RSN Lack of HD (STO Ohio)

molo316

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 13, 2008
I know the Indians are 1-6 but last night I was flipping the channels and notched the game was not in HD. I looked at the schedule and all games are broadcasted in HD. So I decided to call Dish to found out why this game was not in HD. The CSR told me " We do not have rights to all games in HD, we are working on this, and when we do, your bill wont change". I get all CAVS games in HD. This was the 2 game the Indians had that was not given in HD to us. How in the world are they deciding which are in HD?

Dish reserves only 2 transponders for HD RSNs. When Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey are all going on, sometimes there are not enough chairs in this game of musical chairs.

See this thread...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/170723-fsn-midwest-not-hd.html

Also, true to their word, STO had this banner on their web site Monday...

Urgent Programming Advisory

Alert Dish Network Subscribers: Dish Network has informed STO that they will not carry tonight\'s 4/13/09 Indians vs. Royals game in High Definition. This game will still be available in standard definition (channel 431)

If it makes you feel any better, the Cardinals are 6-2, in first place, and have been shown once in HD on Fox Sports Midwest via E*.

Seattle's first seven games of which only four have been carried in HD by Dish. Called Dish to complain about this and was told they were not notified in time to carry the game in HD. This is pure B.S. I decided to order Comcast and lo and behold I get Speed, Mlb and the baseball extra innings package if i choose. There are several more channels in HD like IFC,E, AMC and Fx. So as far as i am concerned Charlie boy has dropped the ball big time.

It also happens with the Twins on FS North.......Dish did not carry the game in HD even though the game was sent out in HD at the Dome. I know Comcast had that game in HD but not sure about D*.

This is not meant to be a criticism of Dish. But people often wonder what the point is of Direct putting all of their RSNs (except for a small few) on CONUS and ACTIVE full time. This is one reason why. Because each RSN already has its own slot, there is no need for them to compete for transponder space or bandwidth. No matter if others want to consider the Direct RSNs as full time or part time stations, because they are ACTIVE full time, it allows those within the RSN market to see their game in HD whenever it is broadcast in HD, as well as place more games in HD within their sports packages.

This is not meant to be a criticism of Dish. But people often wonder what the point is of Direct putting all of their RSNs (except for a small few) on CONUS and ACTIVE full time. This is one reason why. Because each RSN already has its own slot, there is no need for them to compete for transponder space or bandwidth. No matter if others want to consider the Direct RSNs as full time or part time stations, because they are ACTIVE full time, it allows those within the RSN market to see their game in HD whenever it is broadcast in HD, as well as place more games in HD within their sports packages.

That is true. But the Dish way has certain advantages. Dish has 26 HD RSNs (not to mention 17 others they do not carry in HD). Yet they only need to devote 14 slots to get most games in HD. They just have the most trouble, as I mentioned before, in April as baseball, basketball, and hockey are all going.

If Dish gave each HD RSN a slot, they would need to double the space they alloted to them. Alloting that much space to channels with only reasonal coverage and only occational HD programming people are really interstind in is a difficult decision to make. A trade off some don't like, but Dish has it's reasons.

just give me the games in HD. I do not want the channel in HD any other time. I checked the guide, tonight's game is up, tomorrow game is not nor the Yankees friday night.

That is true. But the Dish way has certain advantages. Dish has 26 HD RSNs (not to mention 17 others they do not carry in HD). Yet they only need to devote 14 slots to get most games in HD. They just have the most trouble, as I mentioned before, in April as baseball, basketball, and hockey are all going.

If Dish gave each HD RSN a slot, they would need to double the space they alloted to them. Alloting that much space to channels with only reasonal coverage and only occational HD programming people are really interstind in is a difficult decision to make. A trade off some don't like, but Dish has it's reasons.
True, and most people do prefer the basic channels in HD. With fewer transponders being used for RSNs, there will be more used for basic channels.

But, there are also a lot of those that want their own RSN in HD 24/7 or at least in HD MOST of the time. Also, if they are active 24/7 it allows for providers to place more HD games within their sports packages.

You are correct, there is a trade off.

Last edited:

Yes, but people dont care about this, what they care about is seeing their RSN in HD 24/7. Here in the Chicago land area, our RSN is on in hd for about 75 percent of the time. I know its the same for all the NYC RSN's. Dish is going to have to put them up in HD soon, or they will continue to shed subs. This is one reason why dish is doing so badley. While dish may have their reasons, they need to re think what they are doing, and look at what the competition is doing. I havent seen a provider other than dish that doesnt have that persons rsn in HD including the alternate channels. Here where I live, Uverse has it, Comcast has it, Directv has it. The only one who doesnt is dish. I see more directv dish's popping up then dish network.

Dish is going to be forced to address this situation sooner than later. RSN's are adding more HD games every year. I would guess that by next winter most if not all games on RSNs will be HD.

No Cincy Games in HD either

Dish/FSOH has not carried a single Cincinnati Reds games in HD yet this year. I assumed they would all be in HD this year. All of the Cavs games are blacked out in zip 41101 even though were are 6 hours from Cleveland. Go figure. DN sure looks like it is run by amateurs most times.

Yes, but people dont care about this, what they care about is seeing their RSN in HD 24/7. Here in the Chicago land area, our RSN is on in hd for about 75 percent of the time. I know its the same for all the NYC RSN's. Dish is going to have to put them up in HD soon, or they will continue to shed subs. This is one reason why dish is doing so badley. While dish may have their reasons, they need to re think what they are doing, and look at what the competition is doing. I havent seen a provider other than dish that doesnt have that persons rsn in HD including the alternate channels. Here where I live, Uverse has it, Comcast has it, Directv has it. The only one who doesnt is dish. I see more directv dish's popping up then dish network.

I see that point too. That is why I advocate a different concept. It may take a while, but I see it as the best solution: put RSNs on spotbeam. The people that most care about getting Sports Time Ohio are in Cleveland. That is why it is rather a waste of CONUS bandwidth.

Yeah, it may cost them out of market package offerings, but I believe only the minority of subs subscribe. Let DirecTV have that market and waste a ton of space. Dish should instead focus on getting you your RSNs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)