Roaming charges to be abolished in EU?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Thinking about doing something in the mobile industry that benefits actually consumers first, not corporations?

How about dropping roaming charges? The European Union is discussing to do just that!
Mobile roaming charges within EU should end, official says | Science & Technology | Deutsche Welle | 23.09.2010
Europe wants to end roaming charges - The Inquirer
"I think we can all agree that such pricing examples bear little relation to the true cost of supplying the service.
I want the gap between roaming and domestic prices to approach zero, and the sooner, the better."
An idea somewhere between refreshing and heretical from a North American POV...:)

Diogen.

From the above referred article

"European Union residents have long complained about exorbitant fees on their cell phone bills while roaming in other EU countries"

Indeed it does make a lot of sense especially considering that traveling shorter distances than here in North America you are bound to roam into other countries constantly.
I was living in Europe in a town where I could go and have dinner in another country by just crossing a lake by boat (short 20 minute ride), people would cross for shopping or working, etc.

Them and us use different definitions of exorbitant...:)

If roaming charges while using a Bremen phone in Berlin or Paris are exorbitant,
then the same charges for a Winnipeg phone used in Seattle are a good reason for a heart attack...

And I'm not even talking about network quality.

Diogen.

Verizon CEO on iPhone and tiered pricing

Rumor: Don't be looking for an iphone on Verizon anytime soon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)