Roof mount?

Raised Grain

Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I'm a future Dish customer and I've been lurking in the background absorbing all the answers to my questions for several weeks. About roof mounting the dish though. I'm very concerned about leaks. I see a lot of them mounted on roofs so I guess that is a method to use if there is no clear line of sight but I do see some that do not have a line of sight problem. If the installer suggests a roof mount, how much can I or should I insist on a wall or facia mount before he walks off the job?

I'd suggest you deal with a local installer and tell him you want a gable mount (if that will work for you). There may be an extra charge. They will have to look over the site to ensure that you have a LOS to the satellites, but will likely do it all in one visit- if they know to bring the correct mounting gear.

I have talked to a local installer already and I asked him about the roof mount and he said there would not be a problem mounting it on the roof because he uses a rubber gasket between the mounting plate and the roof. Hmmm. Is that sufficient?

We always used pitch patch(tar patches) and never had one problem.

The roof is always the last option, keep the dishes low. But if it has to go there and is done right, it won't leak....

Commdeck makes a roof mount for attaching dish mounts and routing cables through the attic. You can hire a roofer to install it and once its in, your installer can then put his dish up.

As a local retailer, mounting on the roof is the absolute, very last option. I use the gable mount for 95% of my installs. The rest are ground mounts or on the side of the wall. I can only think of 2 or 3 times that a roof mount is the only choice to mount the dish. If a wall mount is prefable to you, I would think a retailer would jump at the job. It is much easier, no ladders to climb up and usually shorter runs for cable.

Installer had to use the roof mount for my setup because of LOS issues. Have had the system for over 8 years with no issues. While doing the install they used roofing patch (black tar) from a tube like you would see silicone for your bathroom and I have watched for leaks over the years in the attic and have not seen any sign. If I could have I would definately love for my installation to be on the ground for maintenance issues but sometimes you don't have a choice to get over trees.

I have talked to a local installer already and I asked him about the roof mount and he said there would not be a problem mounting it on the roof because he uses a rubber gasket between the mounting plate and the roof. Hmmm. Is that sufficient?
depends upon the region.....Around here 90% are roof mts....I use slicone sealant and in 10 years I have never had a roof leak...ever......I will do wall mts but not on vinyl....Brick and wood are ok..haven't had an occasion to do one on Hardyplank....MAsonite is fine as well. If the facia is made with 2X6's it's too narrow to support four corners of the mast foot so I won't use that either..

Well, it looks like a roof mount is in my future then. Vinyl siding where I want the dish and the facia is narrow. My installer has been doing this for 15 years, so I should have trusted his recommendations.

Face Mount

Here's my story. My dish (500) was mounted on the roof originally. Last year I needed a new roof (20 plus years old). I took the dish down myself along with a tripod that held an over the air antenna.
When the roofers were finished I couldn't bring myself to drill down through the new roof so I ordered a face mount from Dish Mount and mounted my dish on the upper face of the front of my house.
I must say it looks very professional and it makes me feel better after shelling out so much for a new roof.
Just to add, my dish never leaked while mounted on roof. To each his own.
Wayne

unfortunately, a lot of builders dont make the fascia very sturdy, and are not always a good option to mount anything with a wind load on it

around here there are quite a few that just stick some 1x4's on the face, wrap it with metal, and call it done. You mount to that, and it is pretty much guaranteed that either the bolts will pull out of the wood, or the 1x4 will fall off first time we get high winds

Dish 1000

I had my dish 500 mounted under the eve, but there were only 3 lag screws in it because the 2x6 wasn't wide enough. Since I was having reception issues because of drifting alignment and I was upgrading to a Dish 1000 which is even bigger (more wind resistance) the installer suggested a roof mount. I mentioned the leak issue and he said he seals the holes with silicon and assured me it wouldn't leak.

Well we recently had a hell of a blow here and 2 weeks worth of rain and no leaks. Didn't even lose the signal with 60 mph wind outside. Lost 5 sections of my fence but the dish is good to go. My roof mount is over the eve though, so if it leaks, it's not going into the attic.

Our installer slapped ours on the roof, even after we mentioned that we didn't want it on the roof. He had other viable options other than using the roof but he also seemed like he was in a hurry to begin with and went with the quickest option. Of course he also ran the wires inside of our gutter as well which makes for real fun in autumn. At another point in the install he spliced the existing cable connection outside and used a barrel connector between the dish and inside of the house.

Our installer slapped ours on the roof, even after we mentioned that we didn't want it on the roof. He had other viable options other than using the roof but he also seemed like he was in a hurry to begin with and went with the quickest option. Of course he also ran the wires inside of our gutter as well which makes for real fun in autumn. At another point in the install he spliced the existing cable connection outside and used a barrel connector between the dish and inside of the house.

Then you don't sign the work order. If you're specific that you don't want a roof mount and then he does it anyway, I would say you have a valid damage claim. However, if you sign the work order agreeing that the work is done to your satisfaction, then you're S.O.L.

That was nice to know the first 15 times you posted it.....

My installer was a complete lowsy no good SOB on my dishmover, he installed it at about 9pm, put the dish on a temporary non-pen mount with no bricks to keep it in place, the he laid the non-burial rated cable on the grass and put a barrel on the existing wiring on the outside and didn't ground it either! That cheapskate must of used no more then 25' of coax, it looked like it came off another install. The next day I came out in the sunlight and realized he didn't even put the 3 LNB (dammit) screws in on my dish 1000 either, the feedhorns could come loose at anytime! He was drinking on the job too! Left a coor bottle next to the dish, I thought something was wrong with him.

I'd send off an email to ceo@echostar.com and have his rear but the thing is, it was me that installed it !! :devil:

My installer was a complete lowsy no good SOB on my dishmover, he installed it at about 9pm, put the dish on a temporary non-pen mount with no bricks to keep it in place, the he laid the non-burial rated cable on the grass and put a barrel on the existing wiring on the outside and didn't ground it either! That cheapskate must of used no more then 25' of coax, it looked like it came off another install. The next day I came out in the sunlight and realized he didn't even put the 3 LNB (dammit) screws in on my dish 1000 either, the feedhorns could come loose at anytime! He was drinking on the job too! Left a coor bottle next to the dish, I thought something was wrong with him.

I'd send off an email to ceo@echostar.com and have his rear but the thing is, it was me that installed it !! :devil:

I love it!!!
It will take at least a six pack for me to pull three new cables 100 ft thru my conduit.

fred

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts