Roku, Apple TV and Chromecast: Which one streams the best?

I have a Roku and an Apple TV. I personally like the Apple TV better but I would say they are equal in streaming quality. Apple TV has a better user interface in my opinion and Roku has way more channels.

On my Apple TV I frequently use iTunes rentals, Netflix, HBO Go, MLB.tv, iTunes Radio, and I stream music and video to my TV from my iPhone or iPad on a daily basis via airplay. It works great with the Dish anywhere app.

The Roku has all those channels except for the iTunes and airplay stuff as well as countless others that aren't offered on Apple TV. The most notable addition missing from Apple TV to me is Amazon Instant.

Roku has hundreds of choices but most of them aren't stuff I would ever use. Apple TV keeps adding stuff but the Roku channel list continues to dwarf theirs. If you are a hulu, Netflix and PPV renter either device is fine. The same is true for all the major sports streaming options. If you want more than that get a Roku.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use my Apple TV all the time, I do not use my Roku very often. I used to use the Roku all the time to watch Amazon VOD, but now I can bring it up on my iPhone/iPad and watch it on the Apple TV with airplay.

I just bought the WDTV Live. Was cheap at $69.

Quality is excellent for Netflix, Vudu and Vudu 3D HDX, You Tube and YT 3D, Haven't tried Amazon prime yet but it's on there.

It set up fast, and easy. So far I have no complaints.

I have a Roku 2XS. I chose it because of good things I heard about it. I have it hard wired and performance is very good. I chose it over Apple TV due to cost and availability concerns. I'm not anti-Apple (indeed I have an iPhone, iPad & AirPort Extreme) but I tend to think they're over priced. And WAY more material is available on the Roku platform. WAY more, including "private" channels.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have 3 of the wdtv live and 2 of the wdtv live hubs, a roku and had a chromecast. Gave the Chromecast to my nephews to cast youtube and hulu plus from their phones and tablets, the Roku never gets used other than for HBOgo occasionally and EbruTV at the lake house. I use the wdtv's for everything, Sling from my Slingbox 350, Hulu Plus, youtube, dvd and bluray rips from my collection that are saved on my NAS, tv recordings from my Silicon Dust HD OTA tuners, recordings I have from australia, uk, irish and canadian tv. They are missing a few things like HBOgo, Amazon, Watch espn, but they are the go to, do almost everything box for me.

I just bought the WDTV Live. Was cheap at $69.

Quality is excellent for Netflix, Vudu and Vudu 3D HDX, You Tube and YT 3D, Haven't tried Amazon prime yet but it's on there.

It set up fast, and easy. So far I have no complaints.

Are you sure? I don't think Amazon is on the wdtv platform, unless it was added in last weeks firmware update and I didn't notice it.

I have a Roku 2XS. I chose it because of good things I heard about it. I have it hard wired and performance is very good. I chose it over Apple TV due to cost and availability concerns. I'm not anti-Apple (indeed I have an iPhone, iPad & AirPort Extreme) but I tend to think they're over priced. And WAY more material is available on the Roku platform. WAY more, including "private" channels.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

When I bought my Apple TV the Roku 2XS was the same price so that wasn't a factor for me. Both devices were $99. I got the lower priced Roku 2XD from dish so I have both streaming devices but when it was time for me to buy a 2nd streaming device I wanted something with an ethernet port. The $99 XS was the only Roku that fit that description at the time so I went with the Apple TV.

Roku has released some lower priced models since then. I have seen the newest LT for as low as $39. I have even seen the current top of the line Roku 3 for about $70. The Apple TV only has one available model and they don't discount it often. Last week I saw a $10 off add for best buy at $89 but that us the lowest I have ever seen it.

Are you sure? I don't think Amazon is on the wdtv platform, unless it was added in last weeks firmware update and I didn't notice it.

I might be mistaken. Maybe it was Hulu I was thinking for the direct app. Anyway, I am also looking into the playon addition. This would allow me to view any video available on a PC to the Home theater TV via the WDTV Live. It also has a DVR feature and allows moving the programs to my ipad for off line viewing. Cost is $49.99 for Live plus Play later. I wonder if anyone is using this? www.playon.tv

I might be mistaken. Maybe it was Hulu I was thinking for the direct app. Anyway, I am also looking into the playon addition. This would allow me to view any video available on a PC to the Home theater TV via the WDTV Live. It also has a DVR feature and allows moving the programs to my ipad for off line viewing. Cost is $49.99 for Live plus Play later. I wonder if anyone is using this? www.playon.tv

I've heard some other members talk about it. I started looking into it when I say it was it added to the wdtv, but I don't know enough about it yet.

I have the Roku 2 XD. I enjoy VEVO, Smithsonian Channel, and all the news channels as it gives me different perspectives on news. Am going to sign up for Netflix soon. Pandora is incredible. Never really had the need to get an Apple TV or Chromecast, even though I use gmail and have Chrome installed on my laptop.--Andy

The thing I like best about Apple TV is that it has internal storage and will cache for trick play. This works for things you buy on iTunes or youtube.

I signed up for a life time subscription to play on a year or so ago. Have not been very impressed with the PQ or the number of channels that actually work.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts