Router password help.....

"cheap"

Hope you get it worked out.

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?" ;)

Dumb question here. Are you saving your settings? Also try to reset back to factory defaults & start over. Most times restoring factory defaults can be accomplished using a paper clip or similar & hold in on reset button until unit resets, lights flashing etc.

Dumb question here. Are you saving your settings? Also try to reset back to factory defaults & start over. Most times restoring factory defaults can be accomplished using a paper clip or similar & hold in on reset button until unit resets, lights flashing etc.
Yep. :) I've got to be overlooking something.....

If there is a wpa mixed mode setting try that. It tends to let you enter your own pass phrase rather than the encryption keys wep wants to offer.

If there is a wpa mixed mode setting try that. It tends to let you enter your own pass phrase rather than the encryption keys wep wants to offer.
It wants me to enter my own passphrase each time. It didn't give me the other option....

When you save the changes do you lose your connection for a min or so?

So, you reset the router. From what I was reading on the link you provided the router came with a passphrase to begin with. Perhaps it reset it to the original and you need to know what that was in order to change it?

How to retrieve a wireless security password

The Pre-Shared Key is your wireless security password, in the form of a word, phrase or series of letters and numbers. The key must be between 8 and 63 characters long and can include spaces and symbols, or 64 Hex (0-F) only. Each client that connects to the network must use the same key (Pre-Shared Key).

The key can be found in 3 different places on your router. The first place is on the wireless security card that came included with your router, it comes taped to the side of your router and fits conveniently in a slot on the underside of your router for storage. The security key is also printer on the top right corner of the product label for your router. This is found on the underside of the router. Finally, you can also login to the routers configuration page to retrieve your wireless key. We have outlined these steps below.

So, you reset the router. From what I was reading on the link you provided the router came with a passphrase to begin with. Perhaps it reset it to the original and you need to know what that was in order to change it?
4. Click Login in the upper right-hand corner of the page. The router does not ship with a password, so just click Submit.
I found no password and security was set to "disabled"

I don't know why but I stopped setting up routers without an active internet connection it causes too many ? even though it should not. You should try it with the internet. Got any screenshots?

I don't know why but I stopped setting up routers without an active internet connection it causes too many ? even though it should not. You should try it with the internet. Got any screenshots?
I'll try it with a 'net connection tomorrow. Just about bedtime for me now. thanks to both of you for the help so far. :)

Thanks all for your help. No matter what, the encryption doesn't take, and it remains an open access point. Oh well at least it DOES work, for 5 bucks not bad.....:rolleyes:

Thanks all for your help. No matter what, the encryption doesn't take, and it remains an open access point. Oh well at least it DOES work, for 5 bucks not bad.....:rolleyes:
Here is a toll free number for Belkin Support. 800 223 5546. I use a Belkin router ( N+ F5D8235-4 v2). I am very satisfied with it.

Wish I could be more help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)