Round one of the big Snow fall over

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Broe67

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2013
Central IL.
Waited until the majority of the snowfall was over last night, before going out and brushing off the dish. The wife & I wanted to watch the Internship, so I left well enough alone, since we were not going to be watching anything from the birds.

Signal started to go out around 6:15, when the snow started to build up on the dish. I was not in the mood at that time, to go outside, after spending a hour outside, using the Snow Blower, to clean off mine and my neighbor's drive, which is next to mine.

Did go out there after, reached up with the broom, brushed it off. My dish is only eight feet off the ground, so it makes things so much easier.

I've had good luck so far with this storm .... we got 2.5 inches over night and another 3 so far with more coming, still falling and haven't had signal even think about going out !!!!

I've had good luck so far with this storm .... we got 2.5 inches over night and another 3 so far with more coming, still falling and haven't had signal even think about going out !!!!
Champaign/Urbana Ilhad approx. 6.7" all together.

Yesterday when it all started at 2:30, the roads started to slush up. I stopped counting the idiots in the store parking lots, flying through them at around 30mph, along with people so rude in the stores, it became unbearable.

There is something that definitely falls with the snow, that turns the masse into glorified rude idiotic humans.

My sister lived in Champaign a few years ago. She said it was the flattest place in the US!

I am originally from an area with a lot of snow (VT). I have never once brushed snow off a satellite dish. My parents haven't either. Two close friends I know up there couldn't reach theirs if they did need to. I am sure it's fine if you don't wipe it off. I friend's dish was almost completely buried for a few days and only had a few flutters. In fact, I have never seen signal go out due to only snow - only rain and ice.

I am originally from an area with a lot of snow (VT). I have never once brushed snow off a satellite dish. My parents haven't either. Two close friends I know up there couldn't reach theirs if they did need to. I am sure it's fine if you don't wipe it off. I friend's dish was almost completely buried for a few days and only had a few flutters. In fact, I have never seen signal go out due to only snow - only rain and ice.
Complete signal loss is what you get, when you get an inch of wet snow covering the surface.

Our problem was, that it was we're at first, then turned into a quick heavy snowfall, within an hour. You get total loss of signal,when the LNB is unable to pick any reflection off of the dish surface, under those kind of circumstances.

Just the law of physics at work. Those that have their units mounted high off the ground,should have heaters on them.

WET/Heavy Snow will usually do it ...

Complete signal loss is what you get, when you get an inch of wet snow covering the surface.

Our problem was, that it was we're at first, then turned into a quick heavy snowfall, within an hour. You get total loss of signal,when the LNB is unable to pick any reflection off of the dish surface, under those kind of circumstances.

Just the law of physics at work. Those that have their units mounted high off the ground,should have heaters on them.

I've often considered them, but the units I've looked at have a temp gauge on the heater, so if the temp goes under, say 30, it kicks on ... well, we have a lot of under 30 days that have NO Snow, I don't need it heating the dish when its not snowing.

You can actually place a remote control on them so you can have the power feeding the heater, shut down by using your phone or website. I am using the Cloudbeam WiFi controlled power strip for the light that sits next to my seat, along with other stuff plugged into it. They make a single outlet unit also, that you can control from m.cloudbem.com.

It is the same company that I have a WiFi radio for my 3m Filtrete thermostat. Never have had any issues with their stuff.

You can actually place a remote control on them so you can have the power feeding the heater, shut down by using your phone or website. I am using the Cloudbeam WiFi controlled power strip for the light that sits next to my seat, along with other stuff plugged into it. They make a single outlet unit also, that you can control from m.cloudbem.com.

It is the same company that I have a WiFi radio for my 3m Filtrete thermostat. Never have had any issues with their stuff.

Very interesting ...

The site is supposed to be my.cloudbeam.com. You can get them on amazon.com or through homewerksww.com.

we got about a foot here in SE Michigan. luckily i have a 30ft antenna tower right next to my dish so i can just climb it and brush the dish off. had a few inches on it but signal was still good.

we got about a foot here in SE Michigan. luckily i have a 30ft antenna tower right next to my dish so i can just climb it and brush the dish off. had a few inches on it but signal was still good.

Yup, I'm not too far from you and Sat never even thought about going down ...

It will be the 1/2" Wet Snow that is gonna try to knock it out. :):(

And I'm still going to service calls here to simply wipe snow off a dish. Easy money but weather is crazy, Michigan and Ohio got more snow to my understanding but ours was slightly wetter so it stick to EVERYTHING

And I'm still going to service calls here to simply wipe snow off a dish. Easy money but weather is crazy, Michigan and Ohio got more snow to my understanding but ours was slightly wetter so it stick to EVERYTHING

Yup, you got the water added in to make it sticky ...

So, are you standing at the truck with a Super Soaker to fix the subs reception ? :D

i thought i was getting lucky Erie had more snow this week then we got the whole last winter and DirecTV was holding up yesterday then only the SD channels work and some HD channels work, hit or miss

Dish heaters yes. Now what about the LNB?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yup, you got the water added in to make it sticky ...

So, are you standing at the truck with a Super Soaker to fix the subs reception ? :D

I keep a retractable snow brush on my truck during the winter and yes, I do have antifreeze in a super soaker! People look at me crazy when I busy out a squirt gun but it works ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)