Rule #1 Do not upset the customer....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I see they gave you your keyboard back .....
Surprised they connected it though ! :D

Here at the shelter for disgruntled techs we are not allowed sharp thing or access to communication equipment. Of course the guards ( client service professionals) always need free cable or forget how to use their remote controls. So we can hack anything we need.

While in residence here my personal project is to rewrite teleprompters during major political speeches. We control the horizontal...we control the vertical already. Soon we will direct the words. By the time they cut me loose it could be a different world out there.

Stay tuned,

Joe

Here at the shelter for disgruntled techs we are not allowed sharp thing or access to communication equipment. Of course the guards ( client service professionals) always need free cable or forget how to use their remote controls. So we can hack anything we need.

While in residence here my personal project is to rewrite teleprompters during major political speeches. We control the horizontal...we control the vertical already. Soon we will direct the words. By the time they cut me loose it could be a different world out there.

Stay tuned,

Joe

Did you already successfully hack the presidents teleprompter? His speech the other day sounded just like one of those hand dryers found in bathrooms :)

Did you already successfully hack the presidents teleprompter? His speech the other day sounded just like one of those hand dryers found in bathrooms :)

We are working on an improvement. One of the problems is that politicians neither understand nor write what they read. Most of the population neither listens nor understands what is said. So nobody will much notice our success. But IF we can make "aye" sound like "nay" we might make some difference in the house and senate.

Stay tuned,

Joe

Am I using the wrong approach

Hello all. This is my first post. I live in a subdivision with fairly narrow lots. My neighbors house is much taller to my west and they have a large oak in their front yard to my southwest. I have been a D* customer since 2005.

I need to upgrade to HD. I called customer service and asked if someone could stop by when in the area and check to see if I would be able to get the needed satellites. The rep checked with the supervisor and said that they couldn't do that but the installer would tell me if I could get the needed signal from the satellites.

This seems to put an unfair burden on the installer and the customer. Is there some other way I should have handled this? I am still undecided as to stay with D* or switch.

I currently have a D10-200 Receiver and when I test the only satellite that comes up is "101(a)". Most transponders read between 93 and 96 with only 2 below 90 at 88. Of course 4 and 18 are 0.

Any advice or help would be appreciated

Bama,

Welcome to the site !!!

Reason you don't have the other sats available to you may be the set up your using, if yopu have been SD all along, you don't need the newer dish and your older dish, depending which one it is may or may not even SEE the other sats.

If you decide to go to D*'s HD, you'll love it.

Call and set up an appointment like Sundrop mentioned and they will tell you if you can get it, LOS wise.

What makes you think you can't get your HD where your current dish is ?

NORMALLY, if you can get a strong signal on the 101 (which you have) they put up the new dish, regardless of which one, they should now be able to get your HD as well. The HD channels are on the Sats that are right next to the 101, 99 and 103 which are only 2 degrees away.

Also, remember the dish arm doesn't point at the Sat, per se, the signal comes in much higher than the arm points, comes down and hits the reflector and bounces into the LNB.

Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the welcome. You've already been very helpful.

I live in a neighborhood that has restrictions. My house faces south. I am confined to the west side of the house for the dish placement. Forgive my ignorance, but the dish is pointed to the southwest and I think the satellite is at 50 degress. it is mounted at the lowest point in the roofline as well (gables).

My biggest concern, based on where the dish is placed currently (southwest corner of the house), is my neighbors oak tree. The dish is pointed right in the center of the oak. It is only about 25 to 30ft from the dish. By reading on this forum and as you just mentioned, about satellites postion is higher than where the LNB is pointed, I assumed that the satellite is above the tree. If the satellites I need for the new service are lower I may be out of luck. My neighbors house is much taller than mine so I am unsure if I clear his house by sliding the dish up the gable.

Tall antennas and or poles are not allowed by HOA.

I am going to call today for the upgrade and hope for the best. I do love the line up better than anyone elses.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi Jimbo,

I live in a neighborhood that has restrictions. My house faces south. I am confined to the west side of the house for the dish placement. Forgive my ignorance, but the dish is pointed to the southwest and I think the satellite is at 50 degress. it is mounted at the lowest point in the roofline as well (gables).

My biggest concern, based on where the dish is placed currently (southwest corner of the house), is my neighbors oak tree. The dish is pointed right in the center of the oak. It is only about 25 to 30ft from the dish. By reading on this forum and as you just mentioned, about satellites postion is higher than where the LNB is pointed, I assumed that the satellite is above the tree. If the satellites I need for the new service are lower I may be out of luck. My neighbors house is much taller than mine so I am unsure if I clear his house by sliding the dish up the gable.

I am going to call today for the upgrade and hope for the best. I do love the line up better than anyone elses.

Sounds like OTARD is your friend

Q: What restrictions prevent a viewer from receiving an acceptable quality signal? Can a homeowners association or other restricting entity establish enforceable preferences for antenna locations?
A: For antennas designed to receive analog signals, such as TVBS, a requirement that an antenna be located where reception would be impossible or substantially degraded is prohibited by the rule. However, a regulation requiring that antennas be placed where they are not visible from the street would be permissible if this placement does not prevent reception of an acceptable quality signal or impose unreasonable expense or delay. For example, if installing an antenna in the rear of the house costs significantly more than installation on the side of the house, then such a requirement would be prohibited. If, however, installation in the rear of the house does not impose unreasonable expense or delay or preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal, then the restriction is permissible and the viewer must comply.
The acceptable quality signal standard is different for devices designed to receive digital signals, such as DBS antennas, digital broadband radio service antennas, digital television ("DTV") antennas, and digital fixed wireless antennas. For a digital antenna to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal, the antenna must be installed where it has an unobstructed, direct view of the satellite or other device from which signals are received or to which signals are to be transmitted. Unlike analog antennas, digital antennas, even in the presence of sufficient over-the-air signal strength, will at times provide no picture or sound unless they are placed and oriented properly.

FCC Fact Sheet on Placement of Antennas

Sounds to me like your community is in direct violation of the OTARD. If the installer states the signal is weak or degraded or not receviable in the area that your community makes you use, then an immediate call to the Federal Communications Commission at (888) CALLFCC (888-225-5322),

Hi Jimbo,

NP,
Keep us posted :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)