RTV AMC-9 Quality way up

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My signals are higher here in Northern California usually running around
65 to 67 today they are showing 90 to 91. I hope these signals stay like
this with my coolsat 6000 fta using a primestar dish with standard LNB.

When the temperature drops to -459.67 degrees F (0 degrees Kelvin) the signal will improve due to the Superconductivity of the metal, hence, no resistance to current flow. Currently, my local temperature is approaching absolute zero, so I have a very good signal on all sats.

:D I am just joking, it doesn't work that way, or at least not quite so.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

Superconductivity occurs in certain materials at very low temperatures. When superconductive, a material has an electrical resistance of exactly zero and no interior magnetic field (the Meissner effect). It was discovered by Heike Kamerlingh Onnes in 1911. Like ferromagnetism and atomic spectral lines, superconductivity is a quantum mechanical phenomenon. It cannot be understood simply as the idealization of "perfect conductivity" in classical physics.

The electrical resistivity of a metallic conductor decreases gradually as the temperature is lowered. However, in ordinary conductors such as copper and silver, this decrease is limited by impurities and other defects. Even near absolute zero, a real sample of copper shows some resistance. In a superconductor however, despite these imperfections, the resistance drops abruptly to zero when the material is cooled below its critical temperature. An electric current flowing in a loop of superconducting wire can persist indefinitely with no power source.[1]

Superconductivity occurs in many materials: simple elements like tin and aluminium, various metallic alloys and some heavily-doped semiconductors. Superconductivity does not occur in noble metals like gold and silver, nor in pure samples of ferromagnetic metals.

In 1986, it was discovered that some cuprate-perovskite ceramic materials have critical temperatures of more than 90 kelvin. These high-temperature superconductors renewed interest in the topic because the current theory could not explain them. From a practical perspective, 90 kelvin is easy to reach with the readily available liquid nitrogen (boiling point 77 kelvin). This means more experimentation and more commercial applications are feasible, especially if materials with even higher critical temperatures could be discovered.

RADAR

Noise floor in K (Kelvin) is lower when it's very cold. The ground radiates a lower K and the LNB's temp is lower. Still this big of a jump is not because of the weather. Luken did something. It was a year ago that RTN moved to AMC-9. Maybe they had a one year contract with the uplinker and now transfered to a better provider since the contract was up.

For the first time ever I managed to lock to RTV with a motorized Dish (6 footer C/Ku Gospell) and Q around 40 on the CS8100!!. Very good news , thanks tvropro for posting!.

Big difference here in the Maritimes!

Conaxsat trio 95Q normally 55-65
Pansat 1500 76-90Q normally 40-46

Starchoice 43 X 40 dish with bandstacked LNB

Cheers, Catamount :D

I'm getting S:65 Q:75 on my GEOSATpro 1100c. (1m dish in Southern Ontario) Have noticed the placard on 11775 has been gone for a while now. Its getting cold out as my Digiwave receiver I have to adjust the TP freqency one digit to get RTN to lock now. Its dropping to -10C tonight and staying there for tomarrow. Then dropping to -17C tomarrow night.
I too am hoping the signal level stays, as I do a lot of recording from RTV.

Welcome to Satelliteguys Catamount, there are a few here from the Maritimes. I'm a little farther away, in Ontario and also use a StarChoice dish.

I have a motorized 6 ft dish C/Ku Fortec Dynamic and I have noticed the Q's improvement in all sats (125 to 72) not only on AMC-9. It may sound funny but improvement started once the cold weather began.

I did a new scan on AMC9, and noticed that I have a S95/Q95 on 11728 H 4342. Also the list has updated the RTN with 11734 H 4440. I still get it at 11735 also. Looks like they are trying diffrent Transponders maybe? Anyway, I am getting RTN great on all three Transponders right now at S95/Q95.

That's the lnb drifting a little, most likely. I've scanned RTV in several times and come up with a 2-3 mhz diff in the locked frequency before. Temperature affects mine too.

As far as the signal goes, not the drifting, I'm not sure if the temperature has anything to do with it?
Seems like they have boosted the signal.
Here in Eastern, Ontario, we have had many colder days than today. This week has been warm and the signal on my CoolSat5000 is up to 90% from 65%. Iceberg might be right that they got the check? LOL
Lets just hope that this keeps up and all those posting threads the last few weeks working on it get a lock.
Tracker.

RTV AMC9 Quality Way Up

Did something change with RTV? I've never seen the Quality on AMC 9 so high ever. Im peaking out as high as 89 on the Pansat's tight meter :eek: Averaging high 70's to mid 80's.

