Rumor Alert - Goodbye DISH Platinum... Hello Blockbuster Movie Pass!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hope so! As I said before, Blockbuster streaming service was horrible last winter so we'll see if the oversight of DishNetwork can change that. It would be real bad if after all the 'we'll do it better than Netflix' bragging the launch is a complete bust. I won't be nixing Netflix just yet. It's working too good for me now, and what a bargain. It's a tall order for Dish to improve upon.

For those who live too far away for 'true/no-bandwidth-cap' HS internet (yes, still folks out there where only options is satellite internet or dial-up), the option for DVD mail delivery will be most appreciated. ...assuming the postal service doesn't go belly up!

Hall- if you had a good Comcast ISP, 45Mbs you would get Netflix streaming movies in HD quality DD5.1 audio in 2-3 seconds upon selection and it streams with no stuttering and looks like DishNetwork HD channels off satellite. That part is actually faster than my Blu ray player loads a BD! It's not BluRay quality yet but getting there. I think we can thank Level 3 and Limelight companies for this quality. They and a few others are the behind the scenes companies that actually bridge the streaming services from Netflix to your ISP. They do Vudu and Hulu as well as many networks too.

This cannot happen fast enough because when you can stream 1080p/24 online the price of the Blurays will have to come down to compete.;)

And while I also have AT&T DSL with 6MB down and 764k up with no issues with NetFlix not everyone with DSL can get those speeds or cable speeds either,so adaptive streaming hopefully will assist those in need.Also hope Dish Network will have adaptive streaming on their Dish Cinema/TV Shows/Networks offerings also.
Bring It!.:)

Directv's VOD is the same way, once again, implementation. They said "streaming" service, not download. Netflix is "streaming" as is Vudu.
I'm almost positive that Dish claims "streaming" to some extent or another currently. Also, I don't know how "Video On Demand" can apply to something that takes 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or hours (depends on your internet speed) before it can be watched.

Hall- if you had a good Comcast ISP, 45Mbs...
Maybe you don't realize that Comcast isn't available 'everywhere'. I think Time Warner does offer much faster speeds but I'm just not interested (currently). For normal internet, no one can tell the difference between 3mb service and 30mb service... Of course, people's definition of what's 'normal' will vary.

I hope this happens very fast!!! I use my Vudu acct on my PS3 for movies more than my 722k just because i can stream in HD. With Dish i have to wait for it to download (VOD) to my HDD in order to watch it unless it is PPV. (which i nvr really understood that i can stream a HD film on Vudu but have to wait hours to watch HD on 722k??) Plus Vudu has such a large selection. If i could stream all of BB selection in HD i would be ecstatic

I hope this happens very fast!!! I use my Vudu acct on my PS3 for movies more than my 722k just because i can stream in HD. With Dish i have to wait for it to download (VOD) to my HDD in order to watch it unless it is PPV. (which i nvr really understood that i can stream a HD film on Vudu but have to wait hours to watch HD on 722k??) Plus Vudu has such a large selection. If i could stream all of BB selection in HD i would be ecstatic
No problem streaming HD with a WiFi broadband connector with my 722K. Internet provider is Comcast.

No problem streaming HD with a WiFi broadband connector with my 722K. Internet provider is Comcast.

Thats what is so confusing to me......i can stream great with PS3. If i go to watch a Dish on demand show i can watch it is SD right then and there but if i select HD takes forever to load and then buffers like hell constantly. I have both hard wired to my home plug. I have 4mb/dl......wierd

Scott, any thought on if there will be some type of audience that will be asking questions at the press confrence?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

Given the Netflix situation, I'm excited to hear about this. I'll wait for the announcement, but I'm disappointed about the rumor that 922s will come later. I thought the 922 was the flagship product. Perhaps it's time to upgrade to the 722k.

This sounds almost too good to be true!
I fear a price increase sometime next year, giving me platinum, 1 dvd at a time and streaming for $10 is great, but if it goes to $15 in a year it will start to scare me.

Scott, you mention variable stream rates, have you possible already been able to test/see this for yourself? :)

This sounds almost too good to be true!
I fear a price increase sometime next year, giving me platinum, 1 dvd at a time and streaming for $10 is great, but if it goes to $15 in a year it will start to scare me.

Programming prices are frozen til January, 2013.

I've been sitting on the fence about switching for several months. This pushed me over. I'm getting E* installed tomorrow morning, weather permitting. It's wet here in Eastern PA and I've gt a 2 story roof mount so it may be postponed.

True. Dish could change their promotion for Oct. 1st and no longer offer the price freeze. The people who originally signed up under the price freeze promo would continue with their current price.

The new service will use adaptive streaming and should start playing almost instantly. ;)

THANK YOU! That makes my decision an easy one. :D
For $10.00 a month:

1) Access to all of the hd & sd plat channels.
2) Streaming video from Blockbuster over my 722k dvr + one Dvd at a time from Blockbuster by mail . Can be traded into nearby store for another one in my queue.:popcorn

Goodbye Netflix, you greedy bastard.:mad:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts