Rumor Alert for 2015 Price Changes (Now CONFIRMED)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This year’s annual price hike is especially tricky for DirecTV. It doesn’t want to alarm the FCC or Justice Department, which are reviewing its planned merger with AT&T. Execs also fear that increases will alienate consumers: DirecTV lost U.S. subs in Q3, surprising many analysts. CEO Michael White told them “we are seeing that consumers are becoming much more price sensitive in this economic environment….In the quarter, we saw a pretty significant increase in those [who dropped service] that mentioned price value.” He added that it’s a struggle to raise prices “when median household incomes are flat, particularly for those making less than $50,000 a year.”
DirecTV will maintain its separate Regional Sports Fee, with prices that could rise as much as $2.14 a month depending on the regional sports networks (RSNs) in the market where the customer lives. “In certain areas of the country (determined by ZIP code), DIRECTV is …contractually obligated to carry multiple RSNs.”

Subscribers with a promotional offer, including new customers with a 12 month discount, won’t be affected by the price increases. At least not yet.

deadline.com

Yeah I am surprised the prices are going up as much as they are despite the potential merger. It's not going to lower prices, so hopefully the FCC sees that and puts a stop to DirecTV/AT&T and Comcast/TWC.

Reactions: madmadworld
Yeah I am surprised the prices are going up as much as they are despite the potential merger. It's not going to lower prices, so hopefully the FCC sees that and puts a stop to DirecTV/AT&T and Comcast/TWC.

Lowering prices is not what they look at. They look at will it hurt competition.

Considering there is virtually no overlap with Comcast/TWC, it is virtually impossible to to say that hurts competition.

AT&T is so limited in scope it is hard to say that the merger reduces competition, but clearly DirecTV can point to Dish and others and say it is right in line with they other MVPDs.

maybe there was some type of promo for 2 years? I honestly dont know

They were all owned receivers, but that should make no difference. Don't know. Just glad it was only $5 for as long as it was. Obviously an error from what you and others have posted.

It says the , current Family Package is $57.00. And will go up $2.00 to $59. That is incorrect. I have the Family Package and it is $29.99. It is no promo as DTV doesn't do promo on the lower packages.

Reactions: Mr Tony
To be fair on DTV full pricing its still better than a majority of cable providers.

Here in WV cable providers suck -- you can get Comcast or Suddenlink (people around Clarksburg can get TWC I believe)

My mom has Suddenlink and trying to read her bill lets just say stereo instructions are easier to read. Even with the drop of the Viacom channels Suddenlink hasn't decreased its prices and with her feb bill I feel a price increase coming on. After calling Suddenlink and finally get a full breakdown of the bill the so called "Triple Play" Discount isn't really a discount as she is being charged full price for Basic, Exp Basic, TiVo Premier, HSI 50.0 and Unlimited Phone for $180 then tack on Family Tier $8, TiVo Mini $7 Broadcast Station Surcharge $4.89 (was $2 then $3.25 then $4.15) the bill is over $200/month

After evaluating options I found she could actually get with new pricing Xtra, HD Extra Pack (damn Hallmark Movies & Mystery), RSN Fee, 2 Receivers, ARS $15 with DTV plus keep HSI and Phone through Suddenlink and still pay exactly the same amount. Funny thing is besides the Viacom channels she and my grandmother would get more channels they actually would watch such as MGM and Sony Movies whereas with Suddenlink that's an extra $8/mo. They now save $40/mo for the first year.

Now for the area I live in Comcast is the provider (what a 10 mile difference makes) and I currently pay $50/mo cause my apartment building pays for Comcast's Digital Starter package for everyone. But even with my apartment building paying for cable my first bill looked like this Digital Preferred Add-On $9.99 for 12/mo -- HD Technology Fee $10.00 -- Blast Internet 50.00 $39.99 for 12/mo -- Gateway Rental Fee -- $8.00 -- First Month's bill was close to $70 w/taxes Had I actually paid for my cable tv it would be $151.78. Since landlord doesn't allow DTV or Dish and has a legal right to say no I am stuck with Comcast. However with Comcast you can lower your bill provided your okay with buying your own box (in this case I bought a TiVo Roamio Plus), review Comcast Equipment Policy (which they state they will give you a $2.50 credit for owning your own video equipment) fight to have the HD Technology Fee removed if you own your equipment (took me 2 days and spending 4 hours on phone each day) and buying your own modem now my lovely bill is $50/mo until September of 2015

Still I don't agree with price increases and that includes DTV however their pricing still brings a better value than what Comcast or Suddenlink can offer. Dish was a little more expensive in my comparisons but still provided a better value for the money. Imo the FCC should step in and start regulating this cause it is out of control especially with the extra fees. And I think if Sat/Cable providers charge the Broadcast Fee and/or RSN Fee then the consumer should have the option to take those channels off their bills and not pay the fee.

To be fair on DTV full pricing its still better than a majority of cable providers.

Here in WV cable providers suck -- you can get Comcast or Suddenlink (people around Clarksburg can get TWC I believe)

My mom has Suddenlink and trying to read her bill lets just say stereo instructions are easier to read. Even with the drop of the Viacom channels Suddenlink hasn't decreased its prices and with her feb bill I feel a price increase coming on. After calling Suddenlink and finally get a full breakdown of the bill the so called "Triple Play" Discount isn't really a discount as she is being charged full price for Basic, Exp Basic, TiVo Premier, HSI 50.0 and Unlimited Phone for $180 then tack on Family Tier $8, TiVo Mini $7 Broadcast Station Surcharge $4.89 (was $2 then $3.25 then $4.15) the bill is over $200/month

After evaluating options I found she could actually get with new pricing Xtra, HD Extra Pack (damn Hallmark Movies & Mystery), RSN Fee, 2 Receivers, ARS $15 with DTV plus keep HSI and Phone through Suddenlink and still pay exactly the same amount. Funny thing is besides the Viacom channels she and my grandmother would get more channels they actually would watch such as MGM and Sony Movies whereas with Suddenlink that's an extra $8/mo. They now save $40/mo for the first year.

Now for the area I live in Comcast is the provider (what a 10 mile difference makes) and I currently pay $50/mo cause my apartment building pays for Comcast's Digital Starter package for everyone. But even with my apartment building paying for cable my first bill looked like this Digital Preferred Add-On $9.99 for 12/mo -- HD Technology Fee $10.00 -- Blast Internet 50.00 $39.99 for 12/mo -- Gateway Rental Fee -- $8.00 -- First Month's bill was close to $70 w/taxes Had I actually paid for my cable tv it would be $151.78. Since landlord doesn't allow DTV or Dish and has a legal right to say no I am stuck with Comcast. However with Comcast you can lower your bill provided your okay with buying your own box (in this case I bought a TiVo Roamio Plus), review Comcast Equipment Policy (which they state they will give you a $2.50 credit for owning your own video equipment) fight to have the HD Technology Fee removed if you own your equipment (took me 2 days and spending 4 hours on phone each day) and buying your own modem now my lovely bill is $50/mo until September of 2015

Still I don't agree with price increases and that includes DTV however their pricing still brings a better value than what Comcast or Suddenlink can offer. Dish was a little more expensive in my comparisons but still provided a better value for the money. Imo the FCC should step in and start regulating this cause it is out of control especially with the extra fees. And I think if Sat/Cable providers charge the Broadcast Fee and/or RSN Fee then the consumer should have the option to take those channels off their bills and not pay the fee.

The HD Extra Pack is "free"... Go online, add it free for three months. 2 months and 29 days later, remove it and then re-add it free for 3 months. Rinse and repeat...

Reactions: whitewolf8214
So, I had no RSN fee before and now it will be $2.14, package is going up $4 and extra receiver fee going up $0.50 each for a total of:
$7.14 increase in my bill. UGH! I am about done with pay TV myself.

A lot of people I know drop their package every time there is a rate hike. Then after a few years when they can't cut away anymore from their package they just change providers and start the process all over again and always stay ahead of the game.

I actually expect $5-7 to be normal. I remember 2 years ago when Dish raised their Everything Package by $15 from $104.99 to $119.99. That's when I switched to Directv. Last year, Directv increased the Premier package by $5 from $124.99 to $129.99 and now they're raising it an additional $7 this year.Honestly, a $7 increase does not surprise me considering how greedy we've seen programmers like Fox, Disney/ESPN, CBS, Comcast/NBC, have all become in the last few years.
I've been with D* for 9 years now and off and on before that ...
If they start going up $5 + every year, I will be looking at other options.

I hope this merge doesn't hurt consumers, I have DirecTV for a month now with no contract,but from experience with my old company that was one of the best in my industry got merged with a bigger company and it didn't work out to good for the customers as about 85% where lost due to higher price increases, poor service and management we lost half of techs and being micro managed . I hope I'm wrong, but only time will tell.p.s. it didn't happen overnight but it was a slow death.

I am thinking it's time to move on. Maybe get Dish or TWC. Tired of price increases all the time, it's such a pain in the ass.
Look around an do your homework first ...
Pretty sure you will find that all the providers increase rate yearly.

Theres a DISH Price increase thread going right now.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)