This could be a nice New Years present if it lasts. :D

Dear Sir,

No offense, but here on the West Coast, my 9200HD only shows NBC insignia on AMC9. Partly because I bought the 9200HD to obtain RTN broadcasts, this vexes me. If anyone can tell me how I might see that station, please do so.

I find my 9200HD superior to my 3500s in several departments, but I wish that its tuner were more sensitive. AMC6's Pennsylvania Cable Network comes in easily with the 3500s, but the 9200HD receives it only with a great deal of tiling. Again, if anyone has a solution, I would like to see it.

Thanks.

Sincerely,

Gordon F. Corbett

Gordon, you didn't mention the type/size dish you're using, so here goes. Things I would check, on c-band dish with c/ku feedhorn ..1.Feedhorn centering, 2. focal distance. 3.tweak tracking of polar mount. After that and no luck I'd suspect ku lnb if still no RTV, cable and/or connectors.
That's a start!

Well I checked RTV last night and it did improve. Went from the usual 35-39% to the mid 50's on the 30" dish. Hope it stays that way. No great improvement on anything else so it's not weather related here anyway. Blind

79 quality still in MN :)

Hope it stays

here is something to think about....January 4th last year is when Equity/Luken split and Luken hastily got the KU uplink going to appease the affiliates. Maybe after a year they finally cranked up the power? New equipment at the site?

RTV AMC9 Quality Way Up

Gordon, you didn't mention the type/size dish you're using, so here goes. Things I would check, on c-band dish with c/ku feedhorn ..1.Feedhorn centering, 2. focal distance. 3.tweak tracking of polar mount. After that and no luck I'd suspect ku lnb if still no RTV, cable and/or connectors.
That's a start!

Dear TURBOSAT,

Thanks for your reply.

We have a ten-foot standard mesh dish slaved to a DSR-920 4DTV receiver. The dish has an H-H mount that holds very steadily, although adjustments while watching the 9200HD's quality bar have sometimes yielded some nice results. I have heard that the 9200HD's tuner is not very sensitive, and the 3500s's does beat the 9200HD's in that respect; but neither the 3500s nor the 9200HD has been able to receive RTV at AMC9.

Our LNBs do work with other stations on other satellites, e.g., G19. Alas, they are not extra-sensitive (and extra-expensive) Norsats (drool!), but cheap ones from our relatively local repairman-merchant. Nevertheless, they do work with other stations on other satellites.

So far, my results with AMC9 are exactly the same as I got with my 3500s: the NBC insignia, but no RTV.

I will try keying-in Lyngsat's numbers, although this measure has never worked before.

Anyway, please let me know anything I might try to obtain this difficult-to-see station.

And, of course, thanks for trying to help.

Gordon

I'm currently receiving a 79% signal strength on both E and W feeds using a Coolsat 4000 receiver and a 120cm dish. This is the highest I have seen for these channels.

Gordon, besides deleting the tps and channels from AMC9 and starting again, I'm out of ideas. I have not ever tried 'slaving' one receiver off another one, though I've thought about it, so I really don't feel qualified to speculate on that possibly being a problem. If you're getting those NBC bars strongly, seems like you should get any other channels there too, especially since they've seemed to raise the power levels on RTV. I guess I'd probably leave the 4DTV out and try running the lnb-ku line direct to the 9200. (if you haven't already tried that). *one other thing I noted in playing with c/ku lnbs , when they work-they seem to work well. But I never had one last very long, I wear mine out feed-hunting, and found that a separate offset ku dish is a much more reliable system for my uses.

88-90 Quality here today after the snow stopped. On the TIGHT Pansat meter. :eek:

SMOKIN !!!! :D

Just checked this morning showing as high as 90 Q and it's snowing outside with 80% of the dish covered in snow :eek:. This is on my Primestar 90cm using the stock NJR LNB and the Pansat 2700A (tight meter). Normally I got around 45 it would peak to 53 every once in a while on a good day. Since i4tas is in Wisconsin and I'm in Illinois and we both see and increase in the same area, I wonder if they did something with the satellite footprint?

Guys, give your signal report. Tell us your location, receiver and dish size. Let's see if theres a pattern forming for any specific area's of the U.S. and Canada.
Quality is up here from 41 to 92 on 1.0m elliptical w/CS7000 in NorCal.

Pansat 9200HD is showing 88% here in Eastern Maine on a 30" dish. A remarkable increase from the 58% formerly.

Regards, Eric

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)