Rumor: DirecTV considering buying Tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The DIRECTV DVR's use a lot of technology from TIVO as DIRECTV has an agreement with TIVO to do so. If DISH purchased TIVO DISH could choose not to renew it or DISH could try to squeeze them for a lot of money for licensing. Or DISH could possibly even try forcing DIRECTV to shut their DVR's down.

Thats why I say its a smart move for DIRECTV to buy TIVO before DISH does.

Directv bought replay tv awhile back. Tivo and Replay had an agreement not to go after each other back in the day I'm not sure Dish buying Tivo would in anyways hurt Directv. I do know that Directv buying Tivo really sticks it to dish.

The DIRECTV DVR's use a lot of technology from TIVO as DIRECTV has an agreement with TIVO to do so. If DISH purchased TIVO DISH could choose not to renew it or DISH could try to squeeze them for a lot of money for licensing. Or DISH could possibly even try forcing DIRECTV to shut their DVR's down.

Thats why I say its a smart move for DIRECTV to buy TIVO before DISH does.

I can see charlie now .... Well you honor remember those patents we so strongly aruged were invalid so we did not have to pay tivo for infringement. Well since we know own tvio we like to argue that the patents were valid and we like to now sue Directv.

Yeah that would go over real well with the courts.

If anything owning tivo and replay's patents profillilo would be great for directv and bad for dish.

If Dish had bought them a few years ago they would easily have saved enough in legal bills to about cover it. Just guessing, but they must have spent a ton on their legal battle with Tivo.

Well I think Google Tv is really going to be what Dish will call their DVR function. If Direct Tv or Tivo is dumb enough to go after Google they will have their hat handed to them. Google is not a dumb company.

PS I am just guessing on the DVR part since at the last Google show or whatever they said Dish will offer Google TV over the VIP series or units with bulit in hard drive so this is a guess on my part.

Directv bought replay tv awhile back. Tivo and Replay had an agreement not to go after each other back in the day I'm not sure Dish buying Tivo would in anyways hurt Directv. I do know that Directv buying Tivo really sticks it to dish.

That, my friend, is in direct violation of The Robinson-Patman Act.

That, my friend, is in direct violation of The Robinson-Patman Act.

The Robinson-Patman Act does not fall under that situation. Because it was not price fixing or Discrimination on price.

Replay and Tivo have (had) an agreement to mutually not try to sue each other over there respective patents since Tivo and Replay have the most patents on DVRs then any other company. This agreement not to sue each other into a blackhole of lawyer debt is something most tech companies do these days. It has been the case ever sense Apple lost it's case over there claim that windows 95 infringed on Apple GUI patents. Apple lost alot of money on that .

Just be advised that some of these rumors are started by people who want to get into or out of certain investments. I dont really see much advantage to directv in owning tivo. Dish would have been smart to try and buy them out a few years back.

I suspect directv now thinks their product is as good as tivo's and I doubt we'll ever see a directv/tivo box.

Too me I could see this being a good investment. Now it all depends on what Directv pays to develop software and future builds. If you figure costs to license features and develop it might be cheaper to do Tivo. Not to mention then they get an additional revenue stream from the current Tivo line up.

In the end I think Tivo will need to be bought up by someone as that part of the market is shrinking.

The problem is..TIVO doesn't have a revenue stream (unless u count lawsuits)

Actually the revenue side is growing nicely and beating expectations. the problem is that the cost side is grwong just as fast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts