog receivers and roughly 20 digital receivers.

As far as old 13" TV's are concerned I have several small lightweight 7" to 10" LCD monitors that I use to adjust my satellite dishes and OTA antennas. I purchased several "as-is" DVD player and two headrest monitor packages on EBay for as low as $2 plus shipping. Then I simply toss the DVD player and use the two LCD monitors along with my FTA satellite receivers for dish adjustments. They work great and often have more video inputs than old analog 13" TV's.

I find it amazing how new receivers such as the Openbox S9 are so small, but receive so many more channels (DVB-S2, HD, etc) and have many more features then older receivers.

I work in an auto-salvage yard so about once every 6 months I load up my truck with unused electronics and old satellite stuff and dispose of it into junk cars, when the crusher comes the cars are flattend and trucked away to be ground up and shipped to China to be melted down into new steal. I dispose of my old tires by putting them out for the garbage truck being sure to put a cold beer in each tire, he hasn't refused a tire yet.

well cleaned out the basement and threw away
-the rest of that 52" big screen...now to chop up the cabinet
-the old Toshiba analog receiver
-a couple old VCR's (no remotes..no clue if they worked)
-a rusted old Sony 18" dish....with the stock LNB that cant be replaced
-a old D300 that was bent to heck
-one of my DVD recorders/hard drives. The DVD recorder died so I took the hard drive out (that had stuff on it) and put it in the other unit (that was blank but the DVD recorder works)

Thank god I live in a townhouse complex where some of my neighbors are single folks. Gonna fill up their garbage cans too :)

well cleaned out the basement and threw away
-the rest of that 52" big screen...now to chop up the cabinet
-the old Toshiba analog receiver
-a couple old VCR's (no remotes..no clue if they worked)
-a rusted old Sony 18" dish....with the stock LNB that cant be replaced
-a old D300 that was bent to heck
-one of my DVD recorders/hard drives. The DVD recorder died so I took the hard drive out (that had stuff on it) and put it in the other unit (that was blank but the DVD recorder works)

Thank god I live in a townhouse complex where some of my neighbors are single folks. Gonna fill up their garbage cans too :)

Good job Tony.

We recycled 3 gaylord bins (3500 pounds) of MPEG 2 receivers, motors, dishes, cables and misc parts last week from our warehouse. :eek:

This was really hard for me to do as I am basically a collector and have traditionally stored anything electronic for future needs, but on the bright side..... freed up 8 pallet positions and got some tax write-offs! :D

We recycled 3 gaylord bins (3500 pounds) of MPEG 2 receivers, motors, dishes, cables and misc parts last week from our warehouse. :eek:

This was really hard for me to do as I am basically a collector and have traditionally stored anything electronic for future needs, but on the bright side..... freed up 8 pallet positions and got some tax write-offs! :D

Was this all new stuff???!!!... :shocked :shocked :shocked...

I'm a dumpster diver. This thread is really depressing! :eek: ;)

most of what I've seen here is really junk. The only thing I threw that **might** not be junk was the Toshiba analog receiver. Ever since the syndicated stuff went from analog to digital on G16 C-Band the receiver isnt needed :)

....................The only thing I threw that **might** not be junk was the Toshiba analog receiver........................

It'll be a frigid day in Hades before I pitch my old Toshiba 1820, I think I gave $700 when it was new in 1995, and it is still (very accurately) moving my battle-scarred 10' Perfect 10 mesh BUD, and flipping the Polarotor. ;)

But now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure my wife has a BUNCH of "stuff" that needs to be pitched (I need more space for electronics and music gear)! :D

Ever since the syndicated stuff went from analog to digital on G16 C-Band the receiver isnt needed :)

This is why I got rid of my analog receivers as well. I still have several Drake, Toshiba, Drake, Uniden and other brand analog receivers left that might find their way to the curb next Friday.

But now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure my wife has a BUNCH of "stuff" that needs to be pitched (I need more space for electronics and music gear)! :D

My wife threw out a full large trash bag of old shoes on the same day I got rid of some satellite equipment.

If we all lived closer the bins would have been empty and you could have still have had your tax write-offs. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts