Rumor: AT&T looking to launch the Nokia Lumia 820, 920 on November 2nd

Why was it that no one was allowed to actually toch the phone at the launch?

Geronimo:

It lends an air of exclusivity ;) No, seriously, it is kind of weird that they didn't allow hands on. I wonder if they were faking the handsets like they did the OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) demos.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Geronimo:

It lends an air of exclusivity ;) No, seriously, it is kind of weird that they didn't allow hands on. I wonder if they were faking the handsets like they did the OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) demos.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

I have to suspect that there is something about the devices or the OS that is not final. The lack of an SDK makes me think it is the OS.

Why was it that no one was allowed to actually toch the phone at the launch?

Probably because they were fake. Now it turns out that even the still photos were fake (video was admitted to being fake before):

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...7639722171451042.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read

Nokia Corp. on Saturday expanded its apology for misleading marketing materials used in the launch of a new line of phones.

The company earlier this week admitted to not having used the "PureView" camera on Nokia's forthcoming Lumia 920 hand-held device to shoot a portion of a video that initially was represented as being captured by technology on that phone. On Saturday, the company said additional pieces of the promotional material, such as still photography, were also a simulation.

In both cases, Nokia was called out by independent blogs for not having disclosed that the images—advertised as having been captured on the Lumia device—weren't actually captured by a Lumia.

Nokia used a hand-held video camera and lighting rig rather than the Lumia to create the material in question. Then it used that material as evidence in claiming that the technology in its new phones, set to go on sale later this year, was superior to technology already on the market from competitors.

Nokia is starting to seem like BlackBerry now... Our next phone will be killer, just don't buy anything else while we work to perfect it!

Yep. How many sales will be left after the new iPhone debuts? Seems desperate.

Very disappointing that they would fake all aspects of the camera demonstration. So what's left that they demonstrated and how much of that was faked? At this point it calls into question the entire "demonstration".

And more to the heart of the matter, who was stupid enough to approve such a choice?

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=27633

If these phones fail again don't worry says Nokia... We are working on more:

Harlow said, "This is a step in the journey. This characterization that it is the last step is not reality. These are two devices; they’re not all the devices that we’ll base on Windows Phone 8. This is our strategy and it’s a journey; there’s not one moment in time that defines everything."

Analysts are not so enamored with the new phones, even if they work as well as the fake demo says they will:

An analyst from CCS Insight said, "It’s hard to see Lumia 920 beating the rival Samsung Galaxy SIII or expected iPhone 5 – success depends on keen prices, clear differentiation and defections from existing platforms iOS and Android."

The "defections from existing platforms iOS and Android" are problematic as most of the people I know with Android and iOS devices are quite happy with them.

You guys are making me think that all these threads announcing the latest phones do't tell the whole story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts