RSN's in Philadelphia PA, DMA ?????'s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hemi 6.1

On Vacation
Original poster
May 3, 2007
Wayne County,Pa
Does D* carry any RSN's in the Philadelphia DMA without the sports pack?

I can't seem to find any.

When I was in the NY and Scranton DMA, we got MSG,MSG Plus,YES and SNY.

There isn't even 1 RSN in Philly DMA?
I hope they have a local channel with all the Sports.

Philly DMA is Comcast SportsNet Philly which is not on D* or E*
They carry the 3 sports teams in Philly that have a RSN agreement (obviously not the Eagles)

And why are they not on Satellite? Easy. The FCC terrestrial loophole
Unlike most other cable networks, CSN Philadelphia is distributed only via microwave and fiber optics. The infrastructure Comcast uses for this was left over from the now defunct PRISM Network. Since CSN Philadelphia does not uplink its signal to any satellite, Comcast was able to avoid an FCC regulation that requires most television channels to be offered to direct broadcast satellite (DBS) companies (known as the "terrestrial loophole"). As a result of limited availability, DBS providers DirecTV and Dish Network realized far slower penetration into the Philadelphia market. Craig Moffett, a senior analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. L.L.C., estimated the number of potential customers lost due to the loophole at 450,000.[2]

On January 20, 2010, the FCC voted 4-1 to close the terrestrial loophole.[2] Lawyers for DirecTV and Dish Network had attempted to show that Comcast Corporation, who owns both CSN Philadelphia along with most of the cable systems in the Philadelphia market, acted in restraint of trade because it did not uplink CSN Philadelphia to satellite. Comcast does not plan to appeal the decision, so DirecTV and Dish can negotiate immediately to add the channel to their lineups. Both providers formally asked for access to the channel on June 25, 2010. [3] On July 28, 2010, it was reported that Comcast is in talks with DirecTV and Dish Network for carriage of CSN Philadelphia.

sportspack wont get you any pro sports though so you're still screwed

I can't believe Philly has only 1 RSN.

Eagles, they are all over , which is good, But just wondering why Comcast Philly is the only one.

Any News on if we may get that?

D* and E* have asked for carriage after the loophole is closed but CSN Philly can ask for an outrageous fee to counter it.

I think if both teams are on at the same time (sixers and flyers) there is another option called The Comcast Network (formerly CN8)

According to the Directv Sports Zip code loookup. There is no RSN to serve Philadelphia and surrounding PA counties, however two New Jersey counties in the Philadelphia DMA, Mercer and Burlington are considered part of the New York Area Basketball and Hockey territory (Knicks, Nets, Rangers, Devils, Islanders). Mercer County is also in Yankees and Mets territory. If I were you even if you don't like NY area teams I would move my address to Mercer County. You would have a good chance of seeing the Flyers, Sixers, and Phillies play the other teams.

Yea ,I used North Hampton County. They have no Home teams.

But I like the Eagles, I do like the Yankess, But I'll just get MLB EI next year. I don't watch Hockey that much , But I would like to catch a Flyers game once in awhile.

NY and Scranton WB DMA locals are just suck. NY doesn't do any of PA with weather or News and Pike county is in their DMA, what a joke!

Scranton only ever talks about dumb stuff and they have a whopping 6 channels:mad:

So I picked Philly, and its already 100% better even without the RSN's.

Their weather covers our area,as well as the News makes it right into my old Home town .
Plus they have 20 Channels 8 in HD :)
Philly is 2 1/2 hours away and NY is only 1 hour/45 minutes.
Strange!

I just thought I'd add, They gave me a hard time about "Moving"

They said it was against policy to Move your Leased equipment to a New location.

All I said well I did it anyway, Because I shouldn't be forced into a new contract because I moved.
They Shut right up, and I even took a few more jabs.
They even when as far as saying you need a seperate account if you want to use D* in your vacation home.
Beware "moving"

you got a bad rep then. I've "moved" three times since February and never had issues. 1st time was to get a distant station in the next DMA...then I got it OTA so I "moved" to where I use to live. Had to move back to get the HD upgrade

While it is true that those areas in NJ are in market for the NY teams, until this season, when the Flyers played one of the NY teams it was blacked out in our area. I live in Burlington, NJ. So I was thrilled this year when I was able to view the games. Although, one game that was broadcast on Versus that I tried to watch this year was still blacked out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)