Road Runner/ Dishnetwork Frequencies

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I am curious what frequencies are used by Road Runner services provided by Time Warner. I have a few customers who are subscribers to Road Runner internet, and also Dish Network television. I need to run both services on the same line. I'm currently using a commercial grade diplexor (5-2300 MHz). The Dish Network (Dish Pro) data is traveling via the 'sat' port and the Road Runner is using the 'antenna' port. The Dishnetwork works great, but the transfer rates on the Road Runner internet PLUMMET to that of dial-up services.

Does anyone know what frequencies are used by Road Runner internet?

Or, any ideas on potential solutions (besides running another line)?

I can't remember the EXACT frequency...but I do remember it being awfully close to 700 MHz. Keep in mind, this was for the Akron/Canton area, so it may vary for different areas.

My theory as to reduced transfer rates may have to do with your diplexor. The diplexor you're using may be knocking the signal strength waaaay down. *knock on wood* I haven't noticed any issues using the "blue" Hollands.

Is there such a thing as a "two-way" diplexor, Scott? Perhaps these '"blue" Hollands.' webbydude is referring too... I'll look into those.

Do note: When I unhook the Dish Network reciever completly from the coax, the internet returns to FULL bandwidth. So right now, I've got the same setup (two diplexors in-line) and the internet is at full capacity (without a reciever on the 'sat' port of the second diplexor). Which leads me to believe it may have little or nothing to do with the diplexors themselves (?).

Last edited:
If it wasn't two-way, the Roadrunner service wouldn't work AT ALL. How would the cable modem get an IP if it's request for one doesn't make it past the diplexor ?

Wow. Thanks for your insight there Oljim. Perhaps the customer is DESPERATE for an alternative for to his over-priced cable channels and doesn't have a phone line (because he always uses his cell phone) so DSL isn't an option. Perhaps he MUST keep Road Runner and he HATES the prices of cable. Perhaps his landlord refuses to allow any cables run anywhere to the junction because the entire attic is finished on all 6 sides of the junction room (he lives in a very high end appartment). Perhaps this is the ONLY option for this customer, and I'm bending over BACKWARDS to accomodate his desires.

Perhaps you should keep your mouth SHUT unless you can address the TOPIC instead of FLAMING. Perhaps.

Seriously, where do people like Oljim come from? It's like they were born to hate satellite installers.

Back on topic: The cable is RG59. I may try an RG6 dummy run from the DP34 to the reciever/cable modem to see if the cable type affects the bandwidth. ...not that it's possible to replace the RG59, but it would be good to know at least.

webbydude said:
I can't remember the EXACT frequency...but I do remember it being awfully close to 700 MHz. Keep in mind, this was for the Akron/Canton area, so it may vary for different areas.....
WD and others - Roadrunner has to be in the upstream pass band of the cable system in question. I believe the cable equipment installed in most of the US uses a 42/54 MHz split, meaning RR must be carried in the band below 42MHz. Some international splits are like 85/105, but nothing close to 700MHz...

Have you tried a simple splitter/combiner (rated for 2.5GHz) for this? You'd still have 3dB x 2 loss but that might be less than what you're getting with the diplexers in this installation...

Last edited:
My point is before you install a dish, look at how and if you can get a NEW run of RG-6 from dish to location of Sat rec.
If that is not possible tell the customer why and how you will try some substandard way of doing it

oljim said:
My point is before you install a dish, look at how and if you can get a NEW run of RG-6 from dish to location of Sat rec.
If that is not possible tell the customer why and how you will try some substandard way of doing it

Oh, I'm sure the OP hasn't communicated anything to the customer about the difficulties of installation with this configuration and situation. :rolleyes:

Please try to keep on topic.

ZandarKoad said:
Does anyone know what frequencies are used by Road Runner internet?

What type of cable modem do they use in your area ???
From a customers computer try entering 192.168.100.1 in the web browser, that takes you to the cable modem diagnostics info. Somewhere in there they usually have the upstream and downstram channel or frequency listed.

Ok Zander, I found the *ahem* "blue" Hollands I was referring to. The seem to work pretty well with most of my customers here in NE Ohio. But keep in mind, I haven't ran the risk of using the RG-59/RR/Dish combo...all on the same line. Yeeesh!! I'm guessing your options are totally limited here.

