Roof mount any problem?

danderson101

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
I'm thinking of getting dish but will probably need it mounted on my roof. Has anyone had problems with this type of mount- leaks,etc?

There is not a single company or tech that can garuantee you that if they mount a dish to your roof that it wont leak, that being said the best way to seal a roof mount is with using pitch pads applied to the bottom of the foot plate over the four outer lag holes and the top and bottom center lag holes. It is also important for the two center lags to anchor into a rafter for the greatest structural stability wich is critical if your in an area that gets alot of wind.

Pro's its up out of the reach of your kids, the nieghbors kids, your brothers kids, your kids friends, and if you have a line of site issue and the roof and or chimney ( please have the tech try for the chimney before the roof ) then thats your other pro.

Cons, there is a possibility that it could leak, this possibility goes up drasticly if the tech doesnt seal the mount location properly ( see my description above ), if the tech doesnt fully seat the lag bolts, the dish can move if the mount location doesnt not provide adequate stability such as its not into a rafter and or the wood is rotten, its up at a location that requires the tech to leave the ladder wich can be a problem in the winter if there is snow on the roof or if the roof has a steep pitch that puts the techs personal safety in danger, it can look unsightly.

If you're worried about leaks being an issue, have them mount it on an overhang, at least then you won't have to worry about leaks being critical (they are a good idea to fix unless you like rotting out your roof - but they won't come into your house and thus won't be as urgent) ..

It's also not as big a deal if a freak accident happens and your dish rips a hole in the roof o_O DID I SAY THAT?! OMG knock on wood, heh, the chances of that happening are crazy :)