RTN Feeds (East/West) on 83W AMC 9

Status
Please reply by conversation.

equant

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Tucson, AZ
I was getting the two RTN feeds on 83W just fine, but now I don't. I still get a quality over 69% on the transponder (same levels I was getting before), but no video or audio. I rescanned the transponder and I got colorbars.

I haven't seen anyone mention it, so I'm assuming that RTN is still up there, but can I get confirmation that it is? A complete blindscan of the sat didn't find anything.

Thanks

You are in the same boat as I and quite a few others are. If your RTN signal is weak, the nearby frequency from LEO-1 (Video-1) is interfering. The color bars that you detected are from LEO-1's signal.

RTN is still there, if you tune to their channels in the evening and then let the receiver sit on them, sometimes the receiver will lock on and then remain locked on. If you switch sats or channels, then you may lose them again. It all depends upon how strong LEO-1 is at the time. LEO-1 seems to be strongest in the morning hours 7-11 am CDT or else that is when RTN is broadcasting with its weakest power. At least that is how it appears to me.

RADAR

I still get a quality over 69% on the transponder (same levels I was getting before), but no video or audio. I rescanned the transponder and I got colorbars.

This happens to mine (Coolsat 5000) sometimes.

11730H/04342 (LEO-1) is probably overpowering your channel. If a new scan isn't picking up the channel, then turn the receiver off and back on. If that doesn't work, try manually entering new (slightly higher) TP values with a slightly higher symbol rate. I have used the following successfully:

11735H/04450
11736H/04450
11737H/04450
11738H/04450
11739H/04450

and sometimes even higher SR

11735H/04500
11736H/04500
11737H/04500
11738H/04500
11739H/04500.

Depending on your receiver, one of these should pick up RTN East/West.

Ok, thanks. I saw the discussion of the weak signal, but I never considered it weak, because I never had any trouble with it before, and now I wasn't getting it at all.

I'll try some of those settings.

Skew Matters ?

Just for grins, I played with the skew on the 83w LNB.
I found I could raise and lower the quality of the NBC News Channel test pattern by changing the skew. With NBC at 94 %, RTN was lost on the Coolsat 6000 with a 62% quality. I then reduced the skew which lowered the quality of NBC to 90% and raised the quality of RTN to 69%.
This suggests the polarities of the transponders are different by a few degrees. Perhaps the antennas on the satellite differ slightly.
Either way, it costs nothing. Give it a try, it may improve your situation......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)