Scott's post about diplexers not being two-way has me a bit leery now. LOL *knock on wood* I haven't had any call backs and/or chargebacks using these....yet!

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOLLAND-SATELLI...ryZ32840QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bhelms said:
Have you tried a simple splitter/combiner (rated for 2.5GHz) for this? You'd still have 3dB x 2 loss but that might be less than what you're getting with the diplexers in this installation...

You know, I've never though of using a simple 2.5 GHz splitter/combiner combo (power pass of course) for a satellite line in. I just assumed they wouldn't work because 'Diplexors' exist. I know the RR would work fine... but I'm not so sure about the Dishnetwork.

DANG, I really would love to get my hands on a good book on these topics.

Who has what rights to what frequency ranges?
What frequencies do the various devices allow or disallow?
What the power pass ratings on the various devices?
etc

Oh, and one more thing

Hey webbydude, I just happen to be one of these 'customers' that's in such a situation, btw! lol

So I'm doing alot of my testing here at my appartment on the crappy RG59 before I go out try this stuff in the field. I HAVE done this in the past, but I do believe it was all on RG6. And I have never gotten call backs either... I'm trying to work out all the bugs here before I try to offer this to other people in my complex (40 units). Not that very many of them will have RR and want Dishnet too, but you never know.

Heck, I've run the following on a SINGLE RG6 line before:

A DPP Dishnetwork feed into a dual tuner.
TWO backfeed channels (set to different channel numbers of course).
Road Runner Internet.
A UHF antenna extension signal to upstairs to allow the UHF remote to work better.

I had I think two sets of splitters/combiners, a diplexor, and a DPP seperator if I remember correctly, all branching off one line. :D And it worked great! Whenever I do stuff like that I make sure to use the highest quality commercial grade splitters/diplexors that I have access to, just in case.

LOL!! Too funny about mingling/mixing backfeeds. Had a similar situation today...minus the UHF extension...but had to add a cable signal since the customer wanted to keep it for his locals.

Granted, it looked like hell. What with all the diplexing and splitters. Thankfully, the entertainment center(s) where the 322 and 625 were at, kept that "mess" pretty well contained.

RR runs at 33 mhz up and 711mhz downstream. why not run the TWC drop directly to the line for the rr. it probably isnt a good idea to go through the dish stuff because of compatability issues

cable-guy said:
RR runs at 33 mhz up and 711mhz downstream. why not run the TWC drop directly to the line for the rr. it probably isnt a good idea to go through the dish stuff because of compatability issues

Those frequencies are for your specific system. Not all TWC systems run RR on those frequencies. Mine is 35 to 55mhz ranged on return and 651 down. Another one I have seen uses 621 down. Not huge differences there, but 711 to 651 certainly is in this case.

Also, remember, the OP I believe is trying to do this in an apt where running an additional line may in rare cases not be an option. I have seen that plenty of times. Sure, running a dedicated line would solve the problem, but then we would not be discussing this, would we? : )

cable internet/ dishnetwork

i have my cable modem ran from the cable on the phone pole, and D ran grom the dish to the reciever, 2 differant installs, no problems.

Well, since cobra necro'ed this, I may as well throw in an update:

I tried my little trick with time warner PHONE service, and it would NOT work. No clue really. It just wouldn't work. Pissed me off big time, but I just ran another cable. Customer was gonna drop Time Warner phone in like a week, but they couldn't be without a phone for that long. Understandable.

Whenever I do this, I always make sure all systems are running before I take off. And most of the time, the customer is going to drop RR or their TimeWarner Phone shortly as well (alot of Dishnetwork customers who have high speed internet go with the AT&T package w/DSL).

Hello guys, this is all good info. My question to this is i want to run tv2 out from a Dishnet dual recv to mirror to another room, but i also want to use a diplexor so that way i can run my Road Runner to the same room. Now i called Time Warrner asking them about what frequency RR passed threw the cable but they didn't give me a straight answer. in the end all i would need to know, can this be done successfully with out running into problems, saying everything else is doing what its suppost to do?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)