Rookie questions

Mr!Phil

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 1, 2012
Hey guys,

I have DP AR PRO for iPhone and also on a galaxy tab. The one on the phone is obviously more accurate. Great app.

Question. On the bottom where it shows pos data it often references a sat not in the pic at all. I will be centering the 119/110/129 and the pos data will say 121.5. Why?

And the skewby number is never close to what we build at. It'll say skew by 30 but the dish is built with a 113 skew. So what does the 30 mean?

CA Traveler

Jul 12, 2012
AZ
Hey guys,

I have DP AR PRO for iPhone and also on a galaxy tab. The one on the phone is obviously more accurate. Great app.

Question. On the bottom where it shows pos data it often references a sat not in the pic at all. I will be centering the 119/110/129 and the pos data will say 121.5. Why?

And the skewby number is never close to what we build at. It'll say skew by 30 but the dish is built with a 113 skew. So what does the 30 mean?
In another thread Alan indicated that he was working on a complete rewrite for the iPhone to resolve several problems. One of the corrections will be the satellite list.

My dish is +- skew and I use 90 - the DR slew number. Perhaps the new version will include a offset option.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
The number is for the (virtual) satellite at screen center. When you line up the screen center with 119 W satellite, you should get the skew BY number for your multi-lnb dish. Since the skew of your dish starts at 90, you would end up at roughly the same number you've been using when you ADD the skew BY number to 90.

Hey Alan, I tried to send you a pm but apparently something went wrong. I made my profile pic the pic I took when using the dishpointer droid app. I am trying to understand if I am doing this right? Is that all I have to do, basically calibrate it and then point it to the sky and see if I can see all 5 sats? If so, then by my photo I should have no issue getting LOS, right? Am I thinking correct here? How does Skew affect LOS or does it?

CA Traveler

Jul 12, 2012
AZ
In another thread Alan indicated that he was working on a complete rewrite for the iPhone to resolve several problems. One of the corrections will be the satellite list.

My dish is +- skew and I use 90 - the DR slew number. Perhaps the new version will include a offset option.
Correction: I'm on the US OR coast and DP AR Pro shows a skew of -20 degrees. My DTV HR 24 receiver shows a tilt of 110 degrees for pointing the dish. From Satellite Guys which supports the DP AR Pro display:

SSkew - Polarity
When you set the skew (Polarity) on your LNBF you are lining up your dish exactly to the same horizontal/vertical position as the satellite in the sky. The satellites all lie in a curve in the sky ( Clarke Belt ) and so are at different heights. Ku satellites use Horizontal and Vertical liner polarization and so the skew has to match the (H/V) position of the satellite for optimum satellite signal strength/quality.

When standing in front of your dish, rotate the LNBF anti-clockwise for
+ skew values.

Rotate the LNBF clockwise for - skew values.

When the LNBF is straight up and down it is in the zero position.

Keep your LNBF in the zero position when using a motor mount.

This info is relevant only for liner Ku band LNBF.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
That's exactly how to use it. Skew doesn't affect LOS.

Mr!Phil

SatelliteGuys Family
Apr 1, 2012
The number is for the (virtual) satellite at screen center. When you line up the screen center with 119 W satellite, you should get the skew BY number for your multi-lnb dish. Since the skew of your dish starts at 90, you would end up at roughly the same number you've been using when you ADD the skew BY number to 90.
k.
Makes sense. Thanks. And, if as I noted, my iPhone app is a lot more accurate than the galaxy tab app....... that's actually a compass issue with the tablet huh?

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
spkb25: That's great to hear. Your feedback is much appreciated

Mr!Phil: I heard only good things about the Galaxy Tab - all users so far reported amazing compass accuracy. Could it be that you have the tab in a case? If so, could you please check if accuracy improves when you not use it in a case? Remember that some cases have magnetic closure buttons which can have adverse effects on the internal compass.

bwexler

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 29, 2007
San Marcos, CA
I wish I was smart enough to be a rookie.
Just installed DP AR on my iPad 2 WiFi only.
DP keeps telling me to turn on location services, even though it is on. Update today it found "location services" and seemed to work almost as expected. I could see the three satellites (110, 119, 129) right on top of the windshield, sitting here in the drivers seat.
Want outside by the tripod dish, there were the 3 sats up above the trees. PROGRESS!!
Now when I moved next to the drivers window where I originally wanted to place the tripod, I could see the 3 sats right in the trees.
Now first question: why is the azimuths at a different angle (direction) at the side of my motor home then at the right front?
Now for the dumb question: What part of the dish do I align with the azimuth angle, the LNB? the arm that holds the LNB? an imaginary line perpendicular to some point on the face of the dish?
Next dumb question: how do I determine the vertical angle to hold the iPad to best duplicate the dish for LOS obstructions? or does it even matter since the camera will show the trees and buildings and the sats will move with the iPad.

Please help become a seasoned expert like you folks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)