Rumor -- Brighthouse to Activate Line 2!

Khandurian

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
Cocoa Beach Baby!
While talking with some of the higher ups today in my area... They CONFIRMED that line 2 is going to be up and running....

The would NOT give a time.... they just said "soon"... So, it looks like that within hopefully the next 2 months(?) (this is the rumor part) that Line 2 will be available for those that have digital phone service....

UGH, honestly, I wish cable had never gotten into the phone buisness.... But I guess you have to do these things to stay competitive....

Enjoy....

i guess this is good news. i just had them put an outlet in my bedroom and neatly run the cable into the living room, plugged into a splitter in line one of the modem.

HEH.... if you have their digital phone service, you will notice on the back of the MTA, there are 2 connectors for phones... line 1 and line 2....

I should have stated that this is in the area of Brevard County Florida....

Anyways, with the many, many MTA's that ive installed in this area... I already can see this is gonna cause massive problems... Especially those homes with alarm systems.... UGH...

Hmmmm......

Most people wanted second phone lines because:

1) They had teenagers in the house (this is no longer a valid reason for a second line as most teenagers use cellphones and IM to communicate now)

2) The line was always tied up with someone on dialup (I don't think I need to explain why this isnt a valid reason any longer)

3) A fax was needed (and with the advent of email and scanner, the need for fax service disappeared about 5 years ago).

4) An alarm system (and most of the better alarm systems now have a cellphone hookup which is better as the line cannot be cut outside - as was the norm once alarms were connected to phones).

So I am somewhat surprised that 1) they would not have activated additional lines in the past (as the time for needing a land based second line at home has come and gone) and 2) Who actually needs a second land based line at home these days?

Given the number of Hurricanes in Florida over the past 2 years, anyone with any sense knows a cellphone is a much better idea for a second line and in many cases people are even using them as their primary lines - I even saw a study that in one demo, 22% did not have a landline phone at home.

Last edited:
What their banking on from the people ive been talking to, is the households that have teenagers that need a second line....

Their also banking on the space center weenies that still have to have fax machines at their homes for document signing...

And last that fall into the catagory are the doctors and nurses...

You'd be surprised how many people still have dedicated fax machines in our area and get used every day....

Khandurian said:
What their banking on from the people ive been talking to, is the households that have teenagers that need a second line....

Their also banking on the space center weenies that still have to have fax machines at their homes for document signing...

And last that fall into the catagory are the doctors and nurses...

You'd be surprised how many people still have dedicated fax machines in our area and get used every day....

The teenagers have wireless phones and IM online. Their timing for second line is about 10 years late.

Quite frankly, I had a fax line with rollover on a hunt group in my house that I disconnected 2 years ago.

I needed it it through the 90s.

I saw its use falling off 2000-2001. The faxes were down to around 1 a day....all spam faxes trying to selling me toner cartridges, Health Insurance, refinance my home or general BS.

So I disconnected both lines. Then I kept track for 18 months of how many people needed to send me a fax instead of sending it email (scanning into .pdf). Exactly 2 did not do that in 18 months.

I decided it wasnt worth around $25 per line (or $50 a month) to have 2 people send me 2 important documents in 18 months that could not be emailed.

I told those people to overnight it and gave them my Fed Ex account.

If it was really important, I would have them send it to the UPS Store a mile away in a strip center. Thus far I have not needed to do that as nothing time sensitive could not be emailed in pdf, signed and scanned back into a pdf and emailed back.

Much cheaper and more efficient.

No reason to spend $50 a month so people could spam me.

Well, as I said, their banking on the industry here in brevard... I dont know where your at or located as you dont have a location set... but I used to do installs for 5 years in this area, and fax machines are still important and being used every day around here.

I dont expect it to be a large roll out... but there will be enough of them to satisfy those who run the operation and roll out...

Just to throw you another bone... Brighthouse is going multi-carrier as well....

Multi-carrier you ask?! can we say Cellphones??!! Yes, they plan on going into that avenue as well.... Your one stop shop for telephones, cell phones, cable tv, and internet!!!!

