Roku decides to ruin pausing

As the link says, it is tech for a Roku TV-

But, if you plug in an Xbox or DVD player into the HDMI port on a Roku TV, you bypass the company’s screensaver and other ads. And so, Roku has been figuring out a way to not let that happen.

So, easily handled, just do not buy a Roku TV, but, my guess is, all the TV Manufacturers will try and do the same if, they believe, it will increase revenue.

Reactions: dhpeeple1
Someone else tried that years ago, when you paused the program, maybe it was when you FF'd , they inserted an ad ...
It didn't last very long.

Someone else tried that years ago, when you paused the program, maybe it was when you FF'd , they inserted an ad ...
It didn't last very long.
I remember when DirecTV prevented me from Fast Forwarding certain shows. I can't remember if it was a bug or intentional.

I remember when DirecTV prevented me from Fast Forwarding certain shows. I can't remember if it was a bug or intentional.
On-Demand or DVR?

I really hate that Roku is planning to do this, but we still unfortunately need to have alternative streaming platforms available, and having a Roku TV just saved me when my wife was trying to watch Paramount+ when the app wouldn't launch on the kitchen ATV4K for no apparent reason. As for why I have a Roku TV at all, the answer is I struggled to find a small (24-27") TV that fit in the space we had available that would work well with a soundbar and the ATV4K. Roku's advertising is so much less intrusive than Google/Amazon that I actually don't mind it. However, adding ads to paused external devices is pretty shady since they are monitoring what you are watching when not on their platform. Coupled with the recent bricking of devices until you agree to their new Ts&Cs, it isn't a good look in my view.

Maybe they're just gaining enough market share to start turning screws. It seems like roku's built into all of the smaller sets

Maybe they're just gaining enough market share to start turning screws. It seems like roku's built into all of the smaller sets
I think the Rokus may be built into the - Not High End - sets.

I haven't seen them in the Top of the Line sets, I doubt that you will.

In all this would just diminish thier portable boxes.

Why can’t they pull the same stunt on their STBs? Make me appreciate my Fire Stick more.

Why can’t they pull the same stunt on their STBs? Make me appreciate my Fire Stick more.
Read the article, it was about plugging game systems into the HDMI input port of a Roku TV.

Rokus, like the Fire and any other mainstream device have no inputs, only outputs.

Also might be defeated by using a Receiver/Processor , plug all your sources into it first, then out to the TV.

Read the article, it was about plugging game systems into the HDMI input port of a Roku TV.

Rokus, like the Fire and any other mainstream device have no inputs, only outputs.

Also might be defeated by using a Receiver/Processor , plug all your sources into it first, then out to the TV.

Why not download limited commercials onto the stick (limited, I know) or monitor if the programming is still being fed to detect pauses. I don’t see a big difference, save RAM.