ROKU STICK OR FIRE STICK

Spend the money, get the Nvidia Sheild Pro
While still working, it is starting to show it’s age, last time they released a new model was in 2019, so in 2024, that is 5 years, a eternity for today’s electronics.

Hopefully a new model comes soon, we know a new Roku Ultra will be released ( already in testing) with upgraded video, Amazon releases a new Fire unit every year, Apple will probably be next year.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My Fire Stick UHD (or whatever it’s called) is plugged into my Sony smart TV, which is in turn plugged into my HT AVR.

I power up the Fire Stick and it powers up and connects to the other two. Pretty reliably.

So Navy chop I'm assuming that if your TV is hooked into the AVR like mine is then you can hook the fire stick into the tv and still get all the surround modes with the video?
First you have to make sure the TV input will take the 4K signal.

For example, my Sony Z9K has 4 inputs, but one is used for ARC/CEC Control ( what Navychop is posting about), one input will take a 4K/HDR signal, but not Dolby Vision, 2 more that take everything.

But I have 5 devices, 4 with Dolby Vision-4K Blu-Ray Player, Roku Ultra, XBOX X, PS5, then the Nintendo Switch.

So I run everything into my audio processor (8K Anthem 70), then one HDMI to the TV.

Before my wife passed, we did use ARC, so much easier for her to just use one remote, she never could handle multiple remotes.

So Navy chop I'm assuming that if your TV is hooked into the AVR like mine is then you can hook the fire stick into the tv and still get all the surround modes with the video?
You would have to have arc/e-arc hooked up and on. (which I never recommend). Better to plug into AV reciever with it's own input,

Yes.

But rarely get much surround sound effect, as we use the FS almost exclusively for YT.

AVR is also UHD approved.

Since it works, I see no reason to move the FS to the AVR, assuming I have an open spot anyway.

You would have to have arc/e-arc hooked up and on. (which I never recommend). Better to plug into AV reciever with it's own input,
I agree with this based on my own experience, used a Yamaha 5200 before I purchased the Anthem, since it does not take HDMI 2.1, some hooked into the TV, some into the processor, it was a PITA, but the only way the game systems would display properly( need HDMI 2.1 for all the bell and whistles).

Constant drop outs, popping in the speakers using ARC.

Straight into the processor, no issues, on either the Yamaha or Anthem.

Yes.

But rarely get much surround sound effect, as we use the FS almost exclusively for YT.

AVR is also UHD approved.

Since it works, I see no reason to move the FS to the AVR, assuming I have an open spot anyway.
I get a lot of surround activity watching regular YT, using my Roku Ultra, even on those rescue puppy videos, can hear the music playing from the rears/sides.

While still working, it is starting to show it’s age, last time they released a new model was in 2019, so in 2024, that is 5 years, a eternity for today’s electronics.

Hopefully a new model comes soon, we know a new Roku Ultra will be released ( already in testing) with upgraded video, Amazon releases a new Fire unit every year, Apple will probably be next year.
A lot of people on the Reddit group are hoping for the same thing. I use a 500GB SSD for all my apps and storage so, so far, mine is still as good as new.

There's a new device called the MeCool which has AndroidOS on it

View: https://rumble.com/v4258l2-mecool-km2-plus-deluxe-first-impressions-and-setup.html

Here's another consideration for maybe two of you:) .If you stream music and if you stream Amazon Music and if you want your Amazon Music in Atmos then you need a Firestick.On the other hand if you want Plex to support Atmos you need a Shield.But if you want a simple interface that a Harmony One controls then you need a Roku.Which is why I have all 3.(Actually I have 2 firesticks that can be played on one TV but that's another story).

If you are going to get a Firestick, which is my recommendation for the reasons already given, get it now.

The firestick is Android based and for me both of mine work very well overall. But Amazon is not using Android anymore and in the new one coming out, they are using their own operating system.
At the least don't be tester for them paying money and then having problems, wait till it has been out for awhile. No idea if it will support Dish Anywhere I am guessing not. It would mean DISH would have to develop a new app.

The good news on that, that means probably no updates to the present one that would make the Dish app not work and there are millions out there so they will be supported for sometime to come.