Khandurian said:
Well, as I said, their banking on the industry here in brevard... I dont know where your at or located as you dont have a location set... but I used to do installs for 5 years in this area, and fax machines are still important and being used every day around here.

I dont expect it to be a large roll out... but there will be enough of them to satisfy those who run the operation and roll out...

Just to throw you another bone... Brighthouse is going multi-carrier as well....

Multi-carrier you ask?! can we say Cellphones??!! Yes, they plan on going into that avenue as well.... Your one stop shop for telephones, cell phones, cable tv, and internet!!!!

I think that this is funny and stupid on Brighthouses part. They should have started offering 2 lines. I worked for Charter in their Telephone Repair department and we launched our VOIP based product offered up to 2 lines. Never had a problem with offering two lines out of the same MTA.

EDIT/Correction: Only problems we had with offering 2 lines was inside wiring issues such as telephone jacks on the wrong number. Nothing had to do with the VOIP end of things. Technically we could offer 4 numbers: 2 line numbers and a distinctive/teen telephone number on each.

Mark

Last edited:
Ya, I guess I should have been more clear on that. 99% of the problems we run into here are when customers run their own wires. Nothing worse than the thinking of, "all i have to do is splice here and run a new line there"... UGH!

Ya, I guess I should have been more clear on that. 99% of the problems we run into here are when customers run their own wires. Nothing worse than the thinking of, "all i have to do is splice here and run a new line there"... UGH!

lol so true!!!!!!......anyways i kno this is an older thread..but just gotta say nowadays is trully a waste of money........

Well, I am kinda glad you brought this back up again. It seems that they "delayed" the roll out of the second line due to, go figure, lack of interest.

Well, it appears their gonna try again, as it seems interest is up(?)

Honestly, I wish they would just forget about the idea of having the second line. But, when your a money hungry power glutton of a pig, you do what you can.

This time the rollout is supposed to be December time frame. However, If they decide again not to do this, it should roll out in February.. we shall see!

Well, I am kinda glad you brought this back up again. It seems that they "delayed" the roll out of the second line due to, go figure, lack of interest.

Well, it appears their gonna try again, as it seems interest is up(?)

Honestly, I wish they would just forget about the idea of having the second line. But, when your a money hungry power glutton of a pig, you do what you can.

This time the rollout is supposed to be December time frame. However, If they decide again not to do this, it should roll out in February.. we shall see!

eh if they do great for those who "needs" it......i honestly rather brighthouse offer the 3 way conferencing (if i spelled it right lol) line....wich i still do not understand why they dont have that, now that is something they should of added since day one on the service..but idk whats the deal with that..

eh if they do great for those who "needs" it......i honestly rather brighthouse offer the 3 way conferencing (if i spelled it right lol) line....wich i still do not understand why they dont have that, now that is something they should of added since day one on the service..but idk whats the deal with that..

Well, you will be happy to know 3-way calling is coming! I have a feeling its gonna be December. The techs were given instructions on how to use, utilize, setup, and demonstrate the different type of MTA's that we have.

It was mentioned during this time that 3 way calling will be enabled soon. Most likely for a small cost I'm sure!

I will keep ya'll updated as soon as I know more!

Well, you will be happy to know 3-way calling is coming! I have a feeling its gonna be December. The techs were given instructions on how to use, utilize, setup, and demonstrate the different type of MTA's that we have.

It was mentioned during this time that 3 way calling will be enabled soon. Most likely for a small cost I'm sure!

I will keep ya'll updated as soon as I know more!

yea thanks....i got on one of my bills A LONG TIME AGO about them going 3 way...so i am yet to see the add on....thought that be really stupid if you gotta pay!, i mean common, 3 way is way standard, and if it wasnt for the 15.0 mbps down and 2.0 mbps internet speeds (in my area) i would of gone with vonage a long time ago! lol...but then again , we might get surprised of them just adding it....thought even if its a "new" feature when it comes out, its gonna b like eh....its nothing new..thought it will be a finally nice feature added.......well i hope its next month....thought i have my cell that is 3 ways if anything so its not important